• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Derelict factory on York Road, HALL GREEN, Birmingham

Roma HG

Hi, I am trying to find out what the derelict factory on York Road, HALL GREEN, BIRMINGHAM used to be, it is the large factory opposite what used to be Rolls Royce factory that is now a new housing estate in the making. Many thanks Roma

On the left as you come from Cateswell Road before the railway bridge? If so they are listed as electric substations, behind which there was a corporation yard.

I think this was Veloce Ltd, makers of the famous Velocette motorcycle.

See also lots of info on Forum under Velocette factories. Enthusiasts can read up [lots of phots] at https://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-velocette-factory-looking-through.htm Here's a location map from the site. Factory long gone and houses occupy the site. On the extreme right of the map is I think the Rolls Royce factory - a hugh site. I think this has also been demolished & houses built on site.
1708867873536.jpeg1708868550769.jpeg

The Velocette Factory was taken over by Rolls Royce. - Here is the factory in 1945 - You can see the plan still looks much the same as the map posted by Superdad.Factory1.JPG
Then the factory was extended - and the "Derelict Factory" that Roma asked about was built on the opposite side of the road. It is not a factory, as MWS pointed out it is an electrical substation, in a very long, thin building - It's fronted by an imposing frontage with a glass stairwell at one end that makes it look like an office block or factory. Here is the Rolls Royce Factory back in 2000 with the Electric substation facing it across York Road.
Now the Rolls Royce Factory has been demolished with new housing built on the site - but the long, thin Electrical Substation with the imposing wall-like high facade is still there.
Factory3.JPG

As can be seen on Google Streetview...

Attachments

• factory2.JPG
    factory2.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 5
It may not be "Derelict" at all! - See this view on Google Streetview from Wisley Brook Lane on the other side - You can see the top of the electrical equipment above the wall.

Thanks folk for clarifying. I for one got mixed up between the two sites and decided to research further. Notes are on the Roll Royce site only and not the power station site.

1899: Hunphries & Dawes set up in Birmingham as cycle manufacturers,
c1911: H & D started production of two-stroke motor cycles at the Hall Green Works,
1926: The partners split up and Dawes Cycles Ltd. continued at the Hall Green Works making cycles [PS: I remember Dawes bikes as a lad as I imagine do many other forum members?]
1708962036468.jpeg 1709028513034.jpeg

c1927: Site taken over by Velocette. They also started as cycle makers in Birmingham but expanded into motorbikes and bought the Hall Green Works where they remained until 1971. As mentioned above there is a great Veleocettie site. Here's just three pics at Hall Green.

1708962930058.jpeg 1708963120767.jpeg1708963008486.jpeg

After closure in 1971, the original factory was demolished. The new building was occupied by Goodrich Engine Control Systems but in 2008 Goodrich & Rolls Royce formed a joint company to operate on site as Rolls Royce Goodrich Engine Control Systems. In 2012 it became wholly owned bv Rolls Royce trading as Aero Engine Controls. Not sure but I think Rolls Royce relocated to Birmingham Business Park in about 2016 and buildings demolished and site used for housing. Hope this is of interest.

1708965603393.png 1708965644964.png

Last edited:
Back