• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ernest Priddey Deceased 31st May 2020

S.Priddey

proper brummie kid
If anyone can give me any information on Ernest Priddey Born in Birmingham 1949. Lived in a Dr. Barnardo's Children's Home until the age of 13 years old. Looking for family members or anyone who may have known Ernie during his childhood and who can share any memories with me.

Attachments

• Priddey, Ernest. Order of Service 19.6.20 (2).pdf
    717.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Ernies obitury.jpg
    Ernies obitury.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 41
S.Priddey,

Welcome to the Forum. Can I just clarify what you are seeking please. Are you purely looking for friends who knew Ernie in Birmingham, or is this a wider genealogical query?

Maurice :cool:

Hi Maurice
I am looking in both capacities.
All though I had the pleasure of knowing Ernie and his wife Val for many years, we new very little about his pre Val days. He always told us he was brought up in a Barnardo's Home and that a relation turned up when he was 13 and took him to live in Bath with them but there were no more relations as far as he knew. Him and Val were only children and had no children. Leaving their house when Ernie recently died intestate. We hae Heir Hunters on the case and have tracked many cousins in Birmingham but sadly nobody seems to remember him accept the ones who took him in at Bath who are not direct descendants. Ernie still had a bit of his brummie accent even though he was very well spoken and had a wonderful voiceover voice that had been used for documentaries and the like. He loved his AM Dram and was a very good actor who also performed at the Old Vic in Bath. Both he and his wife worked over 40's year for the NHS which is how they met each other as both enjoyed crosswords puzzles and quizzes. But even with all this information we know very little about his childhood days and the story behind him. Anyone who might be a relative or know a relative would be really great and we would like them to get in touch. If he thought he didn't have any family

then he must have spent a lot of time with others at theYoung Ernie.png children's home.Ernie 1.jpgYoung Ernie.pngErnie 1.jpg

Young Ernie and older Ernie.

Thank you, it helps to define what we may be looking for. I remember Heir Hunters being involved following the death of my former next door neighbour in Kings Heath, Birmingham, who also died intestate. I even worked for him during my schoolboy holidays, so knew them quite well, but I don't think that HH found anyone. Some of the stories that they had told me didn't match what I found in subsequent research. But I'm drifting off topic, so will stop at that point :)

Ernest George PRIDDEY born, as you say, in the 1st Qtr 1949 at Birmingham with mother's maiden name of HORRIDGE, but I have failed to find a PRIDDEY/HORRIDGE marriage anywhere at any date. Of the deaths in the Birmingham area between 1948 and 1958, all are men of age about 70 years. No female HORRIDGE deaths in the Birmingham in that same ten years either.

Do you happen to have a copy of Ernest George's Birth Certificate as that would at least give us the forenames of his parents?

Incidentally, neither relevant surnames appear in the online newspapers or on the Birmingham Electoral Rolls.

There is a Marriage on Free BMD Q4 1946 between George Priddey and Elizabeth Norridge B'ham 9C 155.

She is on the 1939 Register born 1904, single, living with parents at 1-108 George Street West, Birmingham. No siblings shown in 1939.

The 1911 Census shows she had a Brother, Alfred born 1906.

Edited to add, in 1939 he is shown Uffculme Mental Institution, Queensbridge Road, as a Labourer. Not sure if there as an inmate or a worker.

Another edit to add that he died in 1957.

So George W. Priddey died 13 March 1956 at Birmingham and Probabte was granted on 7 May.
Elizabeth Priddey died in 4 Qtr 1959 at Birmingham. And here's George's Probate:-
Priddey_1.jpg
So Ernie must have been quite old when he entered Barnardos

EDIT: But it looks as if Doris Priddey (born 22 September 1914) did not die until 1997. I wonder why she could not look after Ernie?

Last edited:
Don't think George died in 1956.

George was older than Elizabeth and a widower. His death was possibly registered Dec qtr 1963.

Ernest George Priddey born 8 Jan 1949, baptised 6 Feb 1949. Parents George & Elizabeth. Residence Ellen St.

George & Elizabeth are there at 101 Ellen St on 1955 electoral roll, George is there alone 1962.

Marriage 23 Nov 1946, Elizabeth's father is listed as Frank E Norridge, George's isn't listed.

He is possibly one of the 2 George Priddeys born Droirwich 1884/85.

Last edited:
I think Ken was referring Alfred Norridge died in 1957, so it doesn't appear to be him who adopted Ernest.

I think Ken was referring Alfred Norridge died in 1957, so it doesn't appear to be him who adopted Ernest.

True in some respects but, being not entirely sure how these Probate links work, I was looking to see if his [Ernest George] Mother had any siblings that might have surviving issue. It seems not.

George Priddey was previously married to Beatrice Elizabeth Partridge. She died in 1945.

They had one daughter Louisa Adelaide Priddey (1912) who sadly died 1913.

And so George was the son of Thomas & Louisa Priddey of Droitwich (father listed on marriage 1911).

Last edited:
So it looks like Ernest's closest relatives would be descendants of his father's siblings which you might already know. No one closer on his mother's side.

Is it strange that he was brought up in Barnado's even though his parents were still alive? And is it just coincidence that he went with relatiives at 13, the age he was when his father died?

Ernest George PRIDDEY born, as you say, in the 1st Qtr 1949 at Birmingham with mother's maiden name of HORRIDGE, but I have failed to find a PRIDDEY/HORRIDGE marriage anywhere at any date. Of the deaths in the Birmingham area between 1948 and 1958, all are men of age about 70 years. No female HORRIDGE deaths in the Birmingham in that same ten years either.

Do you happen to have a copy of Ernest George's Birth Certificate as that would at least give us the forenames of his parents?

Incidentally, neither relevant surnames appear in the online newspapers or on the Birmingham Electoral Rolls.

I remember Ernie saying they had quoted the name Horridge on his certificate when in fact this was wrong as his mother's name was in fact Norridge.

There is a Marriage on Free BMD Q4 1946 between George Priddey and Elizabeth Norridge B'ham 9C 155.

She is on the 1939 Register born 1904, single, living with parents at 1-108 George Street West, Birmingham. No siblings shown in 1939.
This could well be his mother and father as he always said her name was Norridge and not Horridge. Thank you.

Is any of this work likely to result in a Donation to help run the Forum?

i.e. Are we on Commission? ;)
Wow you people are amazing. I am bowled over with how much you have found out. I am truly amazed thank you. A donation to the forum is definitely worthy of all your efforts.
Thank you.

Wow you people are amazing. I am bowled over with how much you have found out. I am truly amazed thank you. A donation to the forum is definitely worthy of all your efforts.
Thank you.
Ps. I'm not going to benefit from any of Ernie's estate but the mystery of his life has really intrigued me since we started looking for his relative's.
Thank you again.

So George W. Priddey died 13 March 1956 at Birmingham and Probabte was granted on 7 May.
Elizabeth Priddey died in 4 Qtr 1959 at Birmingham. And here's George's Probate:-
View attachment 146646

EDIT: But it looks as if Doris Priddey (born 22 September 1914) did not die until 1997. I wonder why she could not look after Ernie?

View attachment 146646

Yes. Ernie told me he was about 9 years old.

Don't think George died in 1956.

George was older than Elizabeth and a widower. His death was possibly registered Dec qtr 1963.

Ernest George Priddey born 8 Jan 1949, baptised 6 Feb 1949. Parents George & Elizabeth. Residence Ellen St.

George & Elizabeth are there at 101 Ellen St on 1955 electoral roll, George is there alone 1962.

Marriage 23 Nov 1946, Elizabeth's father is listed as Frank E Norridge, George's isn't listed.

He is possibly one of the 2 George Priddeys born Droirwich 1884/85.
Wow this is incredible! Thank you.

Thank you.

so pleased we have helped in some small way..we are always happy to do so....i would imagine that a lot of members including myself are fascinated by our ancestor lives...its amazing what we can find out about them...many thanks for any donation made...we cant run the forum without them :)

lyn

View attachment 146646

I wonder why she benefited from the death before Ernie's father had died?

In post #$11, MWS thinks George didn't die in 1956, in which case, this wasn't his probate and he didn't leave that amount of money!

If anyone can give me any information on Ernest Priddey Born in Birmingham 1949. Lived in a Dr. Barnardo's Children's Home until the age of 13 years old. Looking for family members or anyone who may have known Ernie during his childhood and who can share any memories with me.
Hi, my siblings and myself have been contacted by the 'heir hunters' as possible relatives of Ernie. We're trying to work out the connection, we think he may have been a cousin of my mothers, but the family appears to be quite disjointed, with my grandmother being one of 11 children spread out as far as Australia. We think Ernie's father must have been one of her siblings. Sadly, my parents have passed away, and we were born quite late in their lives, so we didn't really know our grandparents or the further family. We are trying to find out more now, and have asked the company who got in touch with us for more information on the family tree. They're trying to track down 60+ relatives! It's really interesting to hear more about Ernie.

Back