• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ERDINGTON ALMSHOUSES/WORKHOUSE/HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL

Help!

I am looking for a bit of help trying to locate any potential details of my great grandmother and my grandmother and her siblings. Forgive the drawn out expanation. On the 1911 census they were living at Erdington.

My great grandmother (Julia Reece) was married to a 'right charmer' Alfred Edward Farmer. He managed to make the papers in 1913 for deserting his wife and family and tricking another woman! The family ended up in the workhouse and him in prison. I have put the news article below and a transcription as it's hard too read.

What I am keen to find out is what workhouse they would have gone to (I assume Erdington) and if records exist where I can get some more details.

I'd be grateful for any help/ideas.

Malcolm

1657700777857.png
Article Birmingham Gazette July 1913
A story concerning the double life a Birmingham man has been leading for two years past was told at the Victoria Courts yesterday.
The man was Alfred Edward Farmer, formerly living in Osborne Road, Erdington was charged with deserting his wife and five children, and leaving them chargeable to the Birmingham Union. He was sent to gaol for six weeks hard labour.
Inspector Wheeler said Farmer, who was a commercial traveller, left home to go to Coventry on 2nd July last and did not return again to his wife.
Mrs Farmer and her five children, the eldest of whom was eleven years of age entered the Workhouse on the 25th July, and all together had cost the guardians six guineas.
Farmer, said witness, had been earning between £3 and £5 per week, but out of his wages only gave 18s to 20s weekly to his wife to keep the house going.
During the past two years the defendant had been keeping company with a young woman and for the last twelve months had given her 10s per week in order that it would not be necessary for her to go to work.
He represented to her that he had £8000 in the bank, which bought him in £5 per week.
He had arranged to marry this girl on 7th August last and had taken a house at Moseley and opened up negotiations with a leading firm in the city with regard to furnishings.
Finally, however, he told his intended ‘bride’ that he would be unable to marry her because his mother had stopped his money.
Subsequently the young woman made enquiries and found out he was a married man.

Off the top of my head, the workhouse may have been Aston Union Workhouse, later known as Highcroft Hall. It sits within the boundary of Revivor Road, Slade Road, Fentham Road and Highcroft Road, so I believe it is in Erdington B23.

There were some Alms Houses at the top of Station Road and Sutton (New?) Road Erdington too.

Off the top of my head, the workhouse may have been Aston Union Workhouse, later known as Highcroft Hall. It sits within the boundary of Revivor Road, Slade Road, Fentham Road and Highcroft Road, so I believe it is in Erdington B23.

There were some Alms Houses at the top of Station Road and Sutton (New?) Road Erdington too.
Thank you very much. I am hunting through the thread to see what else I can pick up. Ideally, I would like to hunt down some records. I never meet my greatgrandmother and I was only 3 when my grandmother passed away. My mother never spoke of it. I only found out doing family history research.

Malcolm

Sorry for the delay in responding we were away over the weekend. I will certainly follow up this link and next time I come back to Birmingham I'll book a slot at the record centre in the library.
Malcolm

With regard to Almshouses in Erdington, you might find these people helpful at the Sir Josiah Mason trust. They also cover the Holte Almshouses that were moved to Erdington from Aston (not physically of course !).

A couple of extracts from their site and background to the Holte interest. Viv.

View attachment 152425
View attachment 152426
View attachment 152427

Almshouses owned by SJMT are now all boarded up after all the residents were moved out and the land put up for sale.

In advert:
"All of the properties will be empty upon completion of the purchase"
So did they get the bailiff's in ? Not much charity there
thats what i thought mike....have they turfed out the residents just to rent the houses out again...i am unclear on this...and also what has happened to the residents that used to live in them

lyn

On their website they say "we do welcome people who self-fund their accommodation" . But if they are selling their properties --? And where is the money going that they get for them.

On their website they say "we do welcome people who self-fund their accommodation" . But if they are selling their properties --? And where is the money going that they get for them.
does not make sense to me mike..

lyn

another so called (charity/associations)who dont want to pay for the up keep of the properties as the maintenance costs have gone sky high,so they are off loading them,booting out the tennents making them homeless and selling the properties.its shocking.:mad:

The residents that lived there were given about 9 months to find somewhere else. There were 9 of them all men and last i heard they had all found somewhere to live. None of them wanted to leave and some had been there for over 10 years. The reason that SJMT gave for selling was that the council wouldnt give planning permission for what they wanted to do. The property was taken off the market a few months ago when all the residents had gone and SJMT and the council suddenly decided they might be able to find a solution to the planning permission after all.

The residents that lived there were given about 9 months to find somewhere else. There were 9 of them all men and last i heard they had all found somewhere to live. None of them wanted to leave and some had been there for over 10 years. The reason that SJMT gave for selling was that the council wouldnt give planning permission for what they wanted to do. The property was taken off the market a few months ago when all the residents had gone and SJMT and the council suddenly decided they might be able to find a solution to the planning permission after all.
thanks victor...awful to evict those elderly residents...i wonder if a solution is found re planning permission they will be given the chance to come back...shocking

lyn

The residents were told they would be given first refusal and this was in writing. Whether they will want to go back under the changed circumstances is another matter, i suspect not.

The residents were told they would be given first refusal and this was in writing. Whether they will want to go back under the changed circumstances is another matter, i suspect not.
disgraceful victor...cant keep up rooting people like that...i am afraid i would tell them where to go if offered to come back

lyn

Back