• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cycle racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the guy you are asking about, OldBrit. It makes interesting reading.

I suspect some thought the TdeF has nothing to do with Brum, but you see it has! :D
View attachment 134996
Chas Holland born in Aldridge Staffordshire. But belonged to the Midland C&AC that I and John Bishop do. A great book to read "Dancing uphill" well worth a read. (Amazon had the book) Details his TDF 1937 Almost alone with no team support, John Crump

The good lady says better get stocked up with food & drink we ain't going nowhere for 3 weeks:):)

Did you all know that me JOHN CRUMP that I rode in the TDF? John Bishop did you ride the TDF??? Check out my saddle bag HaHa!!!

Attachments

• 64260559_1857640427669318_1171500918949019648_n.png
    64260559_1857640427669318_1171500918949019648_n.png
    243 KB · Views: 22
Actually Le Tour is presently in The Vosges Mountains. Then Le Tour goes through central southern France to the SW Pyrenees.(18 July). They will arrive at the Alps on the 25th.
Now, your folk in the West Midlands should be cheering on Dan Martin. Whilst now a Irish rider, he was born in Birmingham and grew up in Tamworth.
I am following two riders, in the absence of Chris Froome, and they are Julian Alaphillipe and Geraint Thomas.

Last edited:
Surrey hosts again the arrival of hundreds of cyclists on Sunday 4th August for both amateur, charity-raising, cyclists and (separately) professionals. The latter is usually shown on television and known as the Prudential Ride London/Surrey Classic Race. Highlights are ascents up Leith Hill and Box Hill. Surrey has been a centre for cycling since the 2012 Olympic Games. Dave.

The two riders I mentioned in a previous post (30) are living up to my hopes. Currently Nos. 1 and 2 in the General Classification. I am also delighted that France is making good progress in what is, after all, its showcase sport.
I read the other day that Russia does not consider cycling a sport. No prizes what I guess. However someone should remind them that cycling is an older sport than many currently to be seen in the Olympic Games!!

The French seem to be reclaiming their race this year. It's turning into the Alaphillipe and Pinot show!
Yes but don't write off Thomas, just yet. ;)Anyway, the race is, as usual for those interested, quite exciting.
The last ten days usually sorts out the best - and fittest.
Today being a rest day for the Tour and the sun hiding away here - although it is still 22C - it is a day to get some outdoor work done.

Don't worry Geraint will come back,it was a bit of a mix up yesterday but he still pulled back a good few seconds on Alaphillipe.The next 5days it will all happen

Sorry to all us Brits, BUT Viva LaFrance, Pinot or Alaphillipe WILL win. The Welshman will not even make the podium this year. All this cause by Froome blowing his nose on a training ride!!!! By the way, Sir Brailsford asked me to help out, but I am just not in shape this year HaHa!!. By the way, this subject is on topic Dan MARTIN IS A 100% BRUMMIE

Attachments

• 06 Bates BAR Elphant rock 001.jpg
    06 Bates BAR Elphant rock 001.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Unfortunately, Old Brit, Pinot will not be on the podium in Paris. Sadly he seems to have some problems with a leg. He tried to soldier on but at 14.00 (13.00 hours UTC) he regrettably abandoned the race. Bad news for him, his team FDJ and of course France.

Update at 14.46 (13.46UTC) - apparently French tv reports that it is a torn muscle on his left thigh!

The race was stopped later due to a severe hailstorm made it far too dangerous for the cyclists.

Last edited:
At the start of today's stage Dan Martin was in 15th. Place. Good really, and he has been seen quite a few times during the Tour.

Update; Dan made 18th. place in the final run up to Paris.

Last edited:
Stage win for Nibali.
Tour winner (providing he actually gets to the finish in Paris ;)) is Egon Bernal (Ineos) and second, (with the above proviso) is Geraint Thomas (Ineos). Great day for Ineos (formerly SKy) and I bet Chris Froome is celebrating as well.
Steven Kruijswijk (Jumbo-Visma) makes third podium place.

Disappointing for Julian Allaphillipe, (DQT) who ranks 5th. place after having held the yellow jersey for many days. However a very respectable achievement and pleasing for France.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back