• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

dairy terrace price st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...i wonder if its possible to find a map showing dairy terrace price st please..just to confirm on a death cert from 1924 the address shows as no 2 dairy terrace price st...it looks like access to dairy terrace was via some sort of passage way in price street...

many thanks for any help..:)

lyn

Lyn
Below is a c1917-27 map of price st , with Dairy terrace (in red) and with Bath terrace marked named. I put in the other one as it came out while i looked for Dairy terrace and, like that, doesn't seem to be be marked on any map or in any directory. Dairy terrace was originally named court 6, and the terrace must contain houses on both sides of the central space as there are 9 houses listed in the 1920 electoral roll. It is not clear , however if all the buildings on the left hand side opened onto Dairy terrace, or possibly opened on the other side (into what was court 5)

map_c_1917-27_dairy_terrace2C_price_st.JPG

mikes this is fantastic...thanks you so much...had an idea that the entrance to the terrace was on that side of price st but could not be certain...mike is it possible to post the 1920 e roll please to see who was living at dairy terrace at that time..

many thanks....

lyn:)

Last edited:
Sure Lyn

666 0 O Leston, Minnie 1 Dairy terrace
667 R — Seston, Arthur 1 do.
668 R O Gallagher, James 2 do.
669 HO HO Gallagher, Rosanah 2 do.
670 R O Taylor, William 3 do.
671 HO HO Taylor Selina 3 do.
672 0 0 Gormley, Nellie 4 do.
673 R — Gormley, James 4 do.
674 R O Haldin, Nathan 6 do.
675 R 0 Matthews, Walter 7 do.
676 R — McNil, Patrick James 7 do.
677 R O Wootton, Ernest 8 do.
678 HO HO Wootton, Elsie 8 do.
679 R 0 Rogers, Henry 9 do.
680 HO HO Rogers, Jane 9 do.

681 R — Rogers, Charles Beresford 9 do.

thanks mike i think its gallagher family at num 2 we are looking for.. just one more thing....would the numbers have started closest to the entrance...

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn and Mike, thanks so much for the map and electoral roll. I could never work out where this terrace was..
Thanks again both. Lynne...

happy to help lynne but mike did all the work...i know this one has bothered you..all sorted now...i feel a trip down price st coming on now lol

lyn

good idea lynne..i may come with you it will be nice to get the feel of where your grandparents lived.....theres also a nice little pub nearby i know of..;)

lyn

Last edited:
This is m grrandfathers sister you have highlighted Lynne - Ernest and Elsie Wooton - my grandfather was Frederick Randell,the Randell family lived all around this area Lancaster Street,Price Street and Loveday street

regards
Mark

I just checked my notes my grandparents were listed as living 3 Dairy Terrace Price at the death of the daughter - if anyone has photos of families
living in this area at the time i would love to here from you all

Best wishes
Mark

this is brillient carolina...so far old pics of price st have eluded us...i wonder if this is the entrance to dairy and or bath terrace..need to see if we can see what that sign says and have a kellys look up....

oh if you should come accross any pics of paddington st or villas st i would be most grateful...was born in paddington st and to date i have not found one single pic...

lyn

Lyn
Below is a map of Price st labelled 1905 (though i don't think one can be certain about the exact date). If you look at it , there are only two places where there is a gap in the houses , such as is shown on the picture, both on the eastern side. The only position that I can see fits the picture is for the tunnel entrance in the centre of the buildings (where the women with the white apron is standing) to be the entrance to court 8 (court marked in blue). Dairy terrace is in red, so is just out of the picture. The enamelled signs would indicate a shop, but there is no shop listed there 1900-1905. However these might be old signs (indeed they look pretty rusty and thecurtains at the window indicate that it was then a private house), and there was a shoplisted at no 24 up to 1899, and 24 would be about the correct position (plus or minus one) for it.

mappricestc1905withdairyterraceandCt8.jpg

brillient deductions mike..i had a feeling that pic was so close to the entrace of dairy and bath terrraces...

thanks again mike...

lyn

Mike I too thought possibly a shop at one time judging by the large, lower window and very worn steps. I also wondered why on earth would they have so many signs for different brands of soap? Also there seems to be a board above the passageway where the women are standing. But can't make out any words on it. Interesting that the two middle houses have (Georgian?) external shutters on the windows for security. Another great photo. Viv.

viv i noticed that board too but i think its near impossible to make it out...

lyn

Hi Lyn. Here's an off the wall thought. You've mentioned Bath Terrace nearby. And there's a lot of soap signs above that door. Would that just be coincidence? Viv.

probably viv:D i guess all the soap adverts are just the same as having so many ads on one shop for different brands of ciggarettes etc..from what mike has said it does look like it was a shop at some time...

lyn

thanks carol i have those two..that is the closest ive come to a paddington st pic..shows just the two houses...i was born on the other side...if you look closely at the other pic there is a woman and young boy standing at the no 8 bus stop..i am 99.9 % sure that is our mom and my eldest brother...

thanks for looking...

lyn

Thanks Carol for the pic of Price Street, its great. I would think its the entry of Bath Terrace as, looking at Mikes map, Dairy Terrace had a wider opening. Still a brilliant pic though.

Price%20Street,6%20court%20(630x600).jpgso lucky to have this pic of dairy terrace also known as court 6 price st...lynne webb will be delighted..many thanks to mossg for this one...

Great pic, thanks Moss for posting it. My dad and his family lived at No.2 from about 1913 to 1937ish.I'm thrilled to bits, thanks again Moss.
Lynne.

Hello Lynne,thought i would contact you,you mentioned that your dad and his family lived at No2 Dairy Terrace from 1913 - 1937,My great grandparents family were Living 13 Court 7 House Lancaster Street,some of the sibblings died on Loveday Street which i think was the Hospital.
My dad was one of 18,his Parents were Frederick and Amy Randell at the time of their daughters Joans death on 22/12/1932 they had moved to no.3 Dairy Terrace so would have been neighbours of your dad and his family,they initially lived at 83 Lancaster Street.
Do you have any photos of your dads family that may include my grandparents and some of their family?
I know this is a bit of a long shot but there maybe people in the photos which may include my grandparents and whom you dont recognise?
Is any of your dads familt still alive?
They did not stay at Dairy Terrace long as their son Leslie was born in Acocks Green in 1934 so the family your father and his sibblings would have known are Frederick born 1926,Harry born 1928,Thomas born 1930 and Elsie born 1934,Elsie died in 1934,and another daughter Annie also died yound born 1927....There were several more children including my dad Horace born 1936 but most of them were born in Acocks Green,but my great grandparents stopped in Lancaster Street for some years after,

Hoping to here from you,Mark

Hello Mark, how nice to hear from someone else with a Dairy Terrace connection. Sorry I don't know any of the names and sadly all Dads family have gone now. I feel sure they would have known each other as there seems to be only 9 houses in the court. The only photo I have is of my grandmother, my dad and his two sisters which I think was taken outside No.2 but there's not enough background to tell
Lynne.

dairy_terrace_(1).jpglynne has asked me post this pic of her grandmother..her dad and his 2 younger sisters..taken in dairy terrace around 1921 her gran died in 1924..smashing photo lynne..

its a cracker lynne and i think the family resemblance is striking...i can see you vicky and kelly...

Back