• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington and Sutton High Streets

Re Bank's on Stockland Green. I remember the block of houses where Bank's originated. It was a whole block of Edwardian or Victorian houses. There was a shoe repair shop run by Mr. Brown which must have been there before WW2. Field's Furniture store was built when some of the houses were pulled down and there was a hairdresser's shop call Regency that also took one of the spaces when the houses were pulled down.
I loved the original Bank's shop and when I came back to Erdington for holidays I would go in an buy lots of stuff. As Betty mentioned in her post, the store stocked all kinds of exercise clothes. I bought some for my daughter who was into ballet back then. Mrs. Banks was very kind and as Betty said they would endeavour to find anything that you wanted. I am glad that the shop has survived all the changes on Stockland Green.
A few years ago I wrote my memories of Stockland Green (where I grew up) after WW2 for a web site called Your memories.Here's the link. My stories are under Jennifer Nicol. https://www.pasttimesproject.co.uk/lsl_browse.php?subsite=ll&county=West Midlands&town=erdington

There was a health clinic further down Slade Road from Stockland Green. I think it is still some kind of health facility. In the late l940's and onwards it was where the local children went for sun ray treatments and dentistry.

Did you see the proposed sketch of what the church may look like when it's rebuilt. At first I was horrified,but thinking about it, It would drag it out of the doldrums it was in. I believe the community would use it more.

I agree with you Frothy. It's sometimes hard to imagine such a thing as a modern architectural appendage to a heritage building. It has happened in a couple of places that I know off but offshore. Some people like it some don't. A bit like Selfridges appearing in the Bull Ring(sorry can't get used to Bullring). Some like it and some don't. Erdington Parish is a big part of the Erdington community and I hope that they can get to work restoring the church very soon.
The Erdington Ministry website is being redone at the moment.

Hi again

Happy New Year from NZ we are 15 minutes away from 2010!!

One memory of Erdington - Tommy Johnsons Motors next to the Abbey, his house went back onto the Abbey Primary School - opposite the Abbey Garage. Nan and Pop used to be chaufeured by Tommy or one of his guys usually in a big Wolsely, we all thought was a converted Hearse!!! anyway this day Nan and Pop and I were on one of our outings and Tommy came in his own Jag - Nan looked at Tommy and said now you will not go above 30 will you - no says Tommy you watch this gauge I promise it will not go above 30 - at the end of the journey Nan said oh Mr Johnson was so good I watched the gauge and it never went above 30 - Pops and I did not have the nerve to tell her she had been looking at the REV COUNTER and that Tommy had been going in excess of 80 mph most of the way!!! Oh well better go and wake the neighbourhood up with some bells and whistles and hope the next door neighbour gets out his bagpipes can hear him warming up - so from NZ HAPPY NEW YEAR

Dyan

Quite like the drawing of the planned renovation of St Barnabus but I hope they don't extend outside the original area as my Grandfather and Grandmother are buried just outside the confines of the old church! I've been a couple of times to tend the grave being met and let through the builders' gate by a very nice church warden lady.

hi anyone have any pictures of fashoda square erdington or know of it my mom was brought up there , thank youxxx

Hi Miggy3: I can't recall a street or road called Fashoda Square in Erdington. There is a Fashoda Street in Selly Oak though.

The centre picture on Post 15.
The trees on the right hide the Congregational Church and on the left my families doctors DR. Houston and Dr Throne

and our family solicitor next door.

That's interesting.. I remember Mr Talbot the Dentist on the immediate left! Dr Houston when I was little was on the corner of Rollason Rd and Wood End Rd...

Ian

Hi

I dont want to start an argument but in the years I was in Erdington I have only known Doc Houston and Throne were always in that same house - yes I remember Mr Talbot - "the butcher" (dentist) after one episode with him I went to one on Sutton Rd right at the top by the Yenton. Yes I am in the "golden age" now like 70's so my memory may not be as good, but my Dad and Mum left UK in 1993 and they were still there then.

Then we must be at cross purposes... Dr Houston was at Rollason Rd / Wood End Rd from at least 1946 untill he finished practising... so let's assume that there must have been two Dr Houstons in Erdington.. No doubt many people on here have been treated by both and can confirm that for us.

Hi

Yes there must have been two Iknow he had a son John Jnr. My Gt Grandmothers death Cert and my grandmothers death certs are all signed by Dr John Houston, he signed my medical certs to come to NZ in 1967 and Dr Throne signed Mum and Dads. I remember the surgery well you went in the front door and there was a big room with chairs and you took a seat and as each one went in you moved up a chair, Dr Houston had the room which was at the side of the waiting room and bigger, Doc Throne had one which you had to pass the nurses staion for sort of out the back and much smaller. The surgery hours were 8.30 to noon and 2.30 to 5 pm. In between they did house calls. As a younger person I was quite ill and one of them used to visit me always around lunch time at home. I have a card from Doc Throne when Dad died in 1993 I think Dr houston snr had retired by then or was not as active. Perhaps someone who has access to the old phone books can confirm that there were two. As I say I dont want to start a debate ;-)
Dyan

This is how we establish historical facts Dyan ... please don't shy away from disagreeing with me!

After some research I can confirm that their were two Dr Houston's, they were brothers, John and James.

Back