• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dutton history...

jpsmyth

master brummie
Hi,

I'm currently trying to dig up information on my grandfather who was called Derek Dutton, I'm aware he married Jean Florence Oldacres in 1955 and I believe his father was called William J Dutton and his mother Elsie Mary Dutton (Whitlock - maiden name). Finally I know his sister was called Ida and Derek was the projectionist at the Alum Rock "The Rock" cinema circa 1945.

Any help someone could offer would be of great help. Family info, grave locations etc.

It looks like Elsie was buried at Handsworth Cemetery in 1968. William possibly in 1965though not certain.

Appears that William and Elsie didn't Mary until 1955.

Possibly on the wrong track but was William older than Elsie and married before? They only marrying after his first wife died?

If so then William could possibly have died late 1955 and was maybe buried at Lodge Hill Cemetery.

Jean listed as Hall on marriage to Derek (previously married to Henry Hall).

Last edited:
Possibly on the wrong track but was William older than Elsie and married before? They only marrying after his first wife died?

If so then William could possibly have died late 1955 and was maybe buried at Lodge Hill Cemetery.

Jean listed as Hall on marriage to Derek (previously married to Henry Hall).
Hi, your correct about Jean and Henry Hall, he was my biological grandfather his full name was Henry Josepth Hall but was known as "Joe".

There's little information about his family history also....any help you could give would be appreciated.

Was he born Bham in 1928, the son of Herbert Joseph Edwin Hall and Caroline Jane Wallace, and died in 1992?

Lived in Crossfield Road and possibly had 2 sisters.

In that case then, he appears to be the correct person. What other info are you looking for?

This is as sure as I can be without seeing certificates...

Henry Joseph Hall was born 19 Aug 1928, the son of Herbert Edward James Hall (not as above) and Caroline Jane Wallace. There were 2 sisters, Violet Annie (1924) and Constance (1925). He died in 1992.

Herbert Edward James was born 1 Nov 1902 in Hatherton, Staffs son Henry Joseph Hall and Elizabeth Annie Raison/Reason & died 1967. Caroline Jane was born 21 Nov 1903 Bham, daughter of Joseph Wallace and Caroline Jane Edge & died 1985.

There are 3 matching burial/cremation listings at Brandwood End Cemetery

Hi,

I'm currently trying to dig up information on my grandfather who was called Derek Dutton, I'm aware he married Jean Florence Oldacres in 1955 and I believe his father was called William J Dutton and his mother Elsie Mary Dutton (Whitlock - maiden name). Finally I know his sister was called Ida and Derek was the projectionist at the Alum Rock "The Rock" cinema circa 1945.

Any help someone could offer would be of great help. Family info, grave locations etc.
Recently added Dutton to my family tree

Henry Joseph Hall was born 19 Aug 1928, the son of Herbert Edward James Hall (not as above) and Caroline Jane Wallace. There were 2 sisters, Violet Annie (1924) and Constance (1925). He died in 1992.

Herbert Edward James was born 1 Nov 1902 in Hatherton, Staffs son Henry Joseph Hall and Elizabeth Annie Raison/Reason & died 1967. Caroline Jane was born 21 Nov 1903 Bham, daughter of Joseph Wallace and Caroline Jane Edge & died 1985.

All looks great thanks, Herbert Edward James being born in Hatherton Staffs - where did you source that information as I have struggled to obtain that? Elizabeth Annie Raison/Reason - who is that I don't have that name in my tree? Everything elase fits perfectly many thanks.

It would seem as if she is the wife of Henry Joseph Hall and so mother of Herbert Edward James.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Doesn't sound right Henry joseph hall was my grandfather and 100% was first married to Jean Florence Oldacres and later he married Joan Stephens. No children were called her ert Edward James.

All looks great thanks, Herbert Edward James being born in Hatherton Staffs - where did you source that information as I have struggled to obtain that? Elizabeth Annie Raison/Reason - who is that I don't have that name in my tree? Everything elase fits perfectly many thanks.

On the 1939 register Herbert, Caroline and Constance (Henry probably blanked out) are listed at 78 Crossfield Road. Herbert and Caroline are listed at that address on various ERs and so is Henry.

I did confuse Herbert for someone else but the dob didn't match, so looked again and found Herbert born Hatherton. He and family are living at 35 Elkington St in 1921, proving they came to Bham

Info gathered from familysearch, Ancestry and findmypast.

Doesn't sound right Henry joseph hall was my grandfather and 100% was first married to Jean Florence Oldacres and later he married Joan Stephens. No children were called her ert Edward James.

Herbert Edward James father also called Henry Joseph (post #9). He had a brother Henry Joseph as well.

Birth registered 1902 at Cannock of Herbert Edward James with mmn Raison.
I think we have more than one Henry Joseph causing confusion.
If I have followed correctly:
Henry Joseph and Elizabeth Raison had a son Herbert Edward born 1902.
Herbert Edward and Caroline Wallace had a son Henry Joseph born 1928 and he is the one who married Jean Oldacres and then Joan.

Last edited:

Hi, all good with the exception of the "Elizabeth Annie Raison/Reason" I can't see where she fits in nor any of my records flagging such a surname. Everything else fits perfectly - many thanks for your help.

Elizabeth Annie Raison was the grandmother of Henry Joseph (Joe) Hall (b1928), mother of Herbert Edward James Hall (b1902) and the wife of Henry Joseph Hall.

There are a number of family trees on Ancestry and all those that list parents for Herbert appear (I can't see much) to be incorrect.

If I had to surmise, I would say Herbert, son of James and Mary married an Ellen Harriet Espley and died in 1991 but as you say if op is in possession of certificates they may prove/disprove things.

This is Henry Joseph Hall's birth certificate (my grandfather). His mother is listed as Caroline Jane Wallace, his father Herbert Edward James Hall. This is the first building block of my ancestry research.
We are not disputing this. The question seems to be who are the parents of Herbert Edward James Hall.
You have the father as James Hall and the Mother as Mary Ann Forman but on the marriage cert you have posted Herbert's Father is given as JOSEPH Hall (if I read it correctly as it is a little blurred in this format). How does this tie in with James? Whereas we have Henry JOSEPH Hall married to Elizabeth Raison.
Do you have a birth cert for Herbert?

Marriage certificate lists Herbert's father as Joseph not James, still likely to be Henry Joseph of Staffs as he is mostly listed as Joseph.

Back