• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fletcher Family

Bluelady14

proper brummie kid
I am writing the Fletcher family history book, producing a personal DVD of my research and a reunion in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada this summer. I've learned that most Fletcher family members since 1705 were born and lived in Birmingingham for most of their lives. I'm looking for photographs and stories. The blood line is: Samuel Fletcher around b.1705; Joseph b.1742; John b.177l: John b. 1796; Alexander b. 1829; William b. 1848; Alexander b. 1886 (my grandfather). I live in California and can't visit grave sites or local libraries. Will answer any questions about my research and would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who is familiar with my Birmingham Fletcher family.

Were all these people born in Birmingham because the only Alexander Fletcher born in the area in the 1880s appears to have been born in 1883, the son of an Alexander Fletcher (b Barbados) and Sarah Eliza Wheeler.

Ok, I think I've got it. Is it Alexander John Fletcher b1886 Yeovil, son of William Henry Fletcher (son of Alexander above, 1st marriage) and Harriet Potter?

You may have seen these already (assuming I have the right people) but...

Elder Alexander's 1st marriage and William Henry's marriage appears to have been All Saints, Hockley. There some info and a couple of good photos here...

Elder Alexander's 2nd and 3rd marriages appear to have been at St Andrew's, Bordesley. Some pictures here...

Ok, I think I've got it. Is it Alexander John Fletcher b1886 Yeovil, son of William Henry Fletcher (son of Alexander above, 1st marriage) and Harriet Potter?
I appreciate your response. Yes, you do have the right family. Unfortunately, what I submitted was my record of the Fletcher blood line, however, when they ended their terms in the military, they returned with their families to Birmingham. I'm going to go through my research right now so I can be sure of those (a) were born in Birmingham or (b) returned to Birmingham after serving in the military. Thank you very much for the information you've researched on my behalf. I'll be back in touch with more accurate distinctions between (a) birth in Birmingham and (b) raised in Birmingham. Willliam Henry Fletcher was born in Birmingham, however, with his family moved to Yeovil, where he had a successfull business and more children and finally to Bristol where he and Harriet Potter lived until his death (and where my grandfather Alexander John Fletcher had already emigrated to Canada.)

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
With a number of William Henry's siblings and uncles remaining in Bham, you would think there must be some descendants still in the region.

Alexander and his third wife appear to have been buried at Witton Cemetery. Some of your Fletcher ancestors have interesting names.

And here's a 1839 map of Bham with Loveday St (1851 for both John and Alexander) marked. Lench St (1861 for John) is at right angles to it...

0 - Loveday St.jpg

Thank you for this information and the map. I truly appreciate it. Because my grandfather Alexander John Fletcher and his sister Lillian Fletcher (Burr) never spoke about their families or lives in England, our Fletcher family knows nothing about their lives and families in England except for what I've researched. I, too think there are Fletcher family members still in the Birmingham area who might have relevant stories and/or photographs. Can you recommend a newspaper or some manner by which I can politely make this request? I'm certainly willing to pay for it.

I'd say there are a couple of ways to find any Bham living relatives (or any from Bristol/Yeovil). Search for family trees on Ancestry etc - and there does appear to be a number that contain William Henry's half brothers (Alexander and Isaiah) and probably others on Ancestry - and make contact. Or put as many extended Fletcher members into your family tree and upload it to Ancestry etc and see if anyone makes contact with you.

There is a chance that relatives may see your posts here as well, I know I have a few (distant) relatives who are also members.

There is also a tree on familysearch, though there appear to be a number of gaps in it.

Alexander (William Henry's father) appears to get 3 mentions in the Bham newspapers in the 1860s. In 1863 he takes over his brother John's business, in 1864 an employee is in court charged with embezzling money from him and in 1868 the death of his son Walter Scott.

There is also a tree on familysearch, though there appear to be a number of gaps in it.

Alexander (William Henry's father) appears to get 3 mentions in the Bham newspapers in the 1860s. In 1863 he takes over his brother John's business, in 1864 an employee is in court charged with embezzling money from him and in 1868 the death of his son Walter Scott.

Thank you very much for what you've researched on behalf of my Fletcher family. Once they moved from England to Canada they didn't share anything about their families or their lives in England. Although in my personal research I've found dates and dates, I'm sorely missing actual stories and family events. For that reason, I truly appreciate how I've been supported in that regard just by joining Birmingham Family History.

I think most people who do their family tree would agree that family stories (and photos) are the holy grail but are not easy to come by for ordinary people, especially as you go further back. If you're lucky a relative or two will get a mention in the newspapers, usually because they've had brush with the law. For the most part the more you find out the more questions you have.

In regarding newspapers, William's brother Adolphus appears to have made the papers a couple of times in the 1860s, for deserting from the Warwickshire militia and breaking into a warehouse.

A number of your relatives appear to have lived in the Hockley area of Bham - Loveday St, Bracebridge St, Price St etc - and there are threads for some of those streets with photos (possibly from a little later). Two of William's half sisters - Beatrice and Rose - who appear to have remained unmarried, lived for a number of years in Farm St (2 back 233) and there is a very long thread about it here which may give you some impression what their live may have been like...

Thank you so much for what you've researched about my Fletcher ancestors.
Can you please let me know the newspapers name and how you found these important articles re: my Fletcher family members so I can follow up?
I will now look for photographs and more information on Farm Street Hockley. I appreciate your comments about that area and would not have known to research it. FYI - I tried a few times to get the result from the email address, but it didn't work for me. Again - thank you for making this effort on behalf of my Fletcher family.

Can you please let me know the newspapers name and how you found these important articles re: my Fletcher family members so I can follow up?
I will now look for photographs and more information on Farm Street Hockley. I appreciate your comments about that area and would not have known to research it. FYI - I tried a few times to get the result from the email address, but it didn't work for me. Again - thank you for making this effort on behalf of my Fletcher family.
hi blue lady as said in my previous post we have a thread for farm street and i know for a fact that i have posted at least 20 old photos taken before the street was demolished

lyn

The newspapers are available on findmypast. I'm not sure if they have a US site. To find the articles it's just a case of searching for a name in Bham newspapers in certain date ranges. Sometimes something crops up and you work out if the result may be relevant, and sometimes nothing.

For Alexander Fletcher...

5 Mar 1863, Bham Daily Gazette - a partnership dissolved.
11 Nov 1863, Bham Daily Post; 14 Nov 1863 Bham Journal & Aris's Bham Gazette - Alexander takes over company from his brother John.
20 Feb 1864, Bham Journal - report of employing embezzling money from Alexander.
16 Apr 1864, Bham Journal - follow up from above, employing receives 3 months.
8 Aug 1868, Bham Journal - death of Walter Scott, son of Alexander (Hatchett St) grandson of John (Lench St).

For Adolphus Fletcher (I incorrectly said William's brother but he is Alexander's brother)...

15 May 1862, Bham Daily Gazette - deserts from Warks Militia.
27 Nov 1863, Bham Daily Gazette (others dates & papers) - breaking into a warehouse.

Thank you very much for this information. I've had to be out of town and have just returned to the Birmingham History Forum and appreciate what you've researched on my behalf. I'll take your advice re: Birmingham newspapers on Find My Past since I'm a member. I'm doing my best for my Canadian family, researching their Birmingham ancestors because it personalizes the families Alexander Fletcher and Lois Moseley Richards left behind. I think they might have thought they'd never be able to afford visits once they left.

One of the things I wonder about is as families began to move further apart, both in the UK and beyond, were they able to keep in contact and if so how long did it continue for. I was surprised to discover that my nan's nan travelled to the US with her third husband I assume to visit his children who had emigrated. Not sure how much that would have cost even in steerage and they appear to have been working class.

I think I've come across a relative of yours who is a member. I think Beatrice Wakeling was the daughter of Sarah Ann Fletcher, who was the daughter of Alexander Fletcher and his third wife Sarah Eliza Wheeler, making her a half sister to William Henry Fletcher. So you would be 3rd cousins I think...

Last edited:
Thank you for finding this relative. You're right. It was Alexander Henry's daughter. I have an 1891 census that states Sarah Eliza Wheeler was his wife and Beatrice was 3 yr old at the time of the census. Sarah Anne, his daughter is 10 yr old in the census. Is it possible that Beatrice Wakeling is the member? I'll look at the members role now. I very much appreciate your finding this for me.

I'm sorry I'm so late in replying to you. Yes, Alexander John Fletcher, b 1886 in Yeovil was my beloved grandfather and his mother was Harriet Potter and father was William Henry Fletcher. William Henry preferred to be called "Hy" and I've found documents (when he enrolled Alexander and his sister Lillian in school) where he signed his name as "Hy". Thank you for doing this research for me.

Thank you for finding this relative. You're right. It was Alexander Henry's daughter. I have an 1891 census that states Sarah Eliza Wheeler was his wife and Beatrice was 3 yr old at the time of the census. Sarah Anne, his daughter is 10 yr old in the census. Is it possible that Beatrice Wakeling is the member? I'll look at the members role now. I very much appreciate your finding this for me.

The member (your potential relative) appears to be the grand daughter of Beatrice Wakeling b1907 who was the daughter of Sarah Ann Fletcher and Albert Wakeling.

The Beatrice Fletcher b1887 on the 1891 census would have been Beatrice Wakeling's aunt (Sarah Ann's sister). Beatrice Fletcher never married and appears to have lived her whole life with another sister, Rose, who also never married.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. There have been times when I've confused the same family first names to the wrong member and did so again this time. I appreciate your expertise in this field.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back