• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edwin Clayton Any Idea Where He Would Have Been Buried 1882

paula1964

master brummie
Hi,

Could anyone be able to give me some advice I have Edwin Clayton who died 1882 his address at the time of death was 10 Unett Street I am having trouble trying to locate where he may be.

Also his wife Eliza Clayton nee Winkles died in 1900 she was living at Back of 5 it looks like Witton Street any help locating these would be a great help as they are getting a bit tricky to track down.:redface:

Kind regards Paula

I think with the address and date my first search would be Witton Cemetery.

Thanks Wendy,

I will try there I know the people at Witton were very helpfull when I was trying to find my Baker family and now have a photo of the grave just got to work out who the final person is buried there as I know four of them just got to get that last one, as they told me there is five in the plot.

Thanks for your help and hopefully I will beable to locate him I know this family do not want to be found as his son George disappeared by 1911 without a trace, saying that it has kept me very busy and I have found relatives I never new exsisted.

Kind regards Paula

Paula although Witton St was in the Manor Of aston it is located on the outskirts it would be called Bordesley Now. Dek

Hi Dek

Thanks for your posting my aunt took some photo's of our family grave when she was there last time but have not actually been there myself yet, but it looks like I have a few buried there so once I have all the cert's for the deaths I will go and have a good luck round.

Kind regards Paula

Hi it is Paula again,

Sorry to ask, I have now had a reply off Witton Cemetery and Edwin nor Eliza are there, anyone got any idea's where to look now, is there anymore churches near to the area where they could be it is not possible for me to travel very far so I am hoping that I can e-mail a few churches so see.

Thanks for taking the time to read this again and any ideas would be most gratefull.

Kind regards Paula

Paul the nearest church that i can recall to Witton St was St Andrews by the Blues ground i dont know if it had a grave yard( i think so but not sure) i,m know the locals will put me right. Dek

Hi Dek,

I am in the dark with this one complete mystry to me I thought they may have been at Witton but no but then again if everything was the easy, I would have found my family from Carlisle Cumria, they have disappeared completley, but I suppose that is what keeps us all hooked on this family history as you do get to know about family members that you never knew existed.

Thanks again for your reply. Paula

Paul i had my doubts from the start Witton st is on the east side of B,ham where Witton Cemetery is on the north they must be 8 miles apart a long way to travel in those days nearer churches would be St martins in the Bull Ring , St Bartholemews (this was in the italian quarter no longer there) St James Vauxhall (bombed in the war)st Mathews Neachells. These are a few much closer i,m sure there are many more. Dek

Hi Dex,

Thanks for those places I will look into it them maybe something will pop up.

Much appreciated Paula

Hi,

Could anyone be able to give me some advice I have Edwin Clayton who died 1882 his address at the time of death was 10 Unett Street I am having trouble trying to locate where he may be.

Also his wife Eliza Clayton nee Winkles died in 1900 she was living at Back of 5 it looks like Witton Street any help locating these would be a great help as they are getting a bit tricky to track down.:redface:

Kind regards Paula

Hi Paula
Don't know if you have located the graves yet?

Edwin Clayton buried 1882 register number 30637 at Warstone Lane Cemetery
Eliza Clayton buried 1900 register number 56061 at Warstone Lane Cemetery

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

So sorry for the late reply, thank you so much for this information no I had still not found them, much appreciated, I have just changed my broadband provider and so trying like mad to get my e-mail contacts etc sorted.

Thanks again your one in a million for this.

Paula

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a big ask but does anyone go to Warstone Lane Cemetry and could have a look and see if my relies have a headstone please I was kindly given the information off Suzanne
Edwin Clayton buried 1882 register number 30637 at Warstone Lane Cemetery
Eliza Clayton buried 1900 register number 56061 at Warstone Lane Cemetery

I would be most grateful as can not travel at the moment.

Kind regards Paula

If Brian or Wendy can provide me with additional information, I may be able to call in tomorrow.

Hi Leslam,

I would really appreciate that it is very kind of you to offer thank you.
I will wait and see if Brian or Wendy can provide the additional information

Kind regards Paula

Sadly it doesn't look like there is a memorial Edwin Clayton is in section B no 1785 and Eliza is in secton O 1298.

P.S. Sorry for the delay had to pick my granddaughter up from Tamworth Gang Show.

View attachment 74484

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paula,
Just got in - O 1298 is an unmarked Public Grave iwith trees growing out of it, right behind the Mint building which is being turned into Apartments.

B1785 also appears to be an unmarked Public Grave, beside the wall which runs from Warstone Lane, and turns left dowbn towards the mint. It would be the last grave brfore the wall drops back slightly as you come along it from Warstone Lane.

I could try and take some pics of the sites next Tuesday, or possibly Sunday if I get a chance?

Itb will only be a pic of soil with trees growing out of it, but it will help find the exact spots if you want to come and plant some bulbs there?

Brian

HI Paula , and wendy ;
do you not think its possible that they coud be in south yardly cem ;or the lodge hill one ;
my grand mother died in 1953 in digbeth but she was taken to south yardley and burried from there
also what about lodge hill; cem ; if i am thinking straight did we or did we not have a burrial sight over at the little bromwich
quarters of the old little bromwich hospital ; in the late 1800s to the early 1900,s
and a question for paula ;are you related to the winkles family of king standings ; as they are old friends of mine
the mother used to work at the great barr hospital way back in the eighties ;
good look on your research astonian

Astonian we have located the graves in Warstone Lane but there is no memorial.

good morning wendy
thanks for notifying me ; and thats got to be great news for paula ;
its sad there is not a memoral for the family
wendy ; on the subject of not haveing a memoral on a grave ;how does one get to put one there
i beleive you have to have some kind of certif; or a person of the family whom as to consent ;
what if there is no living relatives whom hold such certif; can it still be done
the reason i have asked because my grand parents are in south yardley with excatly the same postion
its between to other graves and covered by turf ; smartley kept thou ; as i am the only livingmember to them is there any think i can do ;
look foreward to hearing from you when you can ;
have a nice day best wishes astonian;;;

I've been to WL this morning and I think that I have located the correct places for B 1785 and O 1298. Pretty sure that B1785 is right, so have staked it and written on the stake. Put in the stake where I think O1298 is, but need Brian's confirmation as I'm relatively new to grave location. Both locations very peaceful and away form the main thoroughfares. I'll attach some photos later.

Cheers Leslam, will check Sunday.
Astonian - Handsworth cemetery have forms to allow headstones and 'temporary' markers - you really must go through channels and pay a small cost, and ensure that the memorial is decent enough for a cemetery.

'Temporary' grave markers, Brass plaques, wooden crosses, etc are available from Undertakers, Stonemasons, Cemeteries and although officially for 2 years whilst the grave settles down, we have agreements that in WL & KH they will be indefinite - or until they fall apart and become unseemly.

Brian

Hi Leslam and Brian and Wendy

Thank you all for your help with this, it is so appreciated, I would love to see the photo's you have taken Leslam and Brian thank you for the offer aswell.

I will have to see when the whether gets better if I can get some one to give me a lift there and plant some bulbs there do I need permission to do this is.

Wendy thankyou so much for looking for a memorial for me that was very kind of you to look.

Kind regards Paula

Hi Paula,

Planting bulbs doesn't require any permissions - we do it all the time!
Hang on over the weekend so we can confirm the spots.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Will do I have to wait until I can get some one to take me as I am disabled and can not get about very well, so can not travel on buses and I think a taxi will cost abit from where I am
Regards Paula

Adding the images the show the approximate location of the graves. I added a small stake. Click on the images below to make them larger.

B 1785: The grave is to the left of the stump. The public graves lie along the boundary - at right angles to the memorial that you can see in the picture.
Warstone_Lane-B1785_50pc.jpg

O 1298: This picture was taken with my back to the old Mint buildings (new flats). Between the skae and the graves you can see is an area where there are no graves (in both directions), so I think that this must be a path that isn't marked on the plans.
Warstone_Lane-O1298_trimmed.jpg

Hi Leslam,

Thank you so much for this what a shame they are not together, I am hoping my sister can help me there soon so I can plant some bulbs when the weather gets better but It was very kind of you to do all this hopefully they will have some lovely flowers.
Thanks again it is much appreciated you are very kind.

I pop back on later as got to log off now.

Paula

Back