• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ELLIS family

J

Janetell

Hello everyone
This is my first posting to this web ring so I hope this message is appropriate for this forum. My husband's great grandfather was Thomas ELLIS who was born (according to census records of 1861-1901) in Birmingham in 1836. On his marriage certificate to Eliza HANCOCK in Northampton in 1857 he records his father as Thomas ELLIS, Spur Maker. I have been unable to locate Thomas as a boy in the census of either 1841 or 51. I have a possible baptism of a Thomas son of Thomas ELLIS and Elizabeth. I have been unable to locate this family on the early census records. If anyone is researching ELLIS in Birmingham/Northampton I would be very pleased to hear from them.
Regards
Janet

Welcome Janetell, good luck in your hunt and enjoy being part of this great Cyber Family

Thank you for the nice welcome! It would be wonderful if I found a 'cousin' of this family; I live in hope.

Janetell,
My great grandmother, Jane Ellis born 1830 in Poddington, Bedsfordshitre (border to Northants) has her line going back to a William born 1798 in Irchester, Northants. Most of the line are found in Poddington. Twice the line inter married with my line over the years until my motley crew left for Birmingham in the 1850's.
Have only one Thomas born Poddington 1827 died 3/8/1873 No knowledge of his trade
Willing to advise if required. Drop a pm to me.
Will.

Thanks for that. I'm afraid the dates do not tie in with our line as I expecting Thomas Ellis senior to have been born about 1816 or earlier. Our Ellis family left Birmingham for Northampton in the mid 1870's and although there were 11 known surviving grandchildren of Thomas senior I have found very few descendants and none who have knowledge of the Birmingham ELLIS's. I will, however, look at the Northamptonshire ELLIS's as I am on the spot and there may well be a link after all.
Kind regards
Janet

Ellis

My step-grandad is called Alfred Ellis but he didn't know any of his family apart from his mother. I will find out some more information off him. I know his birthday is 7th October but not sure what year. Probably about 1936/7?

Michelle. :)

Ellis

Beatrice Ellis, I think that was his mother. From the Aston area.

I had friends by the name of Ellis in Birmingham in the 1950s/60s
Ted Ellis was a jeweller/engraver and worked in the jewelery quarter.

They lived on Kingstanding Road up in the number 900s on the brow where it goes over to Streetly. Ted died just before I left Birmingham in 1965 he was quite young I believe only in his mid 50s.

He had a wife and two sons, Teddy and Robin

Hi Janetell

Just for ref, is this your Thomas in 1861 --

Name:Thomas Ellis
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1836
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Eliza
Where born:Birm, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish:St Thomas
Town:Birmingham
County/Island:Warwickshire

Registration district:Birmingham
Sub-registration district:St Thomas
ED, institution, or vessel:13
Household schedule number:143

Household Members:NameAge
Eliza Ellis 20
Frederick Ellis
Thomas Ellis
Thomas Ellis

bren

Ellis's of Aston

Hi Guys,

My Grandfather, George Ellis, was born approx. 1870, he married Jane Bradley.

They lived at 457, Lichfield Road.

They had eight children, Fanny, George, Florence, Clara, Thomas, Frederick, Arthur(died in infancy) and the youngest, Gladys who was my mother.

They are all gone now, my mother, the last, died in 2002, in Townsville Australia.

Apart from myself, all their offspring, my cousins, still live in the birminham area.

I live in Townsville Queensland Australia, and have done so for the last 40 years.

As to whether we are related to Jane I dont know, perhaps some one can enlighten me.

Norm

Greetings from Birmingham Everyone

My Great Grandmother was Louisa Ellis. She was born at, back of 101 Smith Street, Birmingham, on 21st January 1865. Her parents were William Ellis and Louisa Smith. "William Ellis is recorded as a "Tailor Journeyman" on her birth certificate.

She had two siblings that I know of, William, born 30th December 1866, and Ellen, born 21st May 1869. William & Louisa were both Christened at St George's on 4th Feb 1867 and Ellen was Christened at St George's on 13th June 1869.

So far I have been unable to trace the family in any census or locate the marriage of William Ellis and Louisa Smith.

When Louisa Ellis married Edward Henry Smith in 1883 her father, William Ellis, is recorded as a "Bedstead Maker"

If any of the above rings any bells with anyone I love to hear from them.

Hi Gunmaker

Found a couple of possible marriages on freebmd. The first is a long-shot - Eliza is sometimes a nickname for Louisa. The second is more promising.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
-----------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1861

Ellis William Aston 6d 276
Evans Henry Aston 6d 276
Lewis Catherine Aston 6d 276
Smith Eliza Aston 6d 276

-------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1863

Carter William W Bromwich 6b 958
Ellis William W Bromwich 6b 958
Hathaway Sarah Ann W Bromwich 6b 958
Smith Louisa W Bromwich 6b 958

Hi gunmaker

Sorry, all i can tell you is i found Smith St on the 1871 Census and living at 101 was the Crisp family, i also checked all the back houses and drew a blank there. I have done a few searches and so far and i aint getting anywhere

bren

Hi Janetell, A Husband, Wife & Son named Ellis had a cooked meat shop on the Coventry Rd (A45) near The Swan Island, Yardley, pre & post WW2, the lived on New Coventry Rd, Sheldon going towards the Airport, can`t remember Mom & Dad`s names but their son was Albert, might be useless info but hope it helps.

Hi Gunmaker

Found a couple of possible marriages on freebmd. The first is a long-shot - Eliza is sometimes a nickname for Louisa. The second is more promising.

Marriages Jun 1861

Ellis William Aston 6d 276
Evans Henry Aston 6d 276
Lewis Catherine Aston 6d 276
Smith Eliza Aston 6d 276

Marriages Dec 1863

Carter William W Bromwich 6b 958
Ellis William W Bromwich 6b 958
Hathaway Sarah Ann W Bromwich 6b 958
Smith Louisa W Bromwich 6b 958

Hi gunmaker

Sorry, all i can tell you is i found Smith St on the 1871 Census and living at 101 was the Crisp family, i also checked all the back houses and drew a blank there. I have done a few searches and so far and i aint getting anywhere

bren

Hi Beatrice & Bren

Thanks for taking the trouble to try and find my Ellis ancestors.

Beatrice, I have already been to the West Bromwich RO and the marriage you mention is not the right one. I did not consider the other one. I will give it try with Birmingham RO.

Bren, Thanks for trying also, I tried and got nowhere too.

Given my Louisa Ellis was born in 1865 you would have thought she and her siblings would have turned up somewhere, or am I expecting too much?

Thanks again for trying.

Hi Gunmaker. It's a pity the W. Bromwich marriage is the wrong one because as I said the other one really is a long shot and I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Sorry.

Back