• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Elmdon Hall

elmdon

proper brummie kid
in carl chinns book peaky blinders, there is a photo of martino changretta working with a gang of men and a pair of steam traction engines, on the demolition of elmdon hall in 1921 as the hall was not knocked down till after the second world war, i wonder if this is the servants quarters and stables being taken down,are there any more photos of this job about and avaliable for viewing

There is, in post 4 of this thread, details and photos of Elmdon Hall. Maybe there is something there.

thanks for the info r/r the photos were great would be grateful any info you know of reguards elmdon estate

Here’s the section of the article about Elmdon Hall which accompanied the image in post #4. 22B3CD6A-27E5-4B64-B53E-A24ADDF18851.jpeg

Attachments

• F13421AE-E54F-4319-8D16-255B3577A130.jpeg
    F13421AE-E54F-4319-8D16-255B3577A130.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
And from Aris’s Birmingham Gazette dated 5/10/1840 auction details.

Attachments

• D113380B-9F13-44E9-AF91-349AD20C5631.jpeg
    D113380B-9F13-44E9-AF91-349AD20C5631.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 35CB6AF9-C62A-460E-8D1D-D9DF45725762.jpeg
    35CB6AF9-C62A-460E-8D1D-D9DF45725762.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 10
The Coventry Standard reported on 19/6/1874 a fire in the stables at Elmdon Hall. Viv.

Attachments

• D6A88C8B-8812-433D-ADAB-2571003E352E.jpeg
    D6A88C8B-8812-433D-ADAB-2571003E352E.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 15
I go and walk in Elmdon Park now and again.

Even though the hall has gone a number outbuildings still exist nearby which I assume were outbuildings for the hall, such as stables or housing for staff or gardeners.

Below is a view of the area from Google maps.

In the bottom right you can see Elmdon church, and I think the large building on the very left of the photo is (or was) the vicarage. A footpath goes beside this vicarage so you can see it close up.

In the upper right of the photo are some more buildings some of which could be stables for the hall.

On the right of the map there is a sign which says Elmdon Manor walled garden with what looks like a large pond.

Elmdon.JPG

Last edited:
Can you still get into the walled garden? I grew up in the area & we used this park a lot (the hilly layout was great for sledging!). You could get into the walled garden by walking through what became a little nature reserve. The garden itself was all overgrown & shrubby, but the walls were all in tact.

I remember the pond you can see on the right. Hilariously, it used to have a 'no ball games' sign smack bang in the middle of it. It always used to be green with algae.

There's a much bigger pond further down off to what would be the bottom right of this picture that would have been the ornamental garden lake for the main house when it was still there. It wasn't very deep.

As a kid I really wanted to live in the gate house, which is just out of shot at the top of the track with bushes either side that runs up past the old Rectory (which I believe was converted to flats). The gate house is opposite what used to be the main entrance for Elmdon airport.

Here is Elmdon Park with the huge pond / lake at the bottom (the house would have been near the top of this photo).

As you can now see the Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) buildings now wrap round a large part of the park

Elmdon Park.JPG

And below is Elmdon Hall Gate Lodge, as you say near the old entrance to the airport.

I am not sure you would want to live there now, as it is very near the very busy A45 Dual Carriageway.

90931045.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that there is a local history group doing some research about Elmdon Hall. The history group have unearthed historical records suggesting a detached bath house in the grounds and have found a buried rectangular foundation which might be it.

One of the researchers dug up some information on bath houses as in 1846 the government gave permission and funding for bath houses due to an outbreak of cholera and the need for regular bathing. The estate had a few farms, so that would be possible a communal bath house for them.

Interesting that there would be government funding for a bath house on a private mansion estate.

i am impressed with your knowledge of the elmdon history group we are working hard to get a proper archaeological
dig under way along with solihull council and local archaeological group we are only surmising cholera was the reason for the bath house on the estate. after some research the government were very worried about the constant cholera out breaks it would appear birmingham council were allso building public bathes and outdoor bathing areas at about the same time

Hi...
Just reading your threads on Elmdon Hall and Park.....
How things have changed over the years , physically and naturally...
My daughter got married at Elmdon church and lives locally and I often take my grandchildren to the park..
On a recent visit , to my surprise I heard the squawking cries of parrots , yes parrots...
As a breeder of parrots and budgies I know their cries any where... After a little patience and wait by some oak trees by the stream , I spotted several Green parrots perched in the trees...
Since then I have spotted a larger colony elsewhere in the park.
Also I have spotted a Egret , which is a white Heron...
So , even with Rover on its doorstep , nature will find a way......

Hi...
Just reading your threads on Elmdon Hall and Park.....
How things have changed over the years , physically and naturally...
My daughter got married at Elmdon church and lives locally and I often take my grandchildren to the park..
On a recent visit , to my surprise I heard the squawking cries of parrots , yes parrots...
As a breeder of parrots and budgies I know their cries any where... After a little patience and wait by some oak trees by the stream , I spotted several Green parrots perched in the trees...
Since then I have spotted a larger colony elsewhere in the park.
Also I have spotted a Egret , which is a white Heron...
So , even with Rover on its doorstep , nature will find a way......
I spotted onr by my house (Frankley) a couple of years ago. Looks like they are spreading North from the established colonies round London.

Yes, we now have lots of parrots in London!
I hear them squarking and flying around all the time in the parks and areas with trees in my area :grinning:

Sorry - getting off topic now!

Back