• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Favourite Family History Photograph

MWS

from Bham
I haven't got many but this is my favourite. It's from 1928 and is the wedding of an aunt from my grandad's first marriage. She was born in 1908 and was 28 years older than my dad.

scan0014.jpg

The bride is obviously my aunt, the first man sitting down on her left is my grandad, the woman at her shoulder is another aunt, two of the three men around my aunts are my uncles and the other is my other aunt's husband.

One of the two women sitting down, I think the one on the right, is my grandad's first wife and I suspect that the two children being held by my grandad and his wife are cousins (they are the right age to be my other aunt's children) they being some 40 years older than me.

The other people on the left must be the groom's family which leave two or three on the right who I'm not sure about.

That's a good idea for a new thread, MWS.

Here's one of mine (out of a number - don't tempt me!)

A Brummie group in their casual holiday clothes. Isle of Man, about 1900. My gt. grandmother, Elizabeth (Tovey) Snook with her husband George at her side, having a break from work in Deritend and their home in either St. Mary's Road, Stechford or Abbotsford Road, Sparkbrook.

Chris

Attachments

• UnknownManGeorgeSnookElizab.jpg
    UnknownManGeorgeSnookElizab.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 103
Here's one of my favourites from May 2nd 1953,a famous FA Cup Final day,when Blackpool beat Bolton 4-3..It was also my brother's Wedding Day,his wife came from Bolton !
1953.jpg

A favourite of mine is a photo of the wedding of my Uncle Bill and Aunt Freda at Erdington Parish Church in 1945 as the war was ending. Uncle Bill was a paratrooper and Aunt Freda came from London and as a little 'brummie' I was fascinated by her accent. For some reason my Nan on the left did not fully approve of the marriage but it was a very long and happy one. I'm in the photo as is my sister, and today we often wonder why our mum and dad were not in it, they were definitely at the wedding. The photo also reminds me that I was taken with Aunt Freda one Saturday before the wedding on a tedious trip round the city dress shops to buy the wedding dress, not easy in those days of clothes rationing.

Last edited:
I particularly likes this one of 4 generations of our family, myself, father , grandfather and great grandfather taken in 1930, people did not live so long then so 4 generations not so common. Eric4 generations me Dad Grandad Gt Grandad.JPG

Eric what a fantastic photo as you say probably quite rare for the time.

I think most of you have seen mine the first photo my late cousin shared with me. My great grandparents who had a bakery in Burbury Street with their children as adults my grandfather is first on the left.
The photo is approx 1900.
Various.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BT27_0838000021P0016F.jpegGus_and_Will_3829.jpgA bit of history from my family. In the early 1900s My grandfather and his four brothers left Smethwick for the USA.They made several trips back and forth to the USA. They where in the Printing trade and settled in Wallingford, Connecticut USA They started the Crump Printing Co MY grandfather didn't like the USA and left the USA and came back to Brum.had my Dad who had me! Then in the 1950s Uncle Gus (THE YANK?) came back over to visit his brother my Grandfather (see photo, check out the VERY different styles of suits!) Uncle Gus (The Yank) offered to sponsor me in the USA and would look after me when I got over there, (over there, over there the Yanks are coming!.) I took up his offer and left for the USA in March 1957 Lived with my Uncle and aunt for a while. Even worked at the Crump Printing Co for a while. Then off to see the USA John Crump Old Brit. Parker, Co USA

Mom and Dads wedding 001.jpgView attachment 90303My Mon and Dads wedding. My sister Joan. after checking date of wedding and MY birth certificate found that Mom WAS pregnant with me at the time, Hardly cricket at that time Can't see any shotgun! John Crump Old Brit, Parker. Colorado USA

I have very few old family photographs but here's one of my mother & father before they married. I came along six years later.

Alma_Tom_Sutton_1931anot.jpg
Maurice

Aunt Olive.jpg

This is my Grandmothers sister, when she was a land army girl. I have a few family photos, but this is one of my favourites

what lovely family photos..eric ive seen yours before but cant recall yours wend...all of them are so precious..this has to be my favourite..our mom and dad outside 51 villa st 1947...they were aged just 18..childhood sweethearts since the age of 14 and married when they were 21...this will be my first christmas without dad and my 5th without our mom so this is for them...

Last edited:
What a handsome couple Lyn. This is my favourite: my great grandfather with his sons.

Attachments

• Richard Poolton & sons 001.jpg
    Richard Poolton & sons 001.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 49
Some great images!

Could we do our best to give an approximate date when posting, please? Sometimes it's obvious even if not stated: eg Morturn's Land Army gt.gt.aunt. But sometimes it isn't and it WOULD be interesting!

Chris

Last edited:
Winnie & Alex 1935.jpg Here's my favourite and one that I treasure. It's one of my Mom and Dad on a day out in Brighton in 1935 - two years before they got married.

Judy

wonderful judy and charlie...we really are lucky to have these photos as i know that so many folk are not so lucky..chris ive edited mine to put the date of the piccie

lyn

I don't actually know the date of my photograph. If someone could help (by looking at the clothes etc) that would be wonderful.
Gt Grandfather Poolton died in 1914 aged 53.

smashing photo carol another treasure..

charlie at least you know your photo was taken before 1914..i am hopeless at dating them...

lyn

rose emery and jack girling 1928....jpgMy aunt rose,s wedding to jack girling with my grand parents john Thomas emery and mary jane emery and my aunt grace 1928

Here's one of my Auntie Cis (Rose) and her elder brother Tommy taken in 1909 - Judy

View attachment 90458
Also a great photo Jayell I have a similar one of my grandmothers nephew and niece Nellie and Harry Norris Taken about 1917. I have to Thank my late cousins husband for most of the old photo.s I have. all the best Michael.

Back