• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Exporting Family Tree.

barrie

master brummie
Can anyone tell me please, how do I export my family tree from A******y?

Thank you.
Barrie.

Hi Barrie and Terry,
I transferred my tree history from A********y too, and it is on the esktop as a GEDCOM file, but my problem now is that our computer won't open it. Any ideas?
Sue

You can open a GEDCOM file with Notepad or Wordpad or any text editor. Here's the first few lines of one of my databases:-

0 HEAD
1 SOUR BROSKEEP
2 VERS 6.4.1 WINDOWS
1 DEST BROSKEEP (BROTHERS KEEPER)
1 DATE 31 JAN 2011
1 CHAR ANSEL
1 FILE C:\Documents and Settings\Maurice.SOSPIRI\My Documents\Longmore.GED
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME Alexander /LONGMORE/
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE Cir CA 1780
1 DEAT
2 DATE Bef ORE JULY 1837?
2 NOTE Nothing on FreeBMD. Last child conceived in 1822.
1 FAMS @F1@
0 @I2@ INDI
1 NAME Hannah /PAGETT/
1 SEX F
1 BIRT
2 DATE Abt 1790
1 BURI
2 DATE 14 NOV 1824
2 PLAC St Philip, Birmingham
1 FAMS @F1@

The file is normally imported into a genealogy database such as Legacy, Personal Ancestral File, Brother's Keeper, or whatever.

Maurice :cool:

Thank you Maurice, but I don't want to open it, I want to export it from A******y to my laptop.

Barrie.

Barrie,

Here's what someone posted on RootsWeb:-

From the Ancestry tree

Go to the Overview tab

Click on Manage my tree

Click on Download (GEDCOM)

A GEDCOM file will be created which you can then save

Maurice :cool:

Hi All,
I have exported my tree as GEDTREE file, but whatever I do can't open it, just keeps sayiong unable to open this file.
I tried sending it to myself but won't open from inbox or documents either.
Do I need to download a specific programme and if so any recommendations as to the best one please?- bear in mind I am a real technophobe!!!!!
Sue

Hi Maggie, just found the my heritage site and they also have a easy to follow download, so have managed to sort them out at last!
Thanks for your help!
Sue x

Back