• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Finding addresses on the 1939 census

tomkil

proper brummie kid
When I search for Uplands Road in Handsworth it seems to throw up only the odd numbered addresses. I'm looking for an even number address.

What to do?

Mmm... I'm using Ancestry. But clearly the relevant pages are there. I'll have another go.

When I search for Uplands Road in Handsworth it seems to throw up only the odd numbered addresses. I'm looking for an even number address.

What to do?
I only got odd numbers on Ancestry. Going to check now again.

Searching for "Uplands" in keyword and Birmingham in Lived In seems to list all addresses.

Anyway at 96 are Gladys Mary & Howard Norman Lewis and Jane Davies.

1638989165201.png
When I entered 96 uplands as "exact" I got the house numbered 96 and also the schedule number 96

Last edited:
Trying to find 24 Greenridge Road Handsworth Birmingham on 1939 Register taken on September 29th 1939. Most of the houses were new builds around the outbreak of WW2 and about 45% of other numbers were missing. No 24 is missing whereas Nos 22, 23, 25 and 26 were listed but UNOCCUPIED on 29th September. Some properties were detached but No 24 was a semi detached.

My wife's parents married 'the day WW2 broke out' and did not travel to North Devon for their honeymoon. Family story is that they had to 'put up blackout on the 3rd Sept' so we assumed that this might have been in their new home at No 24

A little strange. I wonder if some were finished and not occupied whereas the others were not quite finished.

Jean Wilyman is listed there on the 1945 ER and is listed at 78 Jordan Road, Sutton Coldfield on 1939 register.

The reg was taken on Sept 29th
Have you looked by name? As 24 is not listed it makes me think as MWS suggests that it was not finished.

Perhaps if you post the names we can help with a search.

A little strange. I wonder if some were finished and not occupied whereas the others were not quite finished.

Jean Wilyman is listed there on the 1945 ER and is listed at 78 Jordan Road, Sutton Coldfield on 1939 register.
That 1945 entry is a mistranscription. 24 Greenridge is
1649517650418.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Having found Greenridge on Ancestry I think their names might still be redacted. Schedule 112 is missing so I assume it must be house 24.
1649518563760.png

I assume FMP lists empty houses as unoccupied but does not list houses where all names are blanked out.

Thank you Janice and MWS . Your extra information is very helpful. Yes we agree it seems that No 24 might not have been quite finished, as it was a 'new build property' on 29th September 1939. Which means that my wife's Mum and Dad who married 'the day war broke out' on 3rd September 1939 did NOT spend their 'first day of marriage putting up blackout in their NEW HOME' ( as the 'family stories' have always suggested). Also No 24 was not listed on the Electoral Roll at the time.

Yes, you are right, the names you found on the 1945 entry are correct - Wilf & Margery Lowe. Interesting that Schedule 112 is still dedacted on Ancestry. We noticed that my wife's elder brother ( now passed away) and my wife's name (born in 1944) are not on the 1945 entry perhaps because of the 100 years rule?. Could this be another reason for the current dedaction? If you have time, my wife would be interested is also interested in knowing 'names' of who was living at Nos 22 and 26 in 1945? Once again thank you for your help ( No 24 was a semi detached property)

( Yes we did a 'names' and 'occupations' - Wilf an Analytical Chemist at Cannings - searches on the 1939 Register on FMP, unfortunately we could not find any evidence as to where they were on 29th September 1939)

Thank you

1945 is electoral roll so only contains those over 21 eligible to vote.
Schedule 112 will be redacted on all versions of 1939 it is just that I can see originals on Ancestry a I subscribe. I can't see it on FMP as I don't subscribe.
Will look other addresses up when I put laptop on.

Last edited:
Just to clarify - erolls are in the public domain but only contain a name and address so they are not subject to 100 year rule (that is designed to protect confidential information). Names are not redacted - if you were over 21 and eligible to vote (or over 18 now) then your name should be there.
Here are nearby addresses from the 1945 eroll
1649586561427.png

As for redacted names on 1939 - there are some errors but you might find the following useful.

If a record is closed, you won't be able to find it when searching. This means that if the records of every member of a household are closed, the entire house won't be searchable in the Register.
This is what I think applies to number 24 on the reg. (schedule 112). I believe they are there at number 24 but still redacted - the 1939 eroll info would have been taken much earlier and you may well find them at the address they occupied prior to their marriage.

The 1939 Register was continually updated while National Registration was in force, and continued to be used by the National Health Service after the war. The records were regularly updated until 1991. This means people dying after that date may still be redacted.

If a family member who is deceased is wrongly redacted from the 1939 Register, you can ask Findmypast to change it, although this will require submitting proof of death. Alternatively, you can request their record by submitting a Freedom of Information request to The National Archives. This will cost £24.35.

Good morning Janice.
On behalf of my wife, we would like to thank you for all your valuable help In finding location of her parents who were married 'the day war broke out' in Handsworth on 3rd September 1939. My wife can remember the Basons next door at No 26 and the Lees next door at No 22 in her early childhood in the mid 1940's. Also she recognizes Johnstones at No 28 and Olive Stevens at No 20, so has brought back memories of her happy childhood in Handsworth Wood in later 1940's after the war

(Apologies for my mistakes with regards to names of children under 21 not appearing on electoral rolls for 1945 and misapplying the 100 years rule to the electoral rolls )

Glad to be of help. No worries - that 100 year rule is very confusing. It might be interesting if you were able to get FMP to un-redact (if there is such a word) those 2 names for schedule 112 and see if it is your in-laws.

Back