• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Did we smell?

Hello Judy,

I think Goya did Black Orchid and Gardenia...if my memory serves me well.

Actually Evening in Paris was very nice. I think I would give that a go now, but it is quite expensive on the internet.

Maggs.

Hello Girls,

Just thought of another two...Max Factor Electrique and Primitif...remember these?

Maggs.

Maggs, I have just googled Goya and Phul Nana. Goya did do a perfume called Lily of the Valley, as well as Gardenia. Also found this Phul Nana perfume card, which is what I had, on ebay. Judy.

Yes Judy, I remember those cards now. I used to put them in with my clothes drawer. Oh memories come flooding back don't they? We needed nice smells in those old back to backs. Perhaps you never lived in one.

Maggs.

Just thinking we should change the name of this 'did we smell' thread to did we smell nice.

Maggs.

No I didn't Maggs, but my mother and grandparents did. How they managed I'll never know, especially with so many in some families. I don't think we would like to go back to those days. It must have been very hard trying to keep fresh and clean, apart from anything else.

Judy

Lucky you then Judy,

I still have nightmares about those cellars and up the yard loo's. Those houses were left standing for far too long. Private landlords I believe. However replacing them with high rise flats was awful. They became slums in their own right didn't they?

Maggs.

mmmmmmmmmm carbolic soap and coaltar soap they have such a clean smell to them brings back fond childhood memorys
did manage to find to coal tar soap in boots of all places my son called me strange and said the soap stinks and he wasnt washing with that soap lol
kids today dont know there born lol

We used carbolic soap that would keep any smell away

Hello Celia,

Yes, lovely carbolic! However, Wrights Coal tar was a soap I used in the late 50's. When I got a very serious infection I was still using the soap, but after I recovered I could never face using it again...and still can't. Just the smell of it now reminds of how dreadfully ill I felt. Strange how powerful the sense of smell is.

Maggs.

My wife says its very difficult to get carbolic soap,so she gets hers of the Internet she cleans every thing with it including me

Mau-reece

Hello Mossy,

I get my carbolic off the internet too. I think it is the only place these days.

Maggs.

hi mossy
bless your wife lol
at least you know you will be clean
yes it is hard to find carbolic soap in the shops you used to be able to get it in the very old fashioned die hard, hard wear stores but unfortuneatly they are a dying breed and not many of them about
however i was awear you could buy carbolic soap on the net
will have to have a look

Wrights coal tar soap,lovely smell,but my wife banned it from the house,she said it stinks.
Does anyone remember cleaning their teeth with soot and salt? I did, and I still have all my own teeth,exept for 3 back teeth.

Yes, I cleaned my teeth with salt and soot. Still have all minus one molar and one pre molar. Does anyone remember green chloryfil toothpaste.

Maggs.

Mossy I don't believe you are a carbolic smelling man at all. I'd say rathere a lunx bloke. I don't remember the green toothpaste only some red stuff that cost me an arm and a leg supposidly to make my teeth look whiter but all it did was made my gums redder. Mind you still have all my own teeth or maybe just as many fillings. Nowt wrong with plastic teeth Pete as long as they do the job. Jean.

Hello Jean,

I do remember the red toothpaste, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called...it will come to me eventually. I used it too, and as you say it did make the gums go red. Didn't taste too nice either and expensive, a tiny little tube.

Maggs.

Jean - you are talking about Gordon Moore's Cosmetic Toothpaste! It made your gums pink so that your teeth looked whiter. I used to use it when I went out dancing!!

Judy

Thanks Judy I couldn't remember before when someone brought it up. [The subject not the toothpaste]. Jean.

carbolic soap i used it for years.life***.That stuff we had at school was great but sadly it is on the banned list.as they say the carbolic acid is not good for you.

dose anybody remember the bars of white soap we used to have in the loos at school
and the tissue paper loo roll that used to take 3 layers of skin off your bum everytime you used it

i think it was white windsor soap.as for the paper i recall the square paper.hidden in a metal box on the wall it was like using.sand paper,thats if you could get any out the box.

What you two were lucky ours were always empty at school. think they were made by Jeyes. I do remember the bars of white soap Celia that wouldn't lather if you tried all day. Jean.

hi jean
yes i do remember on the odd occiasion the box on the wall being empty
and yes the soap wouldnt lather you could be there all day and still get no suds and it was no good for getting the paint off your hands if you had been painting at school because you couldnt get any suds

oh happy days lol

celia

Mind you Celia WE DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO SMELL at our school as we did some type of physical exercise every day and then it was the comunial showers afterwards. Herded through like sheep. Jean.

Back