• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

creed building Handsworth

janet mary

Janmary
Hi all! Have come across this when researching family tree. There is no street mentioned, but nearby are "Nineveh" (I assume Nineveh St) and "Soho Building".
Has anyone got a clue as to what these buildings might be? The children of the family were there without their parents, and I wonder if they were maybe workhouses?
Thanks!
Jan

Jan

See the following entry:
1880 kellys
Matthews Charles, dairyman, Creed's buildngs. Victoria road, Handsworth

If you then look at the 1889 OS map, (https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55192&sheetid=10080&ox=1685&oy=2954&zm=1&czm=1&x=159&y=293 ) , you see that Creed’s buildings was an area just below what was then Victoria road (leading off nineveh road). and just above what is now Winson Green station. It has disappeared by the 1913 OS map and is occupied by residential roads.
Can’t find Soho building though

Mike

Many thanks Mike! So, I assume these were just dwellings? I shall check out the site you mention.
Much appreciated.
Jan:)

I'm not sure exactly what they were, but, as you can see fro the map, it seems to be marked in large letters as an area. It does seem as if there might have been a wall surrounding it (?). but in an earlier staffs directory there is a beer retailer listed there also. Seems a bit peculiar that there seems no further reference when you google it.
Mike

Back