• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
brill dek thank you...

froth when i go to save deks pics its coming up saltly high st...

lyn

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
I think you are right Lyn I,ve just noticed the tram lines and the cobbles on the road.Sorry about that never looked properly.Dek

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know when picture was taken , but civic was at no 126, and in 1952 was between Spink & Greenacre, ladies outfitters & Walter Smith, butchers

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I think Frothy's right. I have a pic of it on my computer but it's being "breathed on" and won't get it back untill tomorrow. If I find the photo I'll post it.

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I was wondering the same, I lived at the bottom ofJerrys Lane, near to the junction of Turfpitts Lane (now there an interestingname). The deeds show it was built by the owners of the large house at the junctionas speculative rented accommodation, then eventually sold off.

So any photos of this area would be very welcome.

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Staff member
S

Stitcher

img542.jpgGrange Lane Erdington, outside Harry Greener's cottage in 1895

Templer

Brummie
Terrys Lane these days is in Pype Hayes, Erdington.
It leads off Westmead Crescent, which runs around Paget rd school.

The first picture is Westmead Crescent at the juncion of Paget road, with paget school to the right.

The second picture is Terrys lane just a short way up the road.

Terrys_lane_2.JPG Terrys_lane.JPG

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Moturn: I am familiar with the area that you mention as I lived very close to Witton Lakes Park growing up. You can have a look around your old area on Bill Dargue's
site: https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-t/turfpits/ There are also a couple of photos I have found which are copyrighted by R. Hughes but the links can be posted as they are on a couple of sites: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1283530 and https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1283532

Well Jennyann, A real big thank you for those links, I spent countless time over Witton Lakes as a young boy, from dawn to dusk some days. At primary school I had been know to wonder off out, and down to the lakes; completely oblivious of people and my parents franticly searching for a missing boy.

jennyann

Staff member
Hi Moturn; I am sure that you also walked over to Brookvale Park as well. I expect you will remember the cafe and the boathouse at Witton Lakes Park
and sometimes a fun fair would appear in the Spring at the Bleak Hill Road side. I lived close to the Woolmore Road gate into Witton Lakes and spent hours with my brother fishing in one of the lakes and sledding down the hill in the snowy winters. It really was an ideal area to grow up in with two beautiful parks to play in. I like the fact that Witton Lakes Park is virtually unchanged now. I also remember baseball being played on that area with the players dressed just like the American baseball players. I remember walking over to Turfpits Lane to go to the shops at the Perry Common Road end.My brother lives in Four Oaks and when I visit we go and see the neighbours in our old neighbourhood off Marsh Hill and take the shortcut through Turfpits Lane to get back to Sutton.

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I certainly do remember. Have walked across both those lakesin winter. My dad used to race model yachts at Witton lakes, there were also alot of people with model radio controlled boats too.

jennyann

Staff member
Moturn, I watched the men sailing their model boats in one of the lakes many times in years gone by. It was very fascinating to watch the radio controlled boats
sailing along and turning around, etc. The men always looked like they were having so much fun.