• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Osborne Road School Erdington

S

sjjones

I went to Osborne Rd. Infant & Junior School and remember a number of children there who were from the cottage homes, so why de we think the children at the National School were different?
Was it a special school of some sort?

I went to Osborne Rd. Infant & Junior School and remember a number of children there who were from the cottage homes, so why de we think the children at the National School were different?
Was it a special school of some sort?

I always thought they were under privileged Kids.
Their were Cottage Homes kids at my school ( Moor End Lane ) they were the ones wearing the uniforms

Please accept my apologies coopbill7. sorry to offend you.
I never said the Cottage Homes children were underprivileged, I wrongly assumed that National schools were for underprivileged children, Sorry

no need for apologies no offence taken, in fact I enjoy reading your posts. I also went to Osborn road school, from the cottage homes, and remember the sweet shop opposite the school, why they sent me to the national school I've no idea,maybe it was because I kept running away to home in Pype Hayes road

Hi coopbill7 the sweet shop opposite Osborne Rd School brings back memories.
Do you remember the penny bottles of pop? I think it was just coulored carbonated water and I'm sure they used to nick the school milk bottles.
I also remember how the kali (sherbert) made your mouth and lips turn yellow and what about the jublies...Ah! Those were the days.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Do you remember the penny bottles of pop? I think it was just coulored carbonated water and I'm sure they used to nick the school milk bottles.
I also remember how the kali (sherbert) made your mouth and lips turn yellow and what about the jublies...Ah! Those were the days.

Hi,Sjjones.
I do remember the taste of the pop, only by the fact that, my friend let me have a swig, being in the homes I had no money to buy a bottle,

Hi,Sjjones.
I do remember the taste of the pop, only by the fact that, my friend let me have a swig, being in the homes I had no money to buy a bottle,

Hi ssjones, I can not recall much about my time at Osborn Road school,just snippets such as the sweet shop and one or two friends. my name is Peter, and the year was 1943/44

Sorry Peter,
I was a little after you 1957/8. I remember now that Tom was the lad who used to come back to ours occasionally but I still can't remember his surname. He was in the same class, so about the same age.
It was what you said about your friend who let you have a swig of his pop that rang a bell. We used to pass the pop bottle round and all have a swig...after wiping the top whith your dirty hands first of course.

Anyone know of Osborne Rd School...infant and Junior in Erdington...I went there from 1943 to 48 and remember a teacher by the name of Day...Mrs. my best buddy was Phillip Elson...he and I got into a lot of bother. When it was time to go to Secondry Mod..our mothers agreed we should be parted...I went to Moor End Lane and Phil went to Slade road...anyone know of him ?

I have awful memories of Osbourne Road school. I was attending St Thomas's Sec. Mod (Erdington Abbey) in Sutton New Road and we had to go to Osbourne Road school once a week for metalwork which I hated. In the four years I managed to complete one letter opener and half a goblet.

hi , this is a bit of a shot in the dark really hope this site is still being viewed i was wondering if anybody had any school pics from osborne school in the 60s i am mostly looking for images from 63 on wards and even better if my partner nick named macca was in them (stephan mclean ) thank you,

Last edited:
And there’s a short thread about Osborne Road School here:

Viv
No I don't think it was a special school I think the cottage homes were close by. I remember a friend from the home - Colin
Purcell (I think). I do remember Mrs Rushton and Mr Watkins in my final year there.

No I don't think it was a special school I think the cottage homes were close by. I remember a friend from the home - Colin
Purcell (I think). I do remember Mrs Rushton and Mr Watkins in my final year there.

You are correct, Osbourne Road school was a standard junior and infants’ school. It had Aston Union Cottage Homes in its collection area, so there would have been children from the cottage homes there.

I’m Roy Thompson and I also remember Mr Watkins, Miss Dole, Mr Cliffe, Mr Bomford (headmaster), Mrs Ollrenshaw? went to Moor End Lane from here before passing for Handsworth Technical School. Amazing how distant memory improves as one gets older.

Back