• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edwin Clayton Any Idea Where He Would Have Been Buried 1882

Hi Paula,

met with leslam this morning in Warstone Lane.
B 1785 is where the buttress is on the wall, slightly left of les's original marker.
I have moved the marker, scraped away leaves, and marked the grave number on the marker in Felt Tip.

O1298 is spot. I have again marked the stake with grave number, scraped an area clear of leaf litter, and cut away several sapling, branches.
I have some pics, as does Leslam, but have to resize and load them up into Coppermine.

Brian

WL_O1298_marker.JPG WL_O_1298_looking_towards_Warstone_lane.JPG WL_O_1298_looking_towards_Pitsford_St.JPG

WL O 1298 (site of). Eliza Clayton 1900.
Marker, View looking upslope towards Warstone Lane and Down slope tyowards Pitsford St & Icknield St path.
Public graves are separated from private graves by an earthen path.

WL_B_1785_marker.JPG WL_B_1785.JPG

WL B 1785 (site of). Edwin Clayton 1882. Each Public Grave is only open for a year. Once full, the next is opened. Hense separate graves for differing years of burial.

Paula if you live in Brum and are free in the week, send me an MI, may be able to give you a lift one day if you wish.
Brian

I was at WL to do a bit on one of my relatives graves, but I met up with Brian. Brian has covered most angles, but I have just one picture to add to Brian's pictures of O 1298

Warstone_Lane-O1298_backtocatacombs.jpg
This picture was taken with my back to the catacombs, looking across the earthen path. There is another row of public graves behind the row that contains ) 1298. The brick edging for O 1297 and its neighbour (1318) is visible when you are on site. I did spend a few minutes trying to find the edging for O 1298 asq it should line up with 1297, but I ran out of time (and yes Brian the heavens opened and I got soaked before I got back to the car!). Because it is under the trees, there is a big build-up of leaf-mold, so the edging (if it is still there), willl take a bit of finding. At least the loctaion is now marked so you can visit.

Hi Brian

Thank you so much for doing that it is much appreciated and marking them for me aswell, at least when I get to go there I will know it is them, thank you so much for your kindness

Paula

Leslam beat me to it with her markers. I just cross checked, adjusted and took a big Felt Tip.
I cleared the grave areas a bit so you can see the approx area of the graves.
Passed away half an hour whilst i was deciding if it would stay dry long enoughj for a bonfire!
(Managed one for a few hours, once Leslam left, the heavans opened and put it out - so early bath!)

Always a joy to help

Brian

Hi Brian,

Oh dear the heavens did open up earlier, yes I had seen the ones Leslam had done and thanked them in a early post. So many kind people on here.

Paula

Back