• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

debbieironmonger

master brummie
Hello, l am looking for information on my mom and aunt who were in the Erdington Cottage Homes from 1938. I have tried to find out how I can access any records and have come to a brick wall, i.e. emails, phone calls etc not answered. I have looked at other threads and can't find what I am looking for.

Basically I want to know how I can access the records of the homes, to see if there is any information about my family as my mom and 4 of her siblings were living there in 1939 (Census) and their parents were living is separate male and female lodgings in Digbeth.

Obviously something happened here and I am trying to find out what it could be, so any help, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

My Mothers Name was Patrica Hawkes b. 25/4/32, Birmingham. My Aunt was Joan Marie Hawkes b. 7/4/1928, Birmingham.

If you are talking about 1939 then most records will be "closed" under the 100 year rule. This is designed to protect the privacy of people still alive.

If you are talking about 1939 then most records will be "closed" under the 100 year rule. This is designed to protect the privacy of people still alive.
I was hoping that since all of the family members are now deceased as of 2023, that I there would be some way to see any records

I think the problem is if any records are in a book with entries referring to living people then, as I understand it, the whole book is closed.
Have you looked here?

Last edited:
There are a couple of newspaper reports in Nov 1931 about a Joseph Frank Hawkes being sent to gaol for abandoning his wife and children.

Doesn't appear to mention the wife's name and I'm not sure the details quite match.

Not really relevant but it is possible that their son and his cousin both get a mention in the same article in 1941.

My next question was - parents names so I can check the newspaper archives.
Will see if I can find the articles you refer to.

Joseph Hawkes and Louisa Rose Manders. I'm not sure if he is the Joseph Frank mentioned in the articles but there doesn't appear to be any others.

Joseph Hawkes and Louisa Rose Manders. I'm not sure if he is the Joseph Frank mentioned in the articles but there doesn't appear to be any others.
He is, oh my goodnes thats them. How can I see the article you mention, those are my mothers parenst

Evening Despatch - Thursday 05 November 1931​

View attachment 189488

Yes, that is definately my Grandfather and it appears theirs was an abusive relationship, which follows with family stories. Their children, inlcuding my mom had a turbulent life and probably no suprise that they ended up in care homes. Thank you so much for finding this, although the story appears a sad one, made harder by the times im sure, it has helped me to fill in some of the gaps. I really appreaciate your time. Thank you

This is the other article that MWS referred to. The main part refers to looting from bombed shops but it is unclear what Sydney Manders and Albert Hawkes actually did.

Birmingham Daily Gazette - Friday 11 July 1941​

1709050134687.png

Last edited:
I think his birth was registered as Joseph A rather than the way round it is in the article.
View attachment 189490

yes it was, he was known as Albert because his dad was Joseph. It took me ages to find either of my grandparents because they used different parts of their names at various times. The Manders side of the family were once known as Commander and seemed to have changed to Manders when they moved from Feckenham mid 1800's. They have been known since as Commander, Mander and Manders and baptised and re-baptised with the different names. I'm beginning to wonder now what it was they were all trying to hide.

Back