• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Well done Lyn and all who have played a part in this great tribute.I shall be there tomorrow. Looking forward to the day.Chocks

sorry you cant make it froth...should be a few piccies though..

thanks chocks..a good team effort...just hoping for fine weather now..

lyn
im sure all will be thinking of those heros tomorrow
hope weather is fine for you and all tomorrow
josie

Weather at Alrewas looks ok for tomorrow: sunshine and clouds.

If anyone can give us the broad gist of what's said at the re-dedication, I'd be interested to hear about it. (I expect re-dedications are quite uncommon so think it'd be good to find out how this is carried out).

I think BHF members will want to pass on a special thanks to the families who've come forward and to Lyn for her hard work and for her commitment to making this happen. Also a big thank you to Ken Stowe for rescuing and taking good care of the memorial for all those years and to the Post Office for their support in finding a new home for the plaque.

Viv

weather looks ok so far folks....viv i think dave m is hoping to make the service today and he is very good at taking photos and also video footage so hopefully he will be able to do this for us...i think its only just sinking in now that all this happening for our men and i can only thank again everyone on this forum who has contributed and to those who have shown a keen interest...

lyn.x

Last edited:
I have been asked by Ken Stowe, who has looked after the plaque for 40 years, to thank Lyn, and all of the people who have so brilliantly bought the placement of the plaque to fruition. Proud to be a Brummie,thanks to you all.

I can't be there today but I am thinking of you all and feeling very proud of Lyn and all the hard work she has done to ensure this plaque was put back on display. It must be a wonderful day for Ken to know the plaque he rescued from a demolition site 40 years ago will once again be on view to the public. Thanks to Ken and Lyn these Birmingham postmen who went to war and lost their lives will be forever remembered.

Last edited:
Very well said Viv. Michael and I have just returned home, what a wonderful day to see the plaque now in situ. All the hard work done by Lyn and forum members like yourself Viv has certainly paid off. It was a very moving service and so nice to see family of the men on the plaque at the service. The Mail and Central News were there so hope we can see more soon in the media. I will post some pics soon.

what a wonderful day it has been..thanks to everyone for turning up today to honour our 7 postal workers and to see a happy ending to this story...

wendys pic 2 shows ken stowe sitting down..he was so delighted with the outcome..

wend the evening mail could not make it that was the press photographer for the royal mail as they will be printing this in their next news letter..

the wreath i laid was on behalf of all forum members...will sort a few piccies out later and post them..oh and thanks wend or was it michael for getting a shot of my rear end lol....lovely photos thank you...and must say thanks to the royal mail for laying on a lovely sunday dinner and pud for us all after the service they really pulled out all the stops to make this happen today especially peter armitage MBE (ex postman) who worked so hard to set up the service..he is in the middle of wendys pic 3..

as soon as i know the definate date that central news will be showing their special ww1 programme i will let you know could be the 4th or the 8th of august..

lyn x

Last edited:
on behalf of my mom and me
can i say a big THANK YOU to all that made today possible Ken, Lyn, the Forum,the Royal Mail and Peter Armitage, the National Arboretum,Central news, the Rev Tony Wood and the soldier who played the last post hope i havn't forgot any one
also thanks to the forum folks for being there too.
can you feel sad, proud and happy all at the same time because i did today
sad that they died, proud because they died for us and happy that they will always have a memorial in that lovely place.
thank you
zena and Hazel

thanks mike it was sweltering today such an improvement on yesterdays weather..

hi zena and mom...it was so good to meet you all today and that you all thought the service was fitting...it really was an honour and privilage to be part of the whole event...

lyn x

​Pleased I made it today, thanks to all, the bugler was Major (retd) David Keates,

sorry no video from today

lovely to see you today dave...dont worry about no vids i know you have not been too well of late.. i will post a few pics tomorrow...take care

lyn

Last edited:
Oops sorry Lyn..ha ha . Thanks for putting me right about the Royal Mail press photographer. My head went a bit wuzzy with the Police Helicopter ha ha. I am so looking forward to the TV programme. It was lovely to meet everyone. Peter lives not far from me it would be nice to see him again.

All seems to have gone very well. Glad there was a bugler - bet you were all in tears! I imagine it was very moving. Thanks Wendy for the photos. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

morning viv...it was a lovely day yesterday wish you could have been there...smashing to see everyones hard work for so long come to the ending we all wanted...it was very moving indeed especially for the families of the men...on a lighter note the vicar asked me to hold his walking stick and book for a min and then i got called away by someone and took them with me...bit of a panic to get them back to him lol...

wend cant recall if i mentioned this way back but the royal mail will be holding their big rememberance day on sunday the 16th november..all sorts will be going on..brass band..singers singing the songs of the day..costume dress up etc..i will remind you all nearer the day if anyone would like to go along..

lyn

Last edited:
Yes agree with Lyn its a pity you couldn't be there Viv after all the hard work researching. I didn't see you walk off with the vicars stick Lyn so funny. He was a lovely man.

That date sounds great I will make a note but a reminder will be good.

Glad you returned the vicar's property Lyn - would have made quite an awkward headline in today's newspapers!! But seriously, a couple of questions: who unveiled the tablet and what does it say on the little plaque in front of the tablet? Viv.

great froth im sure you will impressed...and thanks josie..

viv the little plaque says that it was found in ladywood and replaced at he nma and that all the postmen lived and worked in erdington..members of the mens family unveiled it...will be back later with my piccies..will pm you later viv..

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. That's nice that the families unveiled the plaque. In your own time on the other things, you must be worn out! Viv.

Order Of Service

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 20