• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Actually. I was contemplating the opposite. A full biography, detailing the parents, occupations, siblings, abodes, children, etc - as much as we can glean from records available.

If there were to be a re-dedication ceremony, which I would hope there might be, then too much information is better than padding-out limited research.

I'd be quite happy to compose a 'bio' for Albert Edward Sharp. Perhaps others might wish to 'tackle' others named.

Just a suggestion.

Hi Ken Good suggestion. This was a far as I'd got yesterday in pulling together all the info that's come out. I was doing it merely as a record because there was so much being uncovered and I felt it would be helpful to have it drawn together for each soldier. Hadn't planned for any other use and it's just rough notes. I'd like to write up Charles Bull. Good idea Ken to see if others want to tackle some of this too. Nice collaborative project. Viv.

NOTE. These are just added to demo what I've done, They haven't been checked yet and don't include more recent info added to this thread by members.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393145721.877238.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393145739.118317.jpg

Vivienne, Alexanders mother was Emily nee dicken, she and James married St Alkmund Derby in 1850,

Alexander born Leamington was the youngest of 9 children he had 4 brothers,4 sisters, his father James a Railway Pointsman died in 1878 and the children were placed in the Railway Childrens orphanage in Derby
In 1881 Emily has Alexander age 6 with her in Pleck Road Walsall she is a Railway Station assistant.
In 1891 she is at Pleck road Walsall with 2 sons
Francis age 28 a Porter and Alexander age 16 a Telegram Messenger.

A year later Alexander enlisted in the Army. ( post 83.)

Last edited:
po 3.JPG
33 Edward road Erdington where Alexander Leadbeater lived

po 4.JPG
25 Fern road Erdington where Charles Bull lived

po 5.JPG
6 Coton lane Erdinton where Albert Edward Sharp lived

po 2.JPGpo 1.jpg

Albert Edward Sharp's grave St Barnabas Church

Astoness

Your situation with the marble plaque is not unique. People demolish buildings with very little attention to the historical value of what they are destroying.
My Regiment, the Light Horse Regiment formerly the Imperial Light Horse, is busy in partnership with one of the local Funeral insurance companies as a sponsor, to erect a marble monument in honour of a Trooper Knight who was killed in 1906 during the Bambato rebellion in Natal.
This might be a way to go getting a sponsor that has a vested interest in preserving history. I actually forgot to mention that this monument will replace the cast iron cross that now marks the grave in Zululand.
You have the true heart of a volunteer, according to Maj.General Doolittle of the US Marine flying corps during WWII, there is nothing in the world stronger.
Buddy

Astoness

Your situation with the marble plaque is not unique. People demolish buildings with very little attention to the historical value of what they are destroying.
My Regiment, the Light Horse Regiment formerly the Imperial Light Horse, is busy in partnership with one of the local Funeral insurance companies as a sponsor, to erect a marble monument in honour of a Trooper Knight who was killed in 1906 during the Bambato rebellion in Natal.
This might be a way to go getting a sponsor that has a vested interest in preserving history. I actually forgot to mention that this monument will replace the cast iron cross that now marks the grave in Zululand.
You have the true heart of a volunteer, according to Maj.General Doolittle of the US Marine flying corps during WWII, there is nothing in the world stronger.
Buddy

hello buddy...totally agree with your sentiments about how buildings are demolished without much thought to the historical value of them..very best of luck to you in getting a marble monument erected for trooper knight i do hope you suceed and maybe you would like to keep us informed about it..

lyn

Last edited:
It looks as if Alfred Meredith's widow did not remarry as she (Albertina) is still listed on the electoral roll in 1945. I have found her at 70 Oliver Road up to 1927 (using Ancestry) and then the address changes. Am trying to see if I can find any children.
Janice

wonderful froth..thanks for taking the time out to take those photos..i would imagine those houses were not that old when the men lived in them...we are building up quite a picture now..

thanks again..:encouragement:

I see members are still uncovering lots of info (thanks, nice to see people fired up about Lyn's tablet) . For the time being I'll keep gathering together all the info into one doc, just so we have it all in one place - that way it's easier to find the info about each soldier rather than scrolling through the thread. If anyone else wants to write a bio, speak up, come on, don't be shy! Finding this very interesting. Viv.

Thanks Froth for the photos. Brings it home what normal lives these postmen were living up until WW1. Then, suddenly, each of their family's lives would have been turned upside down. Viv.

I see members are still uncovering lots of info (thanks, nice to see people fired up about Lyn's tablet) . For the time being I'll keep gathering together all the info into one doc, just so we have it all in one place - that way it's easier to find the info about each soldier rather than scrolling through the thread. If anyone else wants to write a bio, speak up, come on, don't be shy! Finding this very interesting. Viv.

hi viv well i wont be writing bio im just going to keep on taking the tablets lol...seriously though this thread is now becoming more personal with lots of members showing an interest...

cheers all

lyn

A bit more on Alfred Edward Sharp. He was born in Bristol Gloucestershire to father William and mother Annie (nee Wabley). He was baptised in Fishponds, Stapleton Glos on 29/9/1878. His father William was a Gardener - Domestic Servant. So this would explain Albert's choice to join the Agricultural Labour Corps. Albert came to Erdington between 1891 and 1901, was aged 22 living in lodgings in Erdington High Street and working as an auctioneers assistant. Viv.

Albert Sharp is listed as a lodger in Erdington on the 1901 census. (Still in Gloucestershire in 1891).

Janice

Thanks Janice. Albert married Caroline Annie (Homer) in 1903 and maybe then moved from his High Street lodgings to 44 Gravelly Hill. Viv.

Hi Ken Good suggestion. This was a far as I'd got yesterday in pulling together all the info that's come out. I was doing it merely as a record because there was so much being uncovered and I felt it would be helpful to have it drawn together for each soldier. Hadn't planned for any other use and it's just rough notes. I'd like to write up Charles Bull. Good idea Ken to see if others want to tackle some of this too. Nice collaborative project. Viv.

NOTE. These are just added to demo what I've done, They haven't been checked yet and don't include more recent info added to this thread by members.
View attachment 91132
View attachment 91133
This is all brilliant stuff, Ken Stowe im sure is delighted with Lyn bringing this plaque to the BHF attention , and for her and all of your efforts in finding a new and permanent place for the plaque to be re erected.

thanks happyguy and yes ken stowe is over the moon at our achievements so far...we have a bit of a way to go yet in hopefully getting the plaque put back where it belongs but we are getting there...

lyn

Hi all. I think I've now captured all the info everyone kindly contributed about our 7 soldiers. If I've missed anything, interpreted anything wrongly or if there are errors, please point these out (won't be offended!) However small, if you spot an error do let me know, as this is a work in progress, Also, further additions etc are very, very welcome. We don't have much info about Cornelius Ernest Neal/Ernest Cornelius Neal and Alfred E Meredith. So if anyone turns up anything further about them, please post details. Enjoyed pulling these notes together. Lyn and Ken will soon have a much better picture of each of these men. Thanks all.

You'll see that we've mentioned descendants of Albert Edward Sharp using info kindly supplied by Ken R. If you feel you can add descendent info to each soldier's details please post any details. As Ken R says in post #31, it could help us to track down living relatives.Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393235316.267732.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393235331.029803.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393235343.934826.jpg

wonderful information viv...thank you i shall print it off later for safe keeping...:encouragement:

lyn x

Could I suggest Vivienne opens a new thread.and post the above summery along with acknowledgement to those that contributed I could then close and stick the thread to prevent it being lost amongst all the other posts on the forum. Any new information could be added at a later date

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfred Edwin Meredith was born in Harborne (according to 1911 census) in 1878. His wife was Albertina and they married in 1907. I think there was a daughter Elsie born in 1911 and she is on the electoral roll with Albertina in 1945. It looks as if Albertina died in 1953.

Janice

Many thanks Janice. Sorry I missed the info posted earlier.Will make sure it's added and put an updated doc on the new thread.Viv.

Hi all. I think I've now captured all the info everyone kindly contributed about our 7 soldiers. If I've missed anything, interpreted anything wrongly or if there are errors, please point these out (won't be offended!) However small, if you spot an error do let me know, as this is a work in progress, Also, further additions etc are very, very welcome. We don't have much info about Cornelius Ernest Neal/Ernest Cornelius Neal and Alfred E Meredith. So if anyone turns up anything further about them, please post details. Enjoyed pulling these notes together. Lyn and Ken will soon have a much better picture of each of these men. Thanks all.

You'll see that we've mentioned descendants of Albert Edward Sharp using info kindly supplied by Ken R. If you feel you can add descendent info to each soldier's details please post any details. As Ken R says in post #31, it could help us to track down living relatives.Viv.

View attachment 91149
View attachment 91150
View attachment 91151

Just a small point Viv.
While you have 6915 Pte Neal as 3rd S Rifles, his medal card says he was 1st Battalion.

Many thanks Maypolebaz. I think it's vital we get these details spot on. Will update the doc. Viv.

ERDINGTON SORTING OFFICE 003.JPGpopped over to the erdington sorting office today and just to confirm it was built in 1934..also had a word with the manager who has taken down the details of the plaque and how it came to be found over in ladywood and has promised to make some enquires himself and get back to me...

That's good news Lyn. You need someone on the 'inside'. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Postal workers plaque saved

Thank you all for such a very interesting thread & for all your hard work in finding these dear men in history, I have been engrossed with their stories

Viv, on the information about Alexander Leadbeater you say that by 1911 they had moved to Woodcock Street.

They are at 33 Edwards Road on the 1911 census and on his burial information in 1917 his address is 33 Edwards Road.

I think it is also relevant to include that in 1891 whilst living with his mother in Walsall the 16yr old Alex was a Telegram Messenger so was employed by the Post Office at that time.

Last edited:
A new thread has been opened HERE this will be a closed thread, a summery of the information members have found regarding the men listed on the plaque., please continue to post any further information on this thread, it can be added to the new thread later.

Colin

Back