• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crossroads programme

Haven't watched soap operas since the Newcomers finished. Vaguely remember a play at the rep with Noel Gordon and Polly James (James was a pro compared to Gordon) . I once did the tour of Pebble Mill where the official highlight was a demo of the work of the sound effects doing a bit for the Archers.

I was lucky enough to go around the Crossroads set and also the Golden Shot set when ATV used to be in Bridge St, quite interesting and to see how some viewers are so gullible to believe the motel actually exists , trying to make reservations by post

I believe some of the outside scenes around the motel were filmed in Tanworth in Arden, and the garage scenes were filmed in Tanworth in Arden garage, is this true, and if so any pictures.

I believe some of the outside scenes around the motel were filmed in Tanworth in Arden, and the garage scenes were filmed in Tanworth in Arden garage, is this true, and if so any pictures.

I cannot comment on the garage scenes , but I'm led to believe the exteriors for the motel was the Fair Lawns hotel

In the early days an agricultural college in shropshire was used as the motel but when the 'Motel' was almost destroyed by a fire the new Crossroads was filmed at Penns Hall in Penns Lane Sutton.
Out side scenes were in Tanworth in Arden.
I used the 56 bus from City to Washwood Heath and often saw the cast coming out of what I think was a community hall in Melvina Road,Nechells, I always presumed they rehearsed there.

When i lived in Hodge Hill, Reg Watson used to live in a houses over looking hodge hill common (the small common) and Noel Gordon was a regular visitor. Also not related but the goalkeeper Gil Merrick lived at the end house, at the end of Stechford Road, close to Hunters Moon

When i lived in Hodge Hill, Reg Watson used to live in a houses over looking hodge hill common (the small common) and Noel Gordon was a regular visitor. Also not related but the goalkeeper Gil Merrick lived at the end house, at the end of Stechford Road, close to Hunters Moon
When we were first married and moved into a flat in Park Avenue, Handsworth, we were told that Noelle Gordon and Reg Watson lived somewhere near us. Never saw them or knew if it was true. That was 1959 to 1962

Bob

Further to all the nostalgia about ATV's "Crossroads". My Co-director back in the day was actor Jack Woolgar, who played "Carney" the night watchman/caretaker/etc, in "Crossroads".

When we were first married and moved into a flat in Park Avenue, Handsworth, we were told that Noelle Gordon and Reg Watson lived somewhere near us. Never saw them or knew if it was true. That was 1959 to 1962

Bob
She built a luxury apartment at 12 Handsworth Wood Road, Birmingham.

She built a luxury apartment at 12 Handsworth Wood Road, Birmingham.

My parent's house was just round the corner, I wouldn't call it a luxury flat!
It was built onto the side of a row of Victorian terrace houses, a two story annex, she lived on one floor and her mother on the other - building is still there, it's not very big.

I think she just used it when filming in the studios in Brum as she also had a nice house in the country somewhere (maybe Droitwich, I can't recall now).

Bob

I thought before she tried to get a flat in either Cleveland or Clydesdale towers bottom of Holloway Head , she lived in a rather large house on Church Road Handsworth . Miss Gordon raised a bit of a furore in her bid to get a flat in the towers named , I'm led to believe that she ended up in Stephenson Tower as was by New St Station

I remember a friend of mine having a few cross words with Noelle Gorden when she was driving her Rolls Royce in New John St West one day, apparently she believed she should have the right of way whilst overtaking parked cars and he didn't.

Nickcc101 To be completely honest I wouldn't have given Miss Gordon the time of day , I bet given the opportunity she could have been a nasty piece of work , that by the way is taking into account all her airs and graces

Zeph Gladstone, who played Vera Downend, turned up in an episode of Public Eye (I was given the set of DVDs recently). I recognised her and her name in the credits, but can't remember anything about the character.
Vera is one of those old-fashioned names that hasn't come around again yet. We have an Enid and a Mabel in our road.

I remember a friend of mine having a few cross words with Noelle Gorden when she was driving her Rolls Royce in New John St West one day, apparently she believed she should have the right of way whilst overtaking parked cars and he didn't.

wonder what she was doing in NJSW..unless she had been to see amy turtle (ann george) sing in the woodman pub just round the corner in well street...

lyn

Back in the 70,s I was in the pool deck bar in the holiday inn with my boyfriend having a drink and in walks Amy turtle with her new husband who I think she just married ,well I was so excited I had seen her but looking back now you have to laugh she was famous back then and it's the only famous person I ever met SINCE!!!!!

Back in the 70,s I was in the pool deck bar in the holiday inn with my boyfriend having a drink and in walks Amy turtle with her new husband who I think she just married ,well I was so excited I had seen her but looking back now you have to laugh she was famous back then and it's the only famous person I ever met SINCE!!!!!

Sugar people I have met in different hotels in town in the bars actors Paul Daneman Kate O'Mara Michael Denison and his wife Dulcie Gray , funny thing was I asked Paul Daneman and Kate O'Mara for their autographs . I mentioned to Daneman that I knew his face but couldn't remember his name , whereupon he said to Miss O'Mara "these people ask for your autographs and they don't know who you are " which I thought was nice considering people like me are paying your wages while your onstage. The only other one I've been in close proximity of was Francis Matthews one Saturday afternoon in The Longboat he was surrounded by his acting fraternity

Sugar people I have met in different hotels in town in the bars actors Paul Daneman Kate O'Mara Michael Denison and his wife Dulcie Gray , funny thing was I asked Paul Daneman and Kate O'Mara for their autographs . I mentioned to Daneman that I knew his face but couldn't remember his name , whereupon he said to Miss O'Mara "these people ask for your autographs and they don't know who you are " which I thought was nice considering people like me are paying your wages while your onstage. The only other one I've been in close proximity of was Francis Matthews one Saturday afternoon in The Longboat he was surrounded by his acting fraternity

never mind john..cant win them all.. bit off topic here but .i wont tell you what oliver hardy said to our dad when he bumped into him and stan laurel in the bartons arms :rolleyes:

A chap I worked with in America told me that he played a character called Colin Warboys (?) in Crossroads, which I only ever watched to take the mickey out of the terrible acting and rickety scenery. I was impressed, until I accidentally discovered that the character Warboys (?) was in only one episode.....not quite fame, then.

It was my Uncle, Paul Hodgkinson, who played Colin Worboys in Crossroads in about 1964, he also starred in the Newcomers.

Back