• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Darwood, W.

theodore

master brummie
Seeking info for a William Darwood (Sarah Ann, wife) to be living at 395 Farm Street, Hockley around 1903/4. Any help would be much appreciated.

Peter

Seeking info for a William Darwood (Sarah Ann, wife) to be living at 395 Farm Street, Hockley around 1903/4. Any help would be much appreciated.

Peter
are you looking to go forward from that date or backwards

lyn

William Darwood born 1857 to James Darwood and Emma nee Cartwright
William Darwood registered with second name James which he never uses on record.
married Sarah Ann Crook in 1878

1861 Aston road Duddeston age 4 with parents james and Emma and sister Betty age 1.

1871 Tindal street
James and Emma Darwood with children
William 14
Betsy 11
John 8
Thomas 6
Eliza 3
Mary 1 month

1881 Icknield Port road
William age 24
Sarah a 23
William 2
Maria 1 month

1891 Ledsam street
George ? Darwood 34
Sarah A 33
William 13
Maria 11
Rose 6
James 4
Arthur 1 month

1901 Heaton Street
William 42
sarah ann 41
Rose 17
James 13
Arthur 10
Florence 7
Mary 5

William Darwood died in 1907 age 49.

1911 Sarah ann in Heaton street with daughters Florence 17 and Mary age 14
Sarah Ann Darwood died in 1915.

Sorry no record of Farm street but hope this answers some of your family questions.

Last edited:
Hi Alberta,

Thank you for the info. I had looked at 81, 91 and 01 census (also 1911 for Sarah & daughters) and believed them to be for the Derwood's I was looking for (although 91 with George ? but this must be an error). My reason for asking about 395 Farm St. around 1903/4 would confirm for me that they are the Darwood family I require.

Lyn
forward or backwards but within 2 years either way..

Peter

Hi Alberta,

Thank you for the info. I had looked at 81, 91 and 01 census (also 1911 for Sarah & daughters) and believed them to be for the Derwood's I was looking for (although 91 with George ? but this must be an error). My reason for asking about 395 Farm St. around 1903/4 would confirm for me that they are the Darwood family I require.

Lyn
forward or backwards but within 2 years either way..

Peter
hi peter could i ask what makes you think farm st....do you have any evidence to back this up....also a few years later i know but have you checked the 1921 census

lyn

Have you tried finding the Farm Street address on 1901 and 1911 censuses and seeing who lives there?

Last edited:
Kellys for 1904 lists William Brown, hairdresser, but that is likely to be the ground floor

With a fairly uncommon name if other details match (name and age etc) what makes you doubt that this person is not a son (?) of William and Sarah?

Have checked census entries and back houses and courts around 395 Farm street, no Darwoods found

1901 395 farm street
James Williams age 23 ,butcher
Ann 29
Annie 11 months

1911 395 farm street
Henry white
Margaret , wife
George Henry 20
John 18
Amy 15
Kate 13.

Thank you one and all for your help.

I had checked 1901 and 1911census also 1921 before posting this request. I am 90% certain I have the right Darwood family but proof of them living at 395 Farm St. in 1903 would make it 100%.

Peter

Alberta. I was confused as well but it is most likely the son of William and Sarah. Also called William and aged 13 on 1891 census.

Wonder if there a next of kin on the papers?

Last edited:
A bit off topic but still involves Darwood.
It shows how people can be lead astray by a tiny error.
In the 1891 census I posted above William shown as George and Sarah have a daughter Maria age 11
I have viewed about 8 public family trees all of which have a printed 1891 census that I believe maybe from a genealogy site similar to Ancestry on this the address is the same the other names are the same but strangely Maria is David ,although listed as daughter,on the original the writing isn't perfect but no way it is David.

Albert,
Post 6, service papers for son James, Address 395 Farm Street (James had resided for the last 12 months from 22nd October 1903 (when he enlisted) at this address). Next of kin given was his father William also at this address. Enlisted in the 6th Bn. Worcestershire Regiment (Militia). Served during WW1 (Worcesters) awarded M.M. and D.C.M.

Peter

Back