• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Emuss (Hemus) Robert butcher & cattle dealer died 1867 in rail crash

soonguy

proper brummie kid
Hi, I am an amateur local historian and have been researching the story of a double train crash and double runaway trains in Derbyshire in September 1867. The main runaway train was carrying cattle and eight Birmingham drovers. Five died in that crash. I have written up the story at http://tinyurl.com/railcrashes1867

One of the drovers is named in newspaper reports and one directory of the time as Robert Hemus, butcher and cattle dealer, of High St, Aston Newtown. His death was registered as Robert Hemas in N Derbyshire, with no age known, but as the identification may have been made by one of his surviving colleagues, it would be easy for the name to be misheard or misunderstood. However, I can find no census or other records that seem to be him, though there are one or two people of that name in Birmingham. And there is no one of a name remotely like his in the Birmingham burials for 1867, even though one newspaper report suggests that he was buried at Witton.

It may be that his name has been badly scanned by OCR in the newspaper archive, but that does not account for his name being correct in a directory. Perhaps he was using an assumed or trade name, or had anglicised a foreign name for simplicity.

Any ideas of where to look to try and identify him will be gratefully received. Mega thanks.

Last edited:
hi an usual name to work with and as you say one that could easily be misheard...does the newspaper report give us his age when he died and if he was married ...any extra info may help ?

lyn

Last edited:
closest i can get at the min is a burial for a robert hemus 1836 at st martins age 68...add given barford st...could possibly be our roberts father but its only guess work as we have very little to go on..hampered by the fact that as yet we do not know if he was born in birmingham

lyn

Last edited:
hi an usual name to work with and as you say one that could easily be misheard...does the newspaper report give us his age when he died and if he was married ...any extra info may help ?

lyn

A bit distant but my 4 x g grandmother was a Hemus and it was frustrating lyn, with various spellings. She was born in Wroxall and father's family was possibly from Cofton Hackett. Haven't got a Robert though.

A bit distant but my 4 x g grandmother was a Hemus and it was frustrating lyn, with various spellings. She was born in Wroxall and father's family was possibly from Cofton Hackett. Haven't got a Robert though.
hi mark i agree its a difficult surname so many ways of spelling it...as said earlier i did find a burial for possible father but its pure guess work at the min...bit busy now so i will come back to this later on

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS

lyn
Nothing in any of the articles I have read so far. There are a lot so haven't looked at all.
Just say "Robert Hemus butcher and cattle dealer, Aston, Newtown".
Perhaps op will know more?

The 1867 burial at Witton is possibly a Robert Emuss b1836 in Droitwich, listed as a butcher in Aston 1861.

If this is the person in the op don't know.
Sounds promising.

Like Lyn - busy this morning but will come back later.

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. Robert Emuss in Witton Cemetery sounds like him. O it's possible that all the references to him as Hemus were mishearings,even in the directory, and had an assumption of an unpronounced 'h'. Newspaper reports of his death as Hemus were largely syndicated, so a single source with a mishearing would account for that. I'm told that the majority of burials at Witton did not have stone memorials. There was no age given on his death registration, which was far from home, and doubtless none of his surviving colleagues would have known his age. Here's his directory listing. His other colleagues he was with were all in their 30s, by the way.

Attachments

• robert hemus in aston newtown address 1862.JPG
    robert hemus in aston newtown address 1862.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 6
i have found this marr for a robert emuss 1850 parish of st stephens...high st aston as mentioned on post 1 was indeed in the parish of st stephens

NameRobert Emuss
GenderMale
Marriage Date25 Sep 1850
Marriage PlaceSaint Stephen,Birmingham,Warwick,England
SpouseMary Ann Potter
FHL Film Number0814861, 0817172

If you have access to Ancestry, check out the probate listings: Robert Emuss, butcher, High Street, Aston died 9th September 1867, New Mills. Effects granted to his widow, Mary Ann Emuss

If you have access to Ancestry, check out the probate listings: Robert Emuss, butcher, High Street, Aston died 9th September 1867, New Mills. Effects granted to his widow, Mary Ann Emuss
Thanks so much, that totally confirms his correct surname.

i have found this marr for a robert emuss 1850 parish of st stephens...high st aston as mentioned on post 1 was indeed in the parish of st stephens

NameRobert Emuss
GenderMale
Marriage Date25 Sep 1850
Marriage PlaceSaint Stephen,Birmingham,Warwick,England
SpouseMary Ann Potter
FHL Film Number0814861, 0817172
Thanks so much that works across with his probate, with his wife as Mary Ann. Great.

marr cert confirms his dad as william add on mar cert gt hampton row newtown

Attachments

• 40458_316955-00270 (3).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
hi soonguy...on the 1861 robert and mary ann are living at walsall road part of new st aston..robert is age 33 born droitwich so born 1828...occ butcher....i think you have your man but best to double check info

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn - hadn't got that far in my searches.
Agree about cabinet maker. Although think marriage cert says builder.

hi soonguy...on the 1861 robert and mary ann are living at walsall road part of new st aston..robert is age 33 born droitwich so born 1828...occ butcher....i think you have your man but best to double check info

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I'm sure this all adds up together, very grateful.

Back