• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Electoral Roll Registering

sistersue61

master brummie
This sort of crosses a couple of forums, so thought I'd put it on general.
Does anyone know whether you had to register on the electoral roll or was it choice?
The reason for asking is that I can't find some of the family, even though I'm sure they lived in Birmingham.There are a couple of entries, then they disappear, I know not all years were covered and the age restrictions for the rolls, but the people I am looking for don't fall into them.
Any ideas please?
Thanks, Sue

Sue, Maybe they moved to Smethwick (say), or just outside the boundary which is not actually under Birmingham.

shortie

That's the only thing I could think of too Shortie, but in the 1911 census they are in Great Francis Street, yet can't pick them up on 1912 roll, so thought maybe if they didn't have to register, that would be why.
Something else to puzzle over, but this is Micks family we are looking at!!!!
Thanks,Sue

Sue there may be another reason. I don't think there was a regular Electoral Roll for 'ordinary' folk until about 1920, and mostly women were not included until about 1928. I am sure someone such as Mikejee knows the full facts, as to why, but just because you cannot find them I don't think it means they were not there. I am not fully au-fait with all the rules, but I think you could not opt out of ER's like you can't today. I am sure they will turn up soon!

Sue
There are several reasons why you cannot find them, some arising from them, some from the online rolls. you have already covered them being just outside and age differences, but:
1. Although you were/are atill supposed to register, not everyone could be bothered, and indeed some might prefer for their residence not to be known, either for "legal" reasons. or because they didn't like authority knowing too much.
2. this reason applies to all pdf record searching.The search facility on the online rolls relies on character recognition . That is, the scans are analysed by a computer , which assigns an electronic text to it. Sometimes the lettering is unclear, particulalrly where the original book is creased, dirty etc. Also there are sometimes glitches where it reads part of another entry in with the one you want,. In these cases , when it does a search it fails to pick up what you want because it has electronically recorded it slightly (or possibly very) incorrectly.
3. The name of the street as inputted by the scanner can vary , and this can upset the search. For example St Lukes Road in some yaers can be found under St Luke's Road, and some years under Lukes road, and , if I remember correctly one year it is St Lukes
4. I have found that in some cases the online records are incomplete. presumably because a page or so was miseed when the original was scanned.. I have found this several times, where , if you search by street, a whole batch is missing (say 40-60 , or for non-consecutive numbering 40,42,43,46......to 68,70,72)

There is nothing you can do in case 1.
In case 2 if someone I definitely think is there cannot be found, then I search the whole street for that year in the hope that there has been an error, and i can find them
In case three - you can try several versions if there are any
in case 4 all you can do is check (by looking at whole street ) if any parts are missing and, if youare lucky enough to live near a Birmingham library, go in and check the relevent hard copy

Sorry if none of these points are very helpful, but those are the only suggestions i can think of at present
mike

Mike that's really helpful, will try a whole street search and also try variants of the street name.
Thanks a lot, Sue

Sue have you tried the wildcard * For example, if the name was gertrude smith - you could put ger* smith. Thats what I was advised to do on Midlandhistoricaldata site and helped me.

Thanks Carolina, thats another one to try too. Have just got some credits for that site, so will have a go later.
Thanks Sue

Back