• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Evacuee from Stirchley - help

star43

master brummie
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone could help or advise me in trying to find more information about my dad’s evacuation. My dad was listed in the 1939 census on the 29th Sept, as 12years old living in Stirchley with his family. I have a school leavers certificate for July 1941 from Stirchley street senior boys council school. In between these 2 dates he was evacuated. I was led to believe that he was evacuated to somewhere around Bourton on the water in the Cotswolds. Is there any way of finding out where he went and when? Thanks

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone could help or advise me in trying to find more information about my dad’s evacuation. My dad was listed in the 1939 census on the 29th Sept, as 12years old living in Stirchley with his family. I have a school leavers certificate for July 1941 from Stirchley street senior boys council school. In between these 2 dates he was evacuated. I was led to believe that he was evacuated to somewhere around Bourton on the water in the Cotswolds. Is there any way of finding out where he went and when? Thanks
I think Gloucestershire Archives might be a good place to look. There will be an online catalogue. Also Bourton parish council info might give you a useful link.

There is some info here

There is some info here
Thank you for your help. However it turns out I was given the wrong information ( a lesson never to take all info family give you as always accurate!!) It turns out my dad was one of 20 boys evacuated from Stirchley street senior boys school to Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire. Just wondered if anyone had relatives who were also one of these boys and how I could find out which school he may have attended while he was there. Thanks

hi star barton under needwood is a village between burton upon trent and lichfield..in 2011 it only had a population of just ove 4000 so back in the 30s and 40s i would image the population to be much less...there cant have been that many schools back then to go to..i will do a bit of research later on and get back to you if i find anything of use...i myself am on a quest to find out where my auntie was evacuated to..i have the area but its proving difficult as her name is blanked out on the 39 register although there is a way of unblocking it at a price....luckily i found out where the rest of my family were they are all in wales and i have visited them all because all the houses where they were billeted are still standing so i have been so lucky..

lyn

That’s great thank you. I have found that he was living with a family of the local baker, John Showell. I would love to find out which school he went to and what life was like in Barton under Needwood at that time. It is frustrating when names are blanked out on the 1939 census - do you know why that is? It seems to be younger women in my family that are blacked out.

In Kelly's directory of 1940 no mention is made of a school in Barton Under Needwood itself so I imagine that pupils must have attended somewhere nearby.

Having read the next post before closing Kelly's down
1685969099416.png

Last edited:
That’s great thank you. I have found that he was living with a family of the local baker, John Showell. I would love to find out which school he went to and what life was like in Barton under Needwood at that time. It is frustrating when names are blanked out on the 1939 census - do you know why that is? It seems to be younger women in my family that are blacked out.
People who are/were under 100 when the register was published (or in some cases who had died) are redacted owing to the privacy law. The names are supposed to be updated but it is a slow process and not accurate.

In April 1939.

A line drawn from Tutbury via Stoke to Market Drayton separated Northern area (which would receive children from Manchester) from the southern into which children from Birmingham would be received. (The children would be evacuated with their teachers.)

I took it that this was Main Street Barton as that was where John is listed as a baker. Still Main Street Lyn. If you go to the map Main Street is a contuinuation of the main road passing St James Church. Premises look pretty old.

Last edited:
In 1911 John Showell was an errand boy. His father was listed as a grocer and baker but again, the address is just Main Street.

In 1911 John Showell was an errand boy. His father was listed as a grocer and baker but again, the address is just Main Street.
thanks jan i realised that and deleted my post..so is this john showell on the 39..shame there is no numbering and there cant have been many schools in the area at that time

John E Showell
GenderMale
Marital StatusMarried
Birth Date5 Sep 1897
Residence Date1939
AddressMain St
Residence PlaceTutbury, Staffordshire, England
OccupationBaker (Master)
Line Number6
Schedule Number45
Sub Schedule Number1
Enumeration DistrictOtvb
BoroughTutbury
Registration district364-2
Inferred SpouseMargt L Showell
Inferred ChildrenEdward Showell
Save

Just checked entries in 1940 Kelly's for Tutbury and there is no mention of John Showell so suspect the Tutbury reference might be to do with parish boundaries or similar.

If we assume John took over his Father's shopthen on 1911 census listings the premises are close to Wales Lane
1685973072736.png

The next road names is Crowberry Lane so it would seem to indicate the section of Main Street where the shop was.
Possibly in this section but I am only giessing it was the same place
1685973203682.png

hi star so that you do not miss any info when you leave a thread and go back to it always start reading from the last post you made...so many members dont do this so they can miss out so you need to read from post no 6...just a bit of good advise

lyn

That sounds interesting. Where can I find this article?

But am attaching the article in 3 sections

Attachments

• Party 1.JPG
    Party 1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Party 2.JPG
    Party 2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Party 3.JPG
    Party 3.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 14

But am attaching the article in 3 sections
Thank you for those articles. It was so good to think the evacuees were welcomed in such a way at a difficult time for them.

Thank you for those articles. It was so good to think the evacuees were welcomed in such a way at a difficult time for them.

From the newspaper it looks as if parties were given all over Staffordshire - (possibly elsewhere but the newspaper concerned is a local paper).

There is a reference in the Burton Observer of the 2nd January 1941 that refers to a Birmingham Evacuees' Party at the Village Hall in Repton. The evacuees were from Ingleton Road school, Ward End.

Of interest here is that it actually mentions a Birmingham Road that could be helpful to anyone researching evacuees from Ingleton Road in the future.

Last edited:
The attached photos might show where our Stirchley evacuee was staying in Barton Under Needwood. John Edward Showell, the baker, died in Oct 1970 and the probate record gives his address as 48 Main Street. A couple of years later, the property was offered for sale and the sales particulars describe it as a former bakery. Google street-view shows that the property still exists and it may also be shown as the ivy clad building on the extreme right of the older photo of Main Street.

Attachments

• 48 Main Street Barton under Needwood.jpg
    48 Main Street Barton under Needwood.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 48 Main Street Barton under Needwood now and then.jpg
    48 Main Street Barton under Needwood now and then.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 25
once again brilliant research brasscaster...i would be down there like a shot :)

lyn

All this is amazing. I can’t thank you all enough for your fantastic research and help. I agree I would love to get over there to check it out but I need to get my head around all this info first!!

Hi My Mom was evacuated from Stirchley along with 2 of her siblings to Web Heath Redditch to a pub I believe it was The Rose and Crown.

Back