• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

D day

• Thread starter Elizabeth Redmond
  • Start date
I find it amazing that this event, the biggest ever seaborne invasion that has happened, occuring as the free world sought to stop the evils of a dictatoriall regime, is totally denied by those in charge of the British Education system.

Politically Correct Propoganda is ok in Schools, History and the Truth is not. How sad.

Thankyou for the reminder Elizabeth. I remember the day well although I was not one of those brave lads.

Old Boy

I was a 15yr old lad working on my machine when it was announced on the factory tannoy that our troops had landed, loud cheering broke out and i think we all worked harder but were saddened by our thoughts of the wounded and those who would die, God bless them all. Len. :greatbritainflag:

Last edited:
I agree with all the above sentiments. What a debt we all owe! A National disgrace that our young people are so ignorant of events - especially when participants are still alive and indeed suffering from the effects. willey

Wholeheartedly agree, so much bravery for so little recognition!
That said, my son has been looking at WW1 and 2 in his history lessons and both he and another friend of his have had their interest sparked by British history. Owen loves visiting anywhere war related, especially the Staffords museum at Whittington Barracks, where the staff recognize him (mom and dad take him in the hols, he has a £1 pass and they travel free) and he loved the National Memorial Arboretum too, so there is some hope.
Our family has some war history too so that has been passed down to him, along with Dads national service memories.
Sue

I remember my dear old father "Ken West" in law who landed on gold beach with "48 Commando" and he said that they were sniped at from a big black and white fronted house, when they finally got in and killed the german sniper, his french girlfriend shot and wounded one of his comrades with a pistol she was hideing, so he shot her with his tommy gun. shame there is not an annual rememberence like 11th November.
paul

For those too young to remember.
British, Canadian and American forces were involved as were the Navies and Air Forces of all three. We should remember them all.

Back