• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Daniel O'Connell HOGAN, Born 10/11/1840, Birmingham

TC3

proper brummie kid
Daniel O'Connell HOGAN was born as above and baptised on 06/12/1840. His parents were James and Bridget HOGAN (nee Bunnington?/Cunningham).and he was youngest of 5 living children (1841 Census), Susannah born 1830, John 1833, Elizabeth 1834 and Thomas 1837.

One aspect of his life for which there is ample evidence is that he was sentenced at Birmingham to 15 months penal servitude on 14/04/1856, part of which was spent at Parkhurst Prison. He was discharged from there on 13/07/1857.

I can find no further trace of the gentleman. Can anyone help please???

Please Note:
There are several Public Member Trees available which are NOT applicable.

Thank you for your help

BAC3

Had a look for him but like yourself could see nothing after his crime. There were a couple f deaths with the right age but seem unlikely. Looked at a couple siblings but could see no clue there.

Possibilities but as we know difficult to resolve this early. Some sort of clue is needed to point you in the right direction, an odd relative turning up with family is one I look for.

Even moving to a different part of the country and dying before the next census can mean a dead end sadly.

looking at his name and that of his mom maybe an irish connection...just a thought that if there was maybe he went to ireland if he had family there

lyn

Last edited:
Daniel O'Connell HOGAN was born as above and baptised on 06/12/1840. His parents were James and Bridget HOGAN (nee Bunnington?/Cunningham).and he was youngest of 5 living children (1841 Census), Susannah born 1830, John 1833, Elizabeth 1834 and Thomas 1837.

One aspect of his life for which there is ample evidence is that he was sentenced at Birmingham to 15 months penal servitude on 14/04/1856, part of which was spent at Parkhurst Prison. He was discharged from there on 13/07/1857.

I can find no further trace of the gentleman. Can anyone help please???

Please Note: There are several Public Member Trees available which are NOT applicable.

Thank you for your help

BAC3
Hello, I have just read the above. This young lad has been giving me the run around as well!!! However, I have not seen the "O'Connell" middle name before....or the reference to his Mothers maiden name. Could you please let me know how you came by these bits please? TIA

Good Evening TIA,

The information quoted in my original post, including the middle name "O'Connell", was provided by a subscriber to another reputable genealogical website having researched I understand St. Chad's Roman Catholic Church records.

I have fully documented his criminal aspect, for which I am quite happy to send details should you wish.

For the moment,

TC3 ex BAC3

Good Afternoon TC3,

Many thanks for your reply!!

I have seen the record from St Chad's RC Church. The reason I have "excluded" it for now is that none of his siblings appear to have been Christened, which struck me as odd. Also, apart from his brother Thomas, none have middle names either. Thomas's does not appear to be a Family name either, and "O'Connell" I would say is one.

I have seen the Criminal Register stating that he was admitted to Parkhurst Prison, Isle of Wight, on 28 February 1856. If you have any further to add to this that would be great.

TIA

Hello TIA,

The details I was given regarding his siblings are reproduced below in chronological order:

Isaac born 17/06/1828 baptised 22/06/1828
Susanna born 24/06/1830 baptised 11/07/1830
John: No information.
Elizabeth born 23/10/1834 baptised 02/11/1834
Thomas born 24/10/1837 baptised 13/11/1837
Daniel born 10/11/1840 baptised 06/12/1840

The GRO indicated there were three other children, all early deaths:

Michael born 08/08/1842 baptised 17/08/1842.........Died in 1846
Robert born 1844.......died in 1847
William born/died 1846

Daniel O'Connell HOGAN was sentenced at the Warwick (Birmingham) General Quarter Sessions on the 14/04/1856 to
15 months imprisonment for "feloniously breaking into the dwelling house of Thomas Ellis, and stealing gas fittings and other property". He had been remanded on 28/02/1856. He was held at Birmingham Gaol until 22/05/1856 when he was transferred to Parkhurst Prison where he remained to 13/07/1857, having completed his servitude. Apparently he had 4 summary convictions, details unknown.

I have no further information for him and am not able to confirm whether or not he re-offended.

I hope this is helpful

TC3

Hello TIA,

The details I was given regarding his siblings are reproduced below in chronological order:

Isaac born 17/06/1828 baptised 22/06/1828
Susanna born 24/06/1830 baptised 11/07/1830
John: No information.
Elizabeth born 23/10/1834 baptised 02/11/1834
Thomas born 24/10/1837 baptised 13/11/1837
Daniel born 10/11/1840 baptised 06/12/1840

The GRO indicated there were three other children, all early deaths:

Michael born 08/08/1842 baptised 17/08/1842.........Died in 1846
Robert born 1844.......died in 1847
William born/died 1846

Daniel O'Connell HOGAN was sentenced at the Warwick (Birmingham) General Quarter Sessions on the 14/04/1856 to
15 months imprisonment for "feloniously breaking into the dwelling house of Thomas Ellis, and stealing gas fittings and other property". He had been remanded on 28/02/1856. He was held at Birmingham Gaol until 22/05/1856 when he was transferred to Parkhurst Prison where he remained to 13/07/1857, having completed his servitude. Apparently he had 4 summary convictions, details unknown.

I have no further information for him and am not able to confirm whether or not he re-offended.

I hope this is helpful

TC3
Hello TC3,

Thank you for sharing all the information!! Most appreciated.

I did have Bridgets surname as being different, but I cannot find my notes from Roots Ireland at the minute to see why that would have been. The costs for that site seem to have gone up considerably since I last used it, so I will wait until I have more people to research before buying any credit with them. Please do not think I doubt anything that you have shared...I am just curious as to why/how I made that mistake!!

May I ask if you have any information on a James Whitehouse, born 1879 and died 12 August 1933? He is another elusive person!!

TIA

Hello TIA,

I hope the information was helpful. Do you have any details for him at all after 1857?

I'm sorry but James WHITEHOUSE is not familiar to me.

TC3

Hello TC3,

I am afraid that like you I keep hitting the proverbial brick wall with Daniel. Most frustrating. May I ask your connection to him? He is in my Family Tree hence my interest.

James Whitehouse is also a past relative, who appears to have had an interesting life story. I believe he was actually named Inchley before a brush with the law led to him leaving the country and renaming himself so he could come back.

I will keep researching Daniel and post if I have anything new to share.

TIA

Evening TIA,

My interest is purely academic. He is one of the 4,080 juvenile offenders who passed through Parkhurst Prison 1838-1864 and for whom I'm researching a PhD, analysing whether or not the prison was successful as a reformatory. My modus operandi is to create a biography for each and every one (if I can???)..........to date just under 2,000 have been completed but the results of my research are inconclusive.

However, on the plus side I have managed to help quite a few people trace ancestors, particularly from Australia and New Zealand.

Take care, good luck with your Family Tree and have a Merry Christmas.

TC3

Good Afternoon TC3

Your research must be fascinating!! What an interesting subject.... but to create a biography for each and everyone is a huge undertaking. I wonder...are your results inconclusive because of people such as Daniel??

I'm sure that you have helped many many Family Tree researchers...a huge bonus!! That is the only conclusion I have come to with Daniel...that he changed his name...whether to stay in this country or go abroad who knows? Is that where my other relative got the idea??

I wish you all the best with your PhD. Thank you so much for the time and help you've given to me.

You take care as well...have a Merry Christmas and Peaceful Prosperous New Year!!

TIA

Back