• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Does anyone know which street this airplane body is being transported in?

With a Standard Vanguard and a Morris Minor in the pic the only safe conclusion I have is that the street was somewhere in Britain. If only Stan Millington had stood more to the side of the fuselage, he would have got the RAF crest in the pic and we would have a lead to follow ... :grinning:

With a Standard Vanguard and a Morris Minor in the pic the only safe conclusion I have is that the street was somewhere in Britain. If only Stan Millington had stood more to the side of the fuselage, he would have got the RAF crest in the pic and we would have a lead to follow ... :grinning:
yes OM and it would have been useful to see the car number plate....never mind we may solve it one day

lyn

richard i thought i may have found the location from the newspaper archives but no luck...however i would have thought that a cargo as large as our plane would have made the headlines..just for interest below is the article i found but as i said its not our planeView attachment 162829

lyn
Lyn, sometimes it seems like newspapers like to print the more juicy stuff! And that the fuselage of a fighter (looks like) jamming the traffic is not significant enough. Not trying to be cynical.

richard i thought i may have found the location from the newspaper archives but no luck...however i would have thought that a cargo as large as our plane would have made the headlines..just for interest below is the article i found but as i said its not our planeView attachment 162829

lyn
Lyn, I notice that report mentions that the aircraft in their photo is a Vickers Viking which was a civilian version of the Valetta ... it's a long shot but I think I'll have a Google streetview around Banbury. It is one place I never looked at in the thread... :)

yes OM mike told me the same thing which seems a bit of a coinsidence dont you think...i think banbury could be a good bet as i still dont think its in birmingham...

lyn

Have just discovered that the Queens Flight used 4 Vikings. from 1946, It was based at Benson, which is not that far from Banbury.

I've had a quick look around Banbury ... the buildings look right but that distance house on the hill doesn't fit. I will have a look in Daventry and around RAF Benson.
Seeing Mike's post reminds me about the mystery gasholder we have on the forum ...and never found ... ;)

Well if are at loose ends with this thread then how about the No. 8 bus thread, thought ti be in Icknield Street, but was not and which, as far as I remember, was unsolved. :D

I thought Midpubs had provided evidence ?
Hi All, I have just come across this thread but haven't read the contents yet, so apologies if this has been mentioned.
In the sixties we used to visit my husbands aunt, who lived in Barrows Lane Sheldon. From memory, next door but one was a Cadets/Territorial base. In the grounds was a Gloster Meteor. I don't suppose this would be of any help to the mystery?
Incidentally old Mohawk, I didn't live far from Corporation Street and #85 is a photo that I have looked at many times and it does intrigue me. That Midland Red Bus seems out of place but I think that is because I didn't realise that part of Corporation Street was one way at that time (WAS IT)?
I don't think the man running for a bus (WAS HE) was holding a sign for A3, it is probably a signpost telling motorists the A34 is just down the road?
Kind regards, Sue

Hi All, I have just come across this thread but haven't read the contents yet, so apologies if this has been mentioned.
In the sixties we used to visit my husbands aunt, who lived in Barrows Lane Sheldon. From memory, next door but one was a Cadets/Territorial base. In the grounds was a Gloster Meteor. I don't suppose this would be of any help to the mystery?
Incidentally old Mohawk, I didn't live far from Corporation Street and #85 is a photo that I have looked at many times and it does intrigue me. That Midland Red Bus seems out of place but I think that is because I didn't realise that part of Corporation Street was one way at that time (WAS IT)?
I don't think the man running for a bus (WAS HE) was holding a sign for A3, it is probably a signpost telling motorists the A34 is just down the road?
Kind regards, Sue
Yes Sue indeed there was a Meteor sited outside the entrance to 2030 Squadron (Elmdon) H.Q. building which was located behind the main T.A. drill hall Both my son and daughter were members of this squadron.

Hi All,
Kind regards, Sue
There were many theories about the man discussed in the original 'people in the pics thread' one member even thought the photo had been 'fiddled with' ... it does seem strange ... no one else in the pic is looking at him.! No one knows where the original had come from. Maybe someone airbrushed the man into the pic to puzzle us lot!

It is fairly easy to do it because during the 'lockdown months' of 2020 I whiled away an hour or so with a go in the Hobbies thread. The file name and the 'smiley' in the corner gives the game away.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/hobbies-2020.51084/post-685460

Back