• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fell Thomas & Elsie, in Tynemouth

dznee

knowlegable brummie
They seem to be on "find my past" but not ancestry which I have access to.

Elsie Fell, born 1899, are in Tynemouth
Thomas H Fell, born 1891 " "
Annie Fell, 1866, Tynemouth, northumberland mother
? Arthur Fell, 1868 father, ? where

Elsie is my grandmother and came to birmingham when she was older. so I am hoping that they are together here.

Re: please could you look up this family

The only Elsie Fell from that area I could find appears to have been born 1899 in South Shields. In 1911 she's living in Tynemouth with father - Charles William, mother - Ann Jane, sister - Margaret Pyle b1900 and brother - Thomas Digman b1903.

Thanks for trying to find them. I think she was born in Rotherham and her real name is Fells. But the look up without buying credits shows them as Fell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, Rotherham is long way from Tynemouth.

Coincidently there is an Elsie Fell born 1899 in Smethwick and she has a brother Thomas b1901, parents are Charles and Alice though.

A bit of a dilemma here.

There are only 2 births of Elsie Fells
March 1899 Rotherham she died in same quarter
March 1901 Rotherham

The second one is living in 1911 in Masboro Yorks with her parents
Frank age 43 and Harriet age 38
Harry 12
Elsie 10
Grace 8 all children shown born Masboro all registered Rotherham
they show that one of their children died , I am presuming it is the Elsie born 1899.

now the dilemma

In 1911 in Rotherham 73 Lord Street is

Arthur J Fells age 43 Boiler maker born Yorks
Frances age 45 born Buxton Derby
Thomas age 20 b Leeds
Elsie 12 born rotherhithe London
Arthur age 4 born Rotherhithe

in 1901 Rotherhithe London

Arthur J GOSNEY age 34 b Wakefield Yorks Boiler maker
Frances age 36 b Buxton
John age 10 born Hunsley Leeds
Eliza age 3 born Rotherhithe

1891 Hunslet Leeds

Arthur Gosney age 24 b. Wrenthorpe Boiler maker
Frances age 26 b Buxton
Tom age 6 months b Hunslet

Arthur Gosney married Frances Ball in 1889
all of the children were registered Gosney Elsie Registered Elsie Ann

I am pretty sure that the christian names were changed for a reason in 1901 and then the surname in 1911 but what?
Then the problem that I can;t find either birth for Arthur Gosney or Arthur Fells for the year of birth or place.

Who did Elsie marry when she came to birmingham and do you know when she died, I think that Frances Fells nee Ball alias Gosney died in birmingham 1949.

Just adding to this, found 2 baptisms on the same day(not unusual)
Arthur Jackson Gosney 19th October 1869 Alverthorpe yorks
Walter Jackson Gosney the same day parents Thomas and Ann

1881 Ecclesfield yorks
Thomas Gosney age 49 b Wakefirld
Ann age 46 b Lincoln
Thomas 16 b Ecclesfield
Arthur 14 born Wrenthorpe
Walter 11 b Wrenthorpe
Ann 8 B Ecclesfield
Frederick 3

Last edited:
OH Thank you for trying to find them. I have been trying for years on and off. I thought they made a mistake in 1911 by saying Elsie had been born in London cause rotherham is next on the list to Rotherhithe and of their address of course.
Elsie Ann married on 30.6.1917, aged 19 at birmingham register office. She married Bertie William Bradbury aged 35. Her father Arthur Fells a boiler maker and a witness Frances Fells.
There was some rumour that Elsie's grandmother came from Germany ?? and Elsie's mother or GM been abused and having to run away from husband ??
Elsie died in her 90's living in sparkhill
I hope these clues may help and some advice on where I could go from here

On Ancestry I can find a marriage of a Thomas William Fell and an Annie Appleby married in 1885 in Tynemouth. They are also on the 1911 and 1891 censuses in North Shields but don't seem to be with any children. I can't find them in 1901 (except that there is an Annie with a Fred in North Shields) but both Fred and Thomas are listed as bricklayers. In 1901 she is listed as boarder - but again no children. I will have another look later.

Janice

I searched for Frances Ball found birth reg. 1865 Derby but no census for her then found Fanny Bal born Buxton on census and as there was no birth reg for a Fanny Ball sure she is the one.

Now this is the best part for me, the Family were in Cheadle Staffs the place where I was born and where my ancestors all came from and some of my family still live.
My family were all coal miners.

The Ball family were in Paradise street which is now gone but was at the end of the town near to the Rectory.

1871 census

John Ball age 36 born Cheadle , coal miner
Bridget age 40 born Ireland
Catherine 13 born Chesterfield
Fanny age 6 born Buxton

John Ball married Bridget Mullin in 1856 in St Giles Cheadle, both of the churches RC and Ch of England are called St Giles
sadly Bridget died in Cheadle 1874 age 43.

In 1861 they are in Mill Lane Cheadle
with older daughter Catherine.
I wonder why the children were born in different places when their home was in Cheadle.
Cheadle had its own pit so I can't see that John & family would travel to work elsewhere.

Last edited:
Well that is amazing, talk about sherlock holmes.
Having looked more closley, I think they are probably the family, just a pity we can't find elsie's birth, though they may have lied about her mothers maiden name.
Thank you so much

Elsie Ann Gosney birth registered St Olave June quarter 1898 (St. Olave registration place for Rotherhithe.

Elsie Ann Gosney birth registered St Olave June quarter 1898 (St. Olave registration place for Rotherhithe.

An update, I have found loads of info about the family now, thanks to Alberta.
Also when I told my mother, she remembered years ago someone mentioned that Elsie, her mother in law, was once named GOSNEY.
I can't find why they changed their name though. Mom thought Frances was running away from her husband, but she was with him.

Back