• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Darwin Street

E A A

Brummie babby
Does anyone remember the corner shop at Darwin Street? We lived there for a couple of years from 1951. Thor Hammer had a factory at the end by the Park and Chandos Road.
We had a wonderful street party for our Queen's Coronation.

Does anyone remember the corner shop at Darwin Street? We lived there for a couple of years from 1951. Thor Hammer had a factory at the end by the Park and Chandos Road.
We had a wonderful street party for our Queen's Coronation.
Hi yes i remember the corner store on Darwin st if it was the same one it was number 11. There was a lampost outside that my brother Alan and me Gerald used to climb.My mom Olive owned the shop and he mother Rachel and her ran it mid fiftys. Opposite was a factory that melted down ww2 aircraft and made silver foil and stamped metal banjos. Every 5th of november mom would put all the fireworks not sold out in the communal back yard for the neibors big bonfire. Remember the brick wash house .Anyone with pics of the area including the shop or factory i would love to see them thanks gerry

Some Darwin Street photos in Highgate.

Reeces Cycles PLC close to Alcester Street.

Highgate International Mini Market - used to be The Peacock. On the corner with Dymoke Street.

Samuel Heath & Sons PLC on the corner of Stanhope Street.

Does anyone know the name of the Public House that was number 46 Darwin Street in the 1881 Census?

Edit: 1858/B. Grove, Darwin Tavern, 46 Darwin street/../../Dix Directory, Possibly this name continued through to 1881?

Last edited:
Hi yes i remember the corner store on Darwin st if it was the same one it was number 11. There was a lampost outside that my brother Alan and me Gerald used to climb.My mom Olive owned the shop and he mother Rachel and her ran it mid fiftys. Opposite was a factory that melted down ww2 aircraft and made silver foil and stamped metal banjos. Every 5th of november mom would put all the fireworks not sold out in the communal back yard for the neibors big bonfire. Remember the brick wash house .Anyone with pics of the area including the shop or factory i would love to see them thanks gerry
Would anyone have and record of the thrupp family on darwin street???

Doing some bits around my family history. My grandad was 'given a pub called the Royal Oak on Lower Darwin Street as it was (believe it was an M&B pub) before he was moved in 1933 to manage the Roebuck Inn on Upper Darwin Street.

Back