• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

EDWIN CHAPMAN

bombed out brummie

master brummie
Looking for information on Edwin/Edward Chapman born circa 1850-55 trade a slater. I have him on the 1911 census and his death in 1917. He had two daughters Susannah Maria born 1883 and Clara Maria born 1884, I have their marriages. Any further info would be most appreciated.

Edwin Chapman , a slater ,born 1850 with mother Ann . widow,and siblings
Henry 26, William 19,Joseph, 16,Maria 12.
living in Garrison Lane in 1881.

Birth registered Edwin Chapman Sept qtr 1850 Birmingham

1851 William and Ann with 11 months old Edward in Tamworth.

1861 he is Edward b birmingham
1871 he is Edwin living with William and Ann in duddeston
William died in 1879.
William Chapman had married Ann Orton in Austrey , Tamworth 1850

Edward was born before their marriage, registered as Edward Orton Jun 1850 Tamworth. If he was actually William Chapman's son is anyone's guess.

Thank you once again MWS and Alberta for your info on Edwin Chapman, another avenue to research!! thanks for your help. He was supposed to have married my great grandmother, Hurley/Earley after her husband John Hurley a bricklayer had either left or died sometime between 1881 when my grandmother was born and 1912, but there is no marriage that I can find, or death of John Hurley/Earley that fits. My grandmother Elizabeth Hurley/Earley gave her maiden name on just one of her children's birth certificates in 1912 as Chapman, and one of her daughters remembers Chapman living with them. All very confusing. Thank you both once again, its spurred me on to try again.

Elizabeth Earley married Richard Marson, Dec 25th 1903 St Gabriel, Deritend father John Earley.
Her date of birth on 1939 is 30th June 1881 , cannot find Elizabeth Hurley or Earley around this time.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back