• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Famous people with a Birmingham Connection (how many do you know)?

HI
Yes congratulations julie well deserved wathching her last night and i was smiling for her a great character of a lady
even when she was young always bubbly person ued to speak to her quite alot in her younger days
me and my mate bill wyman ln her twentys she was always with another friend also named julie
and we always used the same resturuant on dudley rd more or less oppersite the old grove picture house
Especialy sundays after noon when she was always going out with her other friend julie when she was not working
she was from smethwick of old ; and brought up there as well and her accccent as not fawlted either she as not changed one bit
great girl great lady well deserved; congratulations again julie and may you win more as she said last night she aint no where ready for finishing
a good old hard working girl Astonian;;

I am surprised that no one has BILL BLOYE THE Sculptor, on the list. His sculpture is ever lasting and around Brum for everyone to see and enjoy. I was proud to have worked for him and left my mark on some of the fine works that he did. John Crump OldBrit. Parker, CoUSA

I've tried the search, to no avail so apologies if I'm duplicating.

Rustie Lee
Handsworth

Cat Deeley
OK, Sutton Coldfield but she had a lot to do with Great Barr.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has just been announced that Julie Walters is featured in the forthcoming BBC series "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE". As a true Brummie girl, it should be an interesting programme for followers of BHF. Eddie

Martin Shaw, who has Birmingham antecedents from Ladywood and Aston, will also be covered

Did not realise Martin Shaw had Birmingham connections. Good news. A keen pilot, Martin keeps his yellow and black Stearman biplane at Old Buckenham airfield, close by us. Beautiful plane. I sometimes see it in the hanger when I am at the airfield. Look forward to his BBC feature in the series. Eddie

I bet that will be a good program to watch Who Do You Think You Are. Thur 7th Aug 9.00.

I am surprised that no one has BILL BLOYE THE Sculptor, on the list. His sculpture is ever lasting and around Brum for everyone to see and enjoy. I was proud to have worked for him and left my mark on some of the fine works that he did. John Crump OldBrit. Parker, CoUSA

Hi John. Which pieces did you work on? And do you have any snippets of what Bill Bloye was like to work with. Love the Boar's Head and the Birchfield Harrier pieces in Perry Barr. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think it's time for another quiz on Birmingham Famous Names, some familiar and some not so familiar. How many can you name?

Attachments

• blank.jpg
    blank.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 53
Changed my mind about number 8.

# 8 - Bev Bevan.
# 6 - Thora Hird although no idea what her connection is.

V.

Think that's right ASparks. Now changed my mind 3 times on that one! Viv.

We have six right up to now, I won't say which until they have all been answered correctly.

While we are discussing famous Birmingham names, can we please give a wonderful round of applause to that lovely, resilient young lady, now a resident of Birmingham, Malala Yousafzia, for the award of the Nobel Peace Prize. If Birmingham ever deserved an association with a great name, it's surely Malala, and I believe that she will not only be around for a long time, but she has so much more to offer this world during these sad times. A very courageous teenager. Eddie

Read this news in the Dail Mail early this am. Malala deserves this important recognition. Congratulations to Malala.

If Birmingham ever deserved an association with a great name, it's surely Malala, and I believe that she will not only be around for a long time, but she has so much more to offer this world during these sad times. A very courageous teenager. Eddie[/QUOTE]

Fully agree Eddie. We take our right to education for granted in this country. Her bravery and determination in pursuing that right for all is astounding. Viv.

We still have three answers to come in the quiz, it's a bit early to say which ones but we still looking for an author, a politician and a star of the screen.

# 3 J R R Tolkein
# 6 Joan Heath
# 5 John Bright

V.

Back