• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cross Keys Inn, Station Road, Erdington

florence butler

master brummie
Hello there,

Does anyone have connections with the Butler family who owned the Cross Keys Inn between c.1867 to 1892?

Also William and Sarah Butler, Park Road & Frederick Road, Aston c.1881 to 1905.

Thank you, Florence

Alf Rogers

master brummie
The Cross Keys must have at one time been remodelled/rebuilt. This postcard (sorry no date) shows a very different frontage to the later pub. (Second photo that I posted on the Sign Service Erdington thread).

Viv.

View attachment 145158

View attachment 145159
I've seen the modern image a number of times, but the date is wrong. The car waiting at the junction is a Hillman Hunter, which wasn't launched in the UK till 1966, so the photo must have been taken 1066 onwards

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s wishful thinking a clapped-out pub. I wonder if the planners have given it change of use.

pjmburns

master brummie
According to an article in the Birmingham Mail Saturday 17th April 2021 :

Last orders were called in 2017 and the property was previously marketed for £550,000 but the agents, Mason Young Property Consultants confirmed there had been no demand to reopen it up as a drinking spot, and the only interest had come from developers either wanting to bulldoze it or convert it for housing.
An application to turn it into a hostel was registered with Birmingham City Council last June but on Monday (April 12), the shell was back on the market with Online Property Agent.

I did a quick look on planning applications but nothing seemed to be there other than the outstanding application for a hostel..

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I remember seeing a map dated 1820 and the pub was there then. The map concerned the parish church which I think was completed in 1824. I wondered whether the road being turnpiked had any bearing on this pub being built but I have a note as follows:

A Turnpike Act was passed in from Birmingham in respect of the Chester Road, but it was not until 1807 that a similar act was passed covering the road from Birmingham through Erdington Village. This was on the route from Bristol to the North of England.

As the Cross Keys was very near to the centre of Erdington village it was probably there long before this. Very sad if it goes the way of many other old pubs in Erdington.

Tinpot

master brummie
I remember seeing a map dated 1820 and the pub was there then. The map concerned the parish church which I think was completed in 1824. I wondered whether the road being turnpiked had any bearing on this pub being built but I have a note as follows:

A Turnpike Act was passed in from Birmingham in respect of the Chester Road, but it was not until 1807 that a similar act was passed covering the road from Birmingham through Erdington Village. This was on the route from Bristol to the North of England.

As the Cross Keys was very near to the centre of Erdington village it was probably there long before this. Very sad if it goes the way of many other old pubs in Erdington.
I have always understood that pubs named the Cross Keys are usually to be found next to/nearby churches.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I have always understood that pubs named the Cross Keys are usually to be found next to/nearby churches.
Tinpot, I thought that too but despite being next to the Abbey church it apparently pre-dates it. I referred to Google to see if I could find anything out and this came up:

CROSS KEYS (22) Crossed keys are the symbols of St Peter, the apostle of Jesus who traditionally guards the gates of Heaven. ... This sign is a symbol of English nationalism and grew popular as a pub name after the English Civil War in the 17th century.

I shall be going to the library in Sutton as soon as it's open and I'll see if there are any older maps to look at. I'll add the Cross Keys to my list.