• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington National School High Street Erdington

Hello all,
I was thinking earlier about Erdington/Birmingham and wondering why I have never seen photos of the National School.
Reading through this thread I now know. I remember when I was in the Birches Green skittleball team,that we played them.I vaguely remember it being a bit grim and grey. It must have been knocked down in the 60's (?)
I'm guessing that if I contacted Erdington library that I could obtain the photos...how many are there do we know?

Thanks Suze

I have two great photos of the National School in Erdington High Street. These were given to me by the Erdington Library with a proviso that they niot be posted on . This because they say they don't know who took them and there might be copyright restraints involved. I have mentioned on this thread that if anyone would like a copy of these photos then send me an Instant Message with an e-mail address and I will be happy to send the photos to you.

Hi Jennyann...is this offer still open?...how do i send an IM please?
Thanks Suze

Hi Suze: I have always found it rather strange that there were no photos around of the National School in Erdington High Street. The school was part of the High Street for so long. Years ago I contacted the Erdington Library and they kindly sent me the two photos that they had. We weren't sure at the time who had taken them
so I didn't post them anywhere as they requested. I finally decided this year to post them as they had turned up somewhere else on the Internet. As mentioned I have now emailed them to you.

Hi Suze: The Roebuck shown in the photo is the second one in that spot at that time. It was rebuilt later on, an awful faceless building really.
Finally, it was renamed The Hairy Lemon which was shut down last year.

Born in Milverton Rd,I went to the National School 1955-60 and remember it well.The teachers were Mr McAllister,I think Mr Grainger was the head master,succeeded by Miss Moore.Opposite the school was a butcher and Littlewoods and across the road from the butcher was Woolworth's.Next to the school were two shop's,one sold baby clothes and wool.Next door to that was the church,which we went to maybe twice a week before school started for the day,run by Canon Power and his wife.They gave us an Easter egg for cleaning the pews.
The teachers were very generous with the cane,the canes being kept in a big cupboard on the wall next to the head master's room,we also had a weekly dose of castor oil or syrup of figs administered by the secretary who was always in a tweed suit.
My eldest sister and cousins went there too.I have a class photo from my last year which I will try and post.

Born in Milverton Rd,I went to the National School 1955-60 and remember it well.The teachers were Mr McAllister,I think Mr Grainger was the head master,succeeded by Miss Moore.Opposite the school was a butcher and Littlewoods and across the road from the butcher was Woolworth's.Next to the school were two shop's,one sold baby clothes and wool.Next door to that was the church,which we went to maybe twice a week before school started for the day,run by Canon Power and his wife.They gave us an Easter egg for cleaning the pews.
The teachers were very generous with the cane,the canes being kept in a big cupboard on the wall next to the head master's room,we also had a weekly dose of castor oil or syrup of figs administered by the secretary who was always in a tweed suit.
My eldest sister and cousins went there too.I have a class photo from my last year which I will try and post.

Hello AMJ......this reminds me of my young days.I went to Birches Green school,but remember...very vaguely going to the National to play a skittles (it wasnt called that but forgot what it was called....two teams had to knock over the others big wooden skittle)...I'm sure someone will let me know
I remember it as quite bleak,cold and austere....and from the sound of your memories it was ...very Victorian

Thank you Suze,
I remember playing skittleball at the back of the school and having bruised legs from guarding the wooden skittle.The school was dingy,had big fireplaces to keep those closest warm.No nastiness between classmates.I think Mr McAllister had a patch over one eye but still good at throwing the blackboard eraser.

Here's the promised photo from the National School,Erdington.A class photo taken at the back of the school late 50's,early 60's.
School 001.jpg I'm the girl front row with my feet out(spot the Clark's shoes)Mr Grainger the headmaster and Miss Moore who became headmistress.
I remember some first names but no surnames.
Ann.

Here's the promised photo from the National School,Erdington.A class photo taken at the back of the school late 50's,early 60's.
View attachment 95598 I'm the girl front row with my feet out(spot the Clark's shoes)Mr Grainger the headmaster and Miss Moore who became headmistress.
I remember some first names but no surnames.
Ann.
I thought i knew Erdington quite well, but i can`t remember a National School. Whereabouts was iit?

Nash1 if you upload it to this forum, then it can be downloaded by whoever wants a copy

Your sister has a very good memory of Erdington Alberta. I do as well but like many places it is changing and it's hard to remember everything along both sides of the High Street all the way from Six Ways to Orphanage Road.

In March before I departed on my trip I sent an e-mail to Erdington Library
regarding a photo of the National School that used to be in the High Street.
I received an e-mail back stating that the Erdington Historical Society may have one or two. I received another e-mail the other day from Erdington Library stating that one of the members had a photo of the National School but since he didn't know who took it felt that it should not be displayed on the Birmingham Forum. I respect that decision since that is the wish of the owner of the photo.

I have, however, sent an e-mail to Bill Dargue and asked him
if he happens to have a photo of the school. There are so many photos of Erdington High Street around but none that I have seen with the
National School on. Hopefully, something will turn up.

Just thought I would bring you up to date on this.
Hello Jenny Ann, I have a postcard of the National Schools in Erdington. Would willing send you a copy but it would have to be post. I too went there to Sunday school, church also and moor end lane and Fentham Rd. Fentham

I have a book entitled ‘Erdington Parish Church’ published in 1948 and written by the then Vicar’s wife, Mary G Power. It’s a discarded library book. It has a couple of interesting passages, one of which describes the National Schools. I don’t think it’s been on this thread before.

‘THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS

The following is a copy of the first entry in the Minute Book of the Erdington National Schools.

“At a meeting called for the purpose of considering the propriety of a School for the education of the children within the Parish of Aston, on the Rev. Dr. Bell’s system, held this 6th day of January, 1813, in the Vestry. From a statement produced of the number of children from five to twelve years of age within these parts of the Parish, it appeared that out of 324, the total, there were of both sexes in the Hamlet of Erdington 184 and in Witton 29 – a very great proportion of whom stood in need of such instruction. The meeting therefore thought it expedient that a school should be first established in the village of Erdington, as being the most centrical point and that a subscription should be opened in the Parish to defray the expense and resolved that a meeting of the subscribers and all other friends to this universally approved method of educating the rising generation should be held at the Vestry upon Sunday the 28th day of February, immediately after Divine Service in the morning, in order to appoint a Committee to carry the plan into execution without delay.”

The first school building was in Bell Lane and the School was commenced on April 6th, 1813.

On the same day it was resolved, “That there be a fortnight’s vacation at Erdington Wake,” and “That there be a half-day’s holiday every Thursday and Saturday, after 12 o’clock.

The first collection in in Erdington Church, that taken at the Consecration Service, was in aid of the National Schools.

In 1824 the Schools were removed to the present site and were enlarged in 1851.

The Schools have a splendid record. For more than 135 years the work of training the young in the essentials of the Christian Faith has been carried on. Every week during term the children come to their Parish Church take part in a service which they know and love.

The Head Master is Mr. W.F. Bishop, B.Sc.

Sunday Schools are also held in the School buildings, which are only three hundred yards from the Church.’

The school closed in the 1960’s I think, and a new school called St Barnabas Church of England Primary school opened in Spring Lane, Erdington.

I have a book entitled ‘Erdington Parish Church’ published in 1948 and written by the then Vicar’s wife, Mary G Power. It’s a discarded library book. It has a couple of interesting passages, one of which describes the National Schools. I don’t think it’s been on this thread before.

‘THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS

The following is a copy of the first entry in the Minute Book of the Erdington National Schools.

“At a meeting called for the purpose of considering the propriety of a School for the education of the children within the Parish of Aston, on the Rev. Dr. Bell’s system, held this 6th day of January, 1813, in the Vestry. From a statement produced of the number of children from five to twelve years of age within these parts of the Parish, it appeared that out of 324, the total, there were of both sexes in the Hamlet of Erdington 184 and in Witton 29 – a very great proportion of whom stood in need of such instruction. The meeting therefore thought it expedient that a school should be first established in the village of Erdington, as being the most centrical point and that a subscription should be opened in the Parish to defray the expense and resolved that a meeting of the subscribers and all other friends to this universally approved method of educating the rising generation should be held at the Vestry upon Sunday the 28th day of February, immediately after Divine Service in the morning, in order to appoint a Committee to carry the plan into execution without delay.”

The first school building was in Bell Lane and the School was commenced on April 6th, 1813.

On the same day it was resolved, “That there be a fortnight’s vacation at Erdington Wake,” and “That there be a half-day’s holiday every Thursday and Saturday, after 12 o’clock.

The first collection in in Erdington Church, that taken at the Consecration Service, was in aid of the National Schools.

In 1824 the Schools were removed to the present site and were enlarged in 1851.

The Schools have a splendid record. For more than 135 years the work of training the young in the essentials of the Christian Faith has been carried on. Every week during term the children come to their Parish Church take part in a service which they know and love.

The Head Master is Mr. W.F. Bishop, B.Sc.

Sunday Schools are also held in the School buildings, which are only three hundred yards from the Church.’

The school closed in the 1960’s I think, and a new school called St Barnabas Church of England Primary school opened in Spring Lane, Erdington.

I would like a photo of the Erdington National School for personal use.
My Dad, born 1903 went there and I have a photo (not very flattering) of his class.
He used to walk to school from Bleak Hill and got frost bite which left his hands
subject to cracking every winter.
Peter
Peter - Just found my grandfathers typed notes on his early life.
Born in New Street, Erdington in June 1901. Went to the National School at the age of 5, so that must have been in 1906.
Do you still have the photo?
Was just wondering if my grandad would be on it, a long shot I know.
Would much appreciate it if you could get back with anything relevant.
Shane

I would like a photo of the Erdington National School for personal use.
My Dad, born 1903 went there and I have a photo (not very flattering) of his class.
He used to walk to school from Bleak Hill and got frost bite which left his hands
subject to cracking every winter.
Peter
Peter - Just found my grandfathers typed notes on his early life.
Born in New Street, Erdington in June 1901. Went to the National School at the age of 5, so that must have been in 1906.
Do you still have the photo?
Was just wondering if my grandad would be on it, a long shot I know.
Would much appreciate it if you could get back with anything relevant.
Shane

Fred 1.jpeg
Erdington National School Probably taken 1910. My Dad, Fred H Burrows back row third from left, with frown. Lived in the Waterworks house at the bottom of Bleak Hill where his Dad was Engine driver.

Hi Peter - thanks for the two fabulous pictures. The teacher in the first (sepia) photo is so typically Edwardian, complete with a 'wasp waist'. I notice that in the second picture many of the children and I think at least one of the teachers are wearing flowers. Any idea what the occasion was, or maybe just for the 'school photo'?
Unfortunately my grandfather is not visible, but he would have been 9 when these pictures were taken, so I guess in a higher class.
I have attached a pdf with the section of my grandfathers memoirs about the school.

Attachments

• National School Erdington.pdf
    850.8 KB · Views: 11
Boys from Erdington High School around 1933

Attachments

• BIRMINGHAM  ERDINGTON High School boys with cricket bats 1933s-l1600.jpg
    BIRMINGHAM ERDINGTON High School boys with cricket bats 1933s-l1600.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 19
  • BIRMINGHAM ERDINGTON High School boys group 1933 s-l1600.jpg
    BIRMINGHAM ERDINGTON High School boys group 1933 s-l1600.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 19
I've seen these two photos on sale on eBay for some time, theyre regularly posted for sale. I don't know of a school in Erdington ever being named Erdington High School, maybe someone can tell us. Perhaps this was in another area of the country ? Or perhaps it was Osborne Road School in Erdington - if so we have a thread here

Viv

I've seen these two photos on sale on eBay for some time, theyre regularly posted for sale. I don't know of a school in Erdington ever being named Erdington High School, maybe someone can tell us. Perhaps this was in another area of the country ? Or perhaps it was Osborne Road School in Erdington - if so we have a thread here

Viv
I am sure the photos are from Erdington Primary School which was in the High Street and reorganised in the 1930's. Maybe the photo's have been miss tagged inserting the High from High Street?

Back