• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Evacuation Of Children World War 2

these last two are just of the views. we took about 150 pics in all but i dont think i should put them all on. hope you all liked them folks. its a trip i for one will never forget.

Wales I enjoyed reading your story, obviously your father was one of the lucky ones.

Well Chris - What an interesting thread this is turning out to be. Stories of so many children both happy and sad ones. Childood evacuation was bound to have profound effect on children later in life, uprooted from their homes, carrying their gasmasks, often sent off to live with unfriendly strangers.

World War II is a sad one and it left a lot of terrible memories. In fact we are the only generation which can relate the horrors of that war. We are the real witnesses. Of course, there are, alas many other wars in this world. It will take many other centuries until human beings will get settled in peace. Meanwhile we have to live with all the pain and horror of the images and feelings that everyone, and in each generation has endured.

However, now that I have put them in writing, and taken all these memories off my chest I do not keep any grudge against anyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
My nan was evacuted out to the Countryside during WWII, she was lucky tho, she had some really great memories of her time working on a Farm, she missed her Family loads. My Great Grandmother was killed in an Air Raid tho, she was my Nan's second Mother and my Nan to this day misses her.... Tragic end really for a woman who devoted her life to her Family, she was left with 8 Children after her Husband my Great Grandfather was killed in France in WWI, she used to tell us as kids all about it, and Rationing and what life was like, she gets too upset now talking about it

What a great surprise for your dad meeting up with his pal after all that time, and they are lovely photos, your dad looks so happy.

A lovely story Lyn, glad your week-end went so well. I can imagine how your dad must have felt being back there after so many years, and to meet an old pal, by chance, how wonderful.

thanks all. glad you enjoyed the story and pics. dads friend phoned him up last night and it looks like they will now keep in touch. lyn

Hi Fellow War Children.

I was evacuated to Hagley Worc. a cottage in the picture it is the one with the bricked up doorway, next to the Public House the Prince of Wales there used to be a gateway with a large room above it.

The family who lived there were very kind & nice people, they were Stan & Maud they had a daughter Betty Howard she married an airman Viv.

I called them aunt & uncle he used to work up at Hagley Hall as gardner we had plenty of fresh veg, aunt's special was Baked Egg Custard with Nutmeg yummy.

The Howards and the neighbours used to ever night go down the garden and watch the German planes go over and then go casual to bed.

I remember one day returning back to Hagley after visiting my Dad and Nan in Sandy Lane Aston, and a Midland Red 132 on it's way to Kiddeminster, collided with a largre Army lorry the driver in his brown overalls was covered in blood.

It happen in place that is no longer there at the bottom of Mucklows Hill there was dip called the Rumbo which climb up into Halesowen Town.

After the war we kept in contact with the Howard,s, they first moved to housekeep the Gables in Tettenhall, then to a large house in Packingham Wolverhampton, sadly we lost contact after that.

I remember a story that went round the Village in Hagley during this wartime, the police had arrested a male & female German spies can't confirm it but this wartime it's possible.

I remember very happy times in Hagley, but I also remember the devastation and destruction I saw on visit's home The Bull Ring, the old Big Top site at the top of the Bull Ring, the bombing down the Lichfield Rd.

As young as I was I'll never forget them.

ray. thank you for sharing your story with us. i am glad that your experience as an evacuee was a good one just like dads was. wales.

Wales, what a lovely weekend for your dad, and what memories it must have brought back for him. How kind of the lady of Springfields to invite you in and let you take photos, and the icing on the cake to meet Gwin.

Tomorrow Ray is going with his cousin to Tenbury Wells where Geoff was evacuated, he has made contact with the owner of the farm where he stayed, I don't know whether he is the son of wartime farmer, but it should be an interesting day out for them.

thanks sylvia. i do hope they have a good a time as we did the weekend. please let us know how it goes. wales.

That was a great read Lyn. What a lovely few days your dad had and to meet up with is old pal, what's the odds on that happening, great!
If you want to show more photos, put them on this site.www.flickr.com

thanks frothy. we had a great time and the best thing is they will be keeping in touch. thanks for the link will have a look. lyn

Wales, well Ray, Geoff and Tom had a nice day out in Tenbury Wells, and went to where he stayed although they were not invited into the house, they looked round the grounds and Geoff laid some flowers on the grave of a little dog who died while he was evacuated there. Funny what memories are kept from our childhood isn't it. They were not as lucky as your dad was and didn't find anyone who he remembered, well it was a long time ago.

Oh" my Silvia I remember Tenbury Wells - It was the first place I was evacuated to, stayed at a place called Puddleford Farm for about six weeks run by Old Mother Morris. .

When mom came to visit there I was scrubbing the dairy floor in my underwear, so prompto mom brought me home. . . Was I ever happy.....

Just read your story Wales. It must have been wonderful for your Dad.
Frothy put me onto this thread yesterday when we met up for a pint in The Lad. I understand you may have joined us but you couldn't at the last minute. Lightweight!! (Only kidding!)

sylvia. i am so glad they had a nice time and what a lovely touch to lay flowers on the little dogs grave. memories never leave us do they. now david i hope you and frothy had a good meetin up at the lad. i am hoping to pop down next sunday to see him. dont you be worrying about me missing out on a drink i shall make up for it on the 60s night. lol see you there if not before. lyn

hello, i was evacuated to Tibberton in 1939 and I lived in wilton street does anyone remember me? Regards Alan thomas​

Alan why don't you tell your experiences of being an evacuee, It seems most people here had a happier tiome of it than I did. . .

Mydad was evacuated to Harvington in Evesham and was taken in by a wonderful old lady called Mrs Paris and he loved her dearly , Whats a culture shock for him to go from Birmingham terraced houses into the real countryside .
My mom had a terrible time ,, As I already said her house got a direct hit and her dad and brother was killed . Her mum couldnt cope so she kept the newborn baby and sent all the rest of the children to an orphanage .
This place was on the Isle of Man in Ramsey . It was run by a religous order of the Wesylian church . Im not sure if the place was called Dalmeny house .( I wonder if it still exhists ? )
Well in the first week her little 3 year old sister wet the bed .. only natural you would think after being buried for 9 hours and carted off away from home and your mum ? Well the sisters stood her at one end of the corridoor to stand for a whole morning with the wet sheet over her head whilst the other kids filed past . Mum as her elder 9 year old sister objected .. she was dragged by her hair to the nearest hot water tap and her head was put under .
Another occasion one of the carers or sisters as they were called took a 3 years old boy and put his fingers in the mangle . There were many cruel things done to those children in that place all too painful for my mum to talk about . Mum was never the same after and suffered 3 breakdowns in her life and she is still in a terrible state at the age of 77.
When mum finally was allowed home 5 years later her mum had taken up with another man and she heard her baby sister call him Dad . Well mum naturally said .. he isnt your dad.. well that was an unforgivable sin in her mums eyes and well you can guess what happened .
Poor mum she is so fragile emotionally .
Best wishes jean

Jean I thought my experiences were bad enough - but that is just terrible

It is traumatic enough for a child to be sent away from home - let alone so- called religous folks committing such acts of cruelty against any child is inexcusable - Don't think it would be tolerated these days

jean. words cant describe the sheer cruelty that your mom went through. i have read her account with tears in my eyes. its any wonder that she and other children who suffered at the hands of what was supposed to be carers ever came through it at all. sounds to me like your mom and the other children would have been better off taking their chances at home. please send her my best wishes. wales.

Thanks berly and wales for your lovely words and thoughts for my mum . It has helped me understand her a lot more now writing down this story and indeed I give her loads of hugs :)
It has helped her a lot seeing the memorial to the bomb victims put up last year because at least now she has some concrete evidence to go to see.
Bonfire night is always a bad night for her and indeed the night of the millenium .. all those fireworks . Also she has to sleep with her bedroom door open and a light on in the hall .. I guess thats also to do with being buried for 9 hours .
I think one day I shall write a book about her because her life is so interesting . One of the biggest problems for her was that there was no trauma counciling in those days , you just had to smile and get on with it . She went on to bring us children up with the same discipline and cruelty that she was brought up with and hence we all ran away from home as soon as we could . As a result of some of the things she did to us we are all suffering from our nerves too . Poor mum has buried all this in her mind and doesnt remember what she did to us . But we still love her and make allowances . Yes I dont think the population today even could begin to understand the far reaches of what war does to people .
Best wishes Jean .

You are right Jean, trauma counseling was unheard of in those days - we had to try and keep that stiff upper lip - If you were a girl and caught crying - you were labeled 'a cry baby' - A boy needed to be a 'little soldier' - consequently we hid our hurts. A child’s word meant nothing then, who would believe a child against that of a well spoken adult?

It is important that parents listen to their children's complaints so they can take appropriate action if needed

Wales Just cuaght up with the site by putting in a search Will be back in touch and send in a couple more pics from around that part of the world. Just right now though I am absolutely wrapped in finding pic of my old house in Friston St . Must fly now Grandsons are getting close Cheers Old Brummy

hi joe and welcome to this wonderful site. so glad you joined at last. have you managed to view my story and pics ok. i know you were having some problems. lyn

70th Anniversary of WW2 03.09/1939: We Shall Not Forget The Dead and the Wounded, RIP. Len.

Wales Thanks for the welcome message.... I finally got your postings up and have just got up early so I could read them in peace.. It was alovely story about things still being the same and how you got such a nice welcome.
I can relate to that as I have been back about 4 times and alwys got the same .
I had alook at the pictures and they were great. I was going to attach the pic of the 3 pics joined together of the bridge but I cannot seem to find it .It is in the P.C somewhere but you have it allready so it does not matter. It wouls be nice to see some more pics of that part of the world though. . We were talking at golf yesterday with some blokes of my age and discussing what we were doing when Neville came on the radio that Sunday . One of the blokes said he did nopt find out there was a war on for 7 weeks............ Turned out he ws up the bush droving cattle miles from anywheere and only found out when he called into some town for provisions . I will write aposting of my memories of the day we were evacuated to Abergaveny . Cheers for now Wales Oldbrowny

ha ha old browny funny story that. just to update dad and his friend have spoken on the phone and exchanged addresses and it would not surprise me if i didnt get roped into taking dad back to skenfrith to visit his mate. which of course i dont mind at all. i would drop dad off at his house and leave them to it for a few hours and go exploring. talk soon lyn

Cadeau,

I am so truly sorry for what your and other families had to go through at that time. It just is not right. There has been and still so much unjust in this world. It doesn't matter race, location or religion. It effects us all. Again, I am so sorry about what you and your family had gone through.

Sincerely
Amber

...............I was born in Brum during the war the youngest of 5. So in a way I was lucky, I was allowed to stay with my mum. My 2 older brothers and 2 older sisters were evacuated. My sisters went to Swadlingcote,
Derby, and were treated very well indeed. My oldest brother was not as lucky as he was very badly abused and beaten, left him scared mentally for the rest of his life.

At Swadlingcote my two sisters woke up in the middle of the night to find their dad standing at the bottom of their bed, it really frightened them. Some days later came the news that he had been killed in action that night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back