• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Did we smell?

Did we smell, we still do!

I am a smoker but give up occasionally and am repeatedly amazed how much and how differently people smell. Suppose and hope it wouldn't be so apparent if I gave up for longer!

Give it up it's bad for you. You might smell the nice things too.

Maggs.

Yes, I remember bath cubes. There were some very nice ones too. In this area they made the water a little softer. I would imagine in Brum water they made a foam bath.

Maggs.

Maggs when we used to go to Monument Rd baths,we had to wait for our turn and the man used to shout ''NEXT'' and when you got in it was always to hot

Mau-reece

Maggs when we used to go to Monument Rd baths,we had to wait for our turn and the man used to shout ''NEXT'' and when you got in it was always to hot

Mau-reece

Perhaps they were a more polite to the ladies. I can't remember 'NEXT' but they certainly were not friendly. The water was never too hot, perhaps a bit cooler for the ladies eh? I used to hate the ride home on the No8 bus afterwards though. Towels and soap etc to carry. Talk about 'We know where you've been'

Maggs.

Maggs me and my two brothers used to walk it as we lived in Shakespeare Rd i was not to far and after we used to play down the cut afterwards

Mau-reece

Maggs me and my two brothers used to walk it as we lived in Shakespeare Rd i was not to far and after we used to play down the cut afterwards

Mau-reece

Funny really because we used to walk to the Edbaston cinema quite often, but always took the No 8 to the baths and for swimming. Suppose we still felt a bit damp eh? Being a girl, I was always warned 'keep away from the cut'. However, my brother used to swim in it and I belive my father too. Good grief can you imagine that today? The water in the canals always had a greasy rainbow floating on it. It all looks a bit smarter now though.

Maggs.

Maggs we never used to swim in the cut to many dead dogs Lol

Oh my goodness! I never knew that. I don't think I want to know the reason why there were dogs in there. It's a wonder my brother didn't catch something.

Maggs.

Hi Maggs,

Yes I think we were more covered up in those days. I did office work in the late 1950's and one of the girls came to work in a sleeveless blouse. Not low cut or anything just sleeveless. She was asked if she thought she was on the beach and told not to wear the blouse again. How things have changed.

Regards Rustie

Hello Rustie,

Yes, things were very strict in those days. However, the office I worked in during the late 80's didn't allow trousers. So not that long ago.

As you say it wouldn't happen today, I can just imagine what might be said if anyone was told about dress code today can't you?

My husband and I spend a lot of time in London, and at lunch times when the office workers come out for sarnies etc., they are incredibly smart. Suits both men and women. Very nice to see, they are young people too.

Regards.

Maggs.

Hi Maggs,

I agree it is nice to see young people looking smart in their suits.

rustie

Hello Rustie,

I was just thinking about deodorants. I feel sure that one called 'Mitcham' was around during the 50's. Anyone remember?

Regards,

Maggs.

Hi Maggs,

Don't recall that deodrant only remember the mum. Going off deodrants I do remember we had lovely perfumes in the 50's at least thats what I remember. I don't know if it was gala or goya that did a perfume called black rose. It was lovely and my boyfriend, now my husband used to buy it for me. It was the only perfume he ever really liked. I wonder if it was as nice as I remember or did everything seem better in our youth. My mom had a bottle of evening in paris on her dressing table for years. Don't recall her ever using it. It was a midnight blue bottle with stars on.

Anyway sorry about going off the subject.

Rustie

We did at the ice rink after we rubbed liniment on our legs before a race.
I think it was a bit like Redex in cars, we thought it made us race faster !!
I seem to remember a 'Wintergreen' type smell.
icon7.gif

I think kids smelt of what they ate. with me it was sugar on butter sandwiches and Dripping sandwiches, lovely

thats exactly what i grew up on sugar sandwiches and dripping with bovril spread over it.

Does anyone remember this deodorant ODORONO? Not sure if this is the correct spelling, but there is a message in the name. It was available in the 1950's and may have been one of the first stick deodorants on the market.
Anthea.

Hello Anthea,

Yes I remember ODORONO and that was the correct spelling. I had forgotten about that one.

Maggs.

Hello Maggs, It must have been a sign of the times, but I actually felt embarrassed asking for a deodorant in the Chemists shop; can't remember why?????
Anthea.

Food takes part with regard to body odour all nationalities have their own distinct odour...Cat

Hello Anthea,

I think we were embarassed about a lot of things then. These days we don't have to ask for a lot of things in shops do we? Perhaps this help yourself is a good thing eh?

Deodorant is something I have been lucky enough not to need a lot of. These days I use 'Crystal Spring' natural body deodorant which I buy from the health food shop. It is good and safe (no chemicals). It works well for me, but as I said I am not a sweaty person, which probably helps...dont know!

Maggs.

Anyone remember Phulnana (think that how you spell it)? It was the first perfume I ever knew about.

I can't remember the first time I used a deodorant, but I do remember the name Odorono, Anthea. Like you Maggs I now use a natural deodorant, Tom's, as it doesn't contain aluminium.

Judy

Hello Judy,

Yes the natural deodorant does work. Glad someone knew what I was talking about.

Maggs

Hello Rustie,

Yes I remember the Goya perfume. At the tower ballroom (in the ladies), they used to have machines that contained that perfume and a couple of others. I think we had to put 6d in to get a quirt. My mother in law had some Evening in Paris in the little blue bottle. I was having a clear out and accidently threw it out...no wonder I hate clear out's. I have never got over doing that. I did have an Evening in Paris bottle of perfume when I was about 15yrs old. Mine was in a little bucket of champagne (all plastic) the ice on the top lifted off to reveal the precious blue bottle. It would be worth a fortune now. However one can still buy Evening in Paris perfume on the internet.

Maggs.

Hi Maggs and Rustie

You are really reviving some old memories now! Evening in Paris - wow! I do remember that one. I thought I was very sophisticated using that when I was about 15, and used to have a Goya one as well, but can't remember the name, might have been Lilies of the Valley?

Judy

Back