• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cycle racing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiorails

master brummie
Sunday will see the climax of this world renowned three week race.
Two Britons - Thomas and Froome are presently first and third, respectively, and with no accidents either could win the race.
It has been a great race to watch and with the very hot conditions at present I have not felt guilty of watching the race most of the afternoon. ;) Generally the evenings are cooler which allows me to catch up with necessary jobs. Being close to the sea means that a breeze is often present and temperatures less than some other parts of England.

Alan, My husband and myself have been Le Tour fans for about 24 years now.
We have always watched on TV,much more coverage now than years ago.
For 21 days in July not much gets done in our house.
Even our dog born in July. 2012 was naturally named Bradley
Cheering for Geraint and Chris who although being treated badly by some 'so called cycling fans' have
battled on.

Some of the so called 'fans', I believe, are rather like some of those who go the The Balearic Islands not for sun, beach and holiday, but for other reasons. This is not restricted to Britons and has arisen since the upsurge in cycling.
The upsurge is great for most folk, we now are able to watch on tv the Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a Espagne plus the 'big' one Le Tour. I have followed Le Tour for over fifty years following it on French radio before it became popular here on tv.
I hear that Chris is to support Geraint today - not the other way around - well, that makes sense as Chris has really done an awful lot in the last twelve months and I guess is feeling it a wee bit.
Anyway I am hoping for a one and two podium place for them - no crashes permitting. :eek:

Some of the so called 'fans', I believe, are rather like some of those who go the The Balearic Islands not for sun, beach and holiday, but for other reasons. This is not restricted to Britons and has arisen since the upsurge in cycling.
The upsurge is great for most folk, we now are able to watch on tv the Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a Espagne plus the 'big' one Le Tour. I have followed Le Tour for over fifty years following it on French radio before it became popular here on tv.
I hear that Chris is to support Geraint today - not the other way around - well, that makes sense as Chris has really done an awful lot in the last twelve months and I guess is feeling it a wee bit.
Anyway I am hoping for a one and two podium place for them - no crashes permitting. :eek:
Barnstaple is getting orgasmic over the fact that it is going to be the finish for one of the stages for this years Tour of Britain, which incidentally will be going through the middle of South Molton market....I've done all the classic British Film comedy and sit com scenarios that could occur if it were to also be market day and knowing the West Country man as well as I do, he probably has not thought to just check that point out which could add to Frank Spencer being drafted into a team.....oooh Betty!
Bob

I live close to where the Vuelta comes through, lots of the same riders and been to watch several times. Great atmosphere but very little to actually see.

Well today is the day the fat lady sings. It has been a great Le Tour this year, lots of cliff hangers for those who follow Team Sky. Can't wait for La Vuelta. :D

_102749341_geraintthomaspodium.jpg

That's six out of the last seven Tours won by British cyclists. Fantastic achievement. And Geraint was supposed to be domestique for Chris on this year's Tour.

The only quibble I have with the TV presentation is they don't always keep us up-to-date of precisely where the riders are at any given time on the stages - I know France reasonably well, and like to follow progress on my map. Just a small niggle.

G

You can follow the progress on the Tour web site quite easily. They provide maps, locations of the various groups progress and also distance charts.
You can follow in English, French or German.
The location captions on the tv I find pretty good and as they show churches, castles, rivers and other prominent landmarks it is easy to relate and so avoid getting lost. ;)

Rather than start another thread I have amended the title of this one which I originated last year.
I wonder if anyone is following the Giro d'Italia this year? It commenced 11th. May and finishes 2nd. June. Today was Stage 9.
It can be seen on Freeview Channel Quest at 7pm and repeated at 8pm. Highlights only. I think Eurosport shows far more of the race.

I enjoy following every race on TV, pleased to see Adam Yates in Yellow on the Criterium du Dauphine,
Sadly Chris Froome crashed whilst riding before the time trial yesterday, hitting a brick wall at 54kms an hour, and was airlifted to hospital where he is in intensive care with fractures to leg, elbow,hip,& ribs.
Hope he recovers well, I for one will miss him in the Tour.

I watched the Giro (well some of it) but the presenters are not up to the standard of those that are in the Criterium and Le Tour ITV4 programmes - my opinion of course.
It was sad to hear what happened to Chris and it is a shame he will not be in Le Tour. Anyway he has proved his mettle last year I believe. Anyway there are some up and coming guys to follow.

Talk about the TDF does anyone know who this? He also was a BRUMMIE well almost right BISH

Attachments

• Twin tube frame 001.jpg
    Twin tube frame 001.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 9
Radiorails.have watched the TdeF since it first came on the telly.But to me the commentators often gabble on about nothing over the last few years.Have driven over some of the routes in France .Such lovely scenery especially in the Alps .

I think this is the guy you are asking about, OldBrit. It makes interesting reading.

I suspect some thought the TdeF has nothing to do with Brum, but you see it has! :D
View attachment 134996
Chas Holland born in Aldridge Staffordshire. But belonged to the Midland C&AC that I and John Bishop do. A great book to read "Dancing uphill" well worth a read. (Amazon had the book) Details his TDF 1937 Almost alone with no team support, John Crump

The good lady says better get stocked up with food & drink we ain't going nowhere for 3 weeks:):)

Did you all know that me JOHN CRUMP that I rode in the TDF? John Bishop did you ride the TDF??? Check out my saddle bag HaHa!!!

Attachments

• 64260559_1857640427669318_1171500918949019648_n.png
    64260559_1857640427669318_1171500918949019648_n.png
    243 KB · Views: 22
Actually Le Tour is presently in The Vosges Mountains. Then Le Tour goes through central southern France to the SW Pyrenees.(18 July). They will arrive at the Alps on the 25th.
Now, your folk in the West Midlands should be cheering on Dan Martin. Whilst now a Irish rider, he was born in Birmingham and grew up in Tamworth.
I am following two riders, in the absence of Chris Froome, and they are Julian Alaphillipe and Geraint Thomas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back