• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Did You Have a Paper Round ?

Dave,I started in 1958/9 delivering papers but worked at the shop as well stocktaking for Maurice his drinks,smokes etc right up until 1965 when I sailed for OZ.I see you live on the Pheasey;I did deliver there on odd occasions especially if the train was late from London with the morning papers and the paper kids had given up on them arriving.I passed the shop last year on a visit and see it was still in business.Cheers Les

Thanks Les Born on the Pheasey :), lived there until 15 1959, then the sea called :),

Paper round based at Clairs on the Queslett Road, near the Trees Pub, covered Kings road then down Shady Lane, time around 56-58 ?, yes on a Sunday :(, lots of extra weight :(

I had a paper-round with Oliver's Newsagents on Witton Road, near to the junction with Norris Road. The manager was a Mr Allen (I think) and he'd happily dock you a tanner from the five bob a week he paid his paper-boys if you were late turning up in the morning. I hated him, and he hated me. The worst 'drop' was the TA Barracks next door to Villa Park, where there was a very large hound whose aim in life was to chase off paper-boys and posties. One morning the bugger caught me, and held onto my ankle as I threw the papers in the general direction of the door. He really hurt me, but I beat him off with my canvas bag. Naturally the doggie's owner complained to Mr Allen, I was later sacked on the spot, and when my dad found out what had gone on he went down to Oliver's and told the horrible Mr Allen where he could stuff his papers. After that episode I used to take great delight in stepping into Oliver's to buy a magazine or sweets and giving Mr Allen a certain look...my old man must have scared the hell out of him. Happy days! (Not)

Big Gee

I had a paper round around the old prefabs off the College road Kingstanding / Perry Common when I was 11 in 1970.

I used to do the Hurstwood and Maxted road area of prefabs which were mostly occupied by old people. The roads never really went anywhere so were not used as a shortcut and it was really quiet and peacefull.

I loved doing that paper round, the old people were so nice and it was so quiet, dont think I ever missed a day !

What a smashing thread I wonder if our John got good tips in Little Aston............well he wouldn't tell me woud he!:)

I didnt actually have a proper round to myself but used to help gillian flello whose parents owned the newsagents in frank st.highgate..she used to give me pocket money and sweets .one night we were delivering the argus pink sport paper and id gone down an entry to deliver to one house ...a huge great alsatian dog came out barking and i made haste down the entry and it ran after me and because there was no room for it to get past me it climbed up and over my back badly scratching me and in my hair ..i screamed blue murder and all came running .needless to say that was my last day delivering papers and from that day since i wont walk with a dog behind me .i cross the road ..it was terrifying ..i was only 10 yrs old ......and to add insult to injury the dog ran off with my school beret ......

Hy husband used to have a paper round (not for long, though) for the newsagents in Beauchamp Avenue, Handsworth Wood. He got ten shillings for the round, which was a very long one. Not all the houses had papers so it was sometimes a bit of a stretch between houses, so he did it on his bike. When he was getting a bit fed up of doing all this and being the greedy person he was (is), when he spied an unopened box of 'Snowballs' - (marshmallow covered in chocolate and then dessicated coconut), whilst loading up his bag he popped them in his bag and covered the box with papers - this was, by the way, in the summer. Needless to say near the end of his round, some of the papers got melted 'snowballs' on them (he had, I assume, opened the box in order to gorge on the delights inside). Not really knowing what to do for the best, and knowing he would be reported (quite rightly) if he delivered newspapers covered in sticky stuff, he removed all the front pages! I am sure many people wondered why they had their Birmingham Mail deliverd starting at page 3. It gives us a laugh, remembering. I just hope no-one on this forum ever recieved the Mail without a front cover!

That's sexist Alf how about us paper girls??????. There were as many if not more in my day. Byyyyyyeeeee. Jean.

Back