• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Florence Manton Mystery - lived Woodman Inn & Witton Arms 1881 +

Are the details in IWM added by users?

The death is incorrect, there is no death reg. in Kings Norton in 1915. The death reg. is in Axbridge, Somerset, Age listed is 20. I think whoever has added those details has confused the 2 different Arthur Samuel Dudleys.
I couldn't agree more.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I can't access this properly as the orignal is on Fold 3 but I think the details can be made out.
Army no is 3852 and Mother's name is Alberta Bertha
Dudley pension.JPG

Also the effects register leaves Arthur Samuel's effects to his father Arthur J - again making it the one born in 1895 as per post # 28
effects reg.JPG

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I am aware that this could go on forever so ,I think the only way for Burbridge to acceot our findings or tp prove us wrong is if he/she gets the death certificate for the person who died in 1915, UK records show that there was only one death of an Arthur Dudley in 1915, he died age 20 in Burnham registered in their registration region Axbridge somerset. Volume 5c page 778.

Finally - the other Arthur Samuel is on the absent voters eroll of 1918 at 5 Ladypool Road
1918 eroll Arthur S.JPG
and still there in 1920
1920 eroll.JPG

This is quite confusing... It's important to establish the correct Arthur Samuel - I know for sure they were from Beerkeeping backgrounds and my info fits - except for his parents who should be Arthur Frederick Dudley and Elizabeth (Moreton). I need to spend some time cross referencing info. Thanks for all your help thus far everyone. Never expected Arthur's credentials to be in question.

Last edited:
Here is your Arthur Samuel Dudley in 1921, listed as a barman at 70 Bromsgrove St.

1921 - ASD.jpg

There are matching ERs on which he is listed as Artur Samuel Dudley.

I am aware that this could go on forever so ,I think the only way for Burbridge to acceot our findings or tp prove us wrong is if he/she gets the death certificate for the person who died in 1915, UK records show that there was only one death of an Arthur Dudley in 1915, he died age 20 in Burnham registered in their registration region Axbridge somerset. Volume 5c page 778.

All this new info re Arthur Samuel Dudley leads me to accept your findings re the said soldier. Florence maintained (info passed down) that she was widowed and her husband had been killed in the 1st WW. It all seemed to fit and many others have cited the same info - which often happens as people copy correct and incorrect info but it appears to be wrong now. If Arthur S lived beyond the war both he and my grandmother therefore remarried bigamously (not unusual) as they did not divorce as far as I know. Thanks everyone for bringing this to my notice - it's been v helpful.

The point of my last 2 posts is to show that we have 2 Arthur Samuels both with Father's named Arthur which comlicates the matter.

Question: do you have the marriage cert of "your" Arthur's marriage to Florence. If so what is his Father's name and occupation? This could be key to establishing which Arthur Samuel is yours.
Unfortunately not to hand as my genealogy files are in storage due to a recent house move. When I have them I will return the info.

Sorry that we never did answer your original question as to why Florence left.
Possibly as Alberta said in post#2

Sorry that we never did answer your original question as to why Florence left.
Possibly as Alberta said in post#2
Possibly so Janice thanks for your help again. Should I be able to clarify further I will post back on here my findings - just in case at some point somebody reads the trail and can help any further.

I suppose your best hope is that a descendant of Arthur Charles Dudley comes across this thread, though what he may have been told and then passed on may be a little one sided.

He appears to have had one son, who possibly had 4 children so it looks like there are descendants out there.

Arthur Samuel and Violet seem to have had a son but I don't think he had any children and Violet also had a daughter.

I think there must have been a reason why these 2 people with religious beliefs didn't marry but had 2 children.
I think Edward was aware of the situation and Florence obtained a divorce.
They married in 1924 and the year previous it had been made possible for wives to divorce their husbands for reasons that only men could do before this.
They may have just married without a fuss and their family still believed the WW1 widow story.

Sorry Burbridge that's another task for you obtaining their marriage certificate and seeing what her status was.It can be neverending this Family tree lark:)

Last edited:
I think there must have been a reason why these 2 people with religious beliefs didn't marry but had 2 children.
They married in 1924 and the year previous it had been made possible for wives to divorce their husbands for reasons that only men could do before this.
They may have just married without a fuss and their family still believed the WW1 widow story.

Sorry Burbridge that's another task for you obtaining their marriage certificate and seeing what her status was.It can be neverending this Family tree lark:)

Hi, on their marriage Cert - I know that my GF Edward was a widower (ex Metropolitan Police Officer) and Florence stated as a widow - she married using her married name of Dudley not Manton; Edward and Florence had lived together in Islington 1916/17 and were living in Poole Dorset at the time of their marriage in 1924. I do know that Edward's first wife Esther was still alive when Leonard and Marion Burbridge were born but unwell - I understand that she may have been cognitively impaired having had a stroke; Edward couldn't marry until she died.
Interesting to learn of the change in divorce laws. Thanks for your thoughts Alberta.

Back