• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crawford street Saltley

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Does ANY MEMBER ON THE Forum Have Any Memoris Of Crawford Street
Down By The Viaduct from the early years When The Houses Was Back
Was Back To Back , I Was Down There Some Weeks Ago And I Thought Oh My God And I Started To Think About The Days Gone By In Crawford Street ,
And I Started To Recall Some Old Families That Was Down There , At That Time In The Fifties The Cunninghams, The Whills And The Black burn Families ,And Recalling The Type Of The Old Houses , But Now I Was Very Disturbed To See The Road Is All Scrap Yards One After The Other FromOne End To The Other .Why Did The Council Allow That To Happen , I Say Get Rid Of Each And Every one And Build Houses Its A Total Disgrace ,

Astonian,

My first memories of Crawford St would be going to the Council public works depot there to collect my daily mail boots. My next would be a little later in life having a couple of pints in the Gas House Tavern.

The last time I was down there was in the early seventies and the Gas House was still standing, but it was part of a scrap yard. I think it was in the mid seventies they demolished all the houses and it has been the same ever since.

Phil

HI GUYS PMC ,AND POSTIE
Many thanks For Your Memoris You Have Given MePmc ,And A Big Thanks To You Postie For The Pictures Of Crawford Street As I Remember Them When I Used To Visted Them In The Fifties , PMC What I Cannot Understand Is Why Did They Left Crawford St
Unattended And Every Fiftie Yards Walking They Are Scrap Yards Why Not Start Building New Houses If YouTry And Walk Along Craford Street Now There s All Scrap
Bits And Bobs Strewn Across The Road Its Inpossible ToWalk Down There
PMC Is The Three A,s Pub Still On The Corner Of Ash Rd ,Thats Been There For Years , Ain,t IT,?.And If You Walk Or Drve DownLandor St Thats Slowly Becomng A Full Lengh Scrap Yard Once AgainLads Thanks For The Memory, ASTONIAN ,;;;

Astonian

Basically I think the Council leave them where they are because they have no where else to put them. If they move them out with nowhere to go they are in effect putting them out of business. Open yards are very hard to find as no commercial property owner wants to lease a piece of land that they can build a factory unit on and get upwards of five times the rent than they would on an open yard.

Phil

I used to go to 'Crown Mission" and I had a few friends from Crawford St, this would have been late 50s early 60s - Henman. Peacock. Edwards Morris. And as my mum used to live there as a child, she also knew many of their parents.

A bit late on this thread, but forgive me I'm new to this Forum!

I remember visiting my Gt Grandparents Henry & Dorothy Bradley (nee Myatt) at no 9 Crawford St, must have been in about 1961 as he died that year and she in '62.

Photos attached are out front of No9, and out back of No9.

My other Gt Grandparents were the Osborne's, theView attachment 69220y had a shop near the rail bridge the other side of the Viaduct from Crawford St, photo from early '60's while it still existed founView attachment 69219d in a cupboard clear out!

Would be great to hear of any memories of these families or find more photos of the area.

Regards

JohnView attachment 69218

Hello John Welcome to the forum nice photos I was a regular at the Station and played in their darts team until it closed the photo i would say was mid 50s as that looks like the new Little Hall Rd which replaced Gt. Francis St and no sign yet of the latter Melvina Rd yet to be laid. Dek

Hi Dek,
Thanx for a quick reply to this.
Really got hooked on this stuff now, my Bradley Grandparents had 4 Sons, at least 2 worked within the Brum Public Works Dept as did Henry. Later my Grandfather Bill was at the Gas Works.
I'm just amazed at just how interactive the community was in those days, it seems they all married people from the same or at least a street not too far away!

I'll be visiting more often!

Keep those arrows sharp!

R

John

Hi John I remember Crawford St quite well although I knew no one who lived there Did they ever mention Saltley canal basin they had a lot of canal people that used the pubs in Crawford St and worked on Barge building. Can,t see the board these days let alone throw me arrows.Dek

Hi Dek,

Sorry to hear that, spose that rules out the Dommies as a fall back then!
According to my Mum, there is history of Canal Folk in the Bradley line, and yet other than seeing one statement in the Census of being a 'Bargeman', (I need to check where/who as I can't recall who it was against), I haven't yet found it! Also, that one of Grandad Bill's Brothers did some digging and said they were originally out of Ireland.
He was a bit of a joker, so as I aint found any sign of that, I think it was a jokey moment.
But the family and those they married into were all in the Saltley, Duddeston, Ashted areas. Familiy connections to Ransford, Myatt, Powell, Carter, Allen, Rowe, Osborne, Barker and more!
Here's a photo of Gt Grandma Osborne out front of that shop at 82 Saltley Rd, reckon between 1910 & 15 according to Mum (again), it seems her Mother 'removed' the one side as she was stood next to her Mum aged around 9 or 10, and she didn't like the photo!
They had a family of 6 daughters (expensive marrying them orf!), wonder if the Rail line next door caused a lack of male children!!

Keep well,

JView attachment 69246

I used to go to 'Crown Mission" and I had a few friends from Crawford St, this would have been late 50s early 60s - Henman. Peacock. Edwards Morris. And as my mum used to live there as a child, she also knew many of their parents.

I use to take the occasional service at the Crown Mission in 1986/7. There were just a few adults and children, but they always made me feel welcome. It was all alone amidst the Scrap Yards back then. I see that it has gone now. Not seen a photo of it.

Is this photo of Crawford street, house numbers 1 to 16 is it the true street? any one recognize it can a street map plan be matched to the pic?

Crawford st 1.jpg

Yes that's Crawford street and the drive of the cobbled street is going I to the British water ways offices
And along side the canal and its all to do with British canal aurthortity I just cannot recall the official name
And an old friend of mine was the Blackburn family in the fiftys best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Below is a map c 1889. It shows that there were 4 houses in the first block as in the photo. Then, on the photo, though resolution is poor, there looks as if there is an entry after the first 9 houses of the second block , as is shown on the map. so I would say it fits well with being nos 1-16. Crawford road. Incidentally no 4 Crawford st , in 1921, was Mrs Beatrice Proudlock, shopkeeper, which would fit with the shop in the picture. no 20, which I think is the one at the far end with a lamp and a wagon outside was, in 1921 Henry Alexander , beer retailer, which would fit with the lamp.

map_c_1889_north_end_Crawford_st__where_low_numbers_were.jpg

Yes that's Crawford street and the drive of the cobbled street is going I to the British water ways offices
And along side the canal and its all to do with British canal aurthortity I just cannot recall the official name
And an old friend of mine was the Blackburn family in the fiftys best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

Thanks Astonian for your reply and info, as I do read your reply's to this forum with interest.

No. the Gas house Tavern, previously the Shakespeare, was at no 35, round the corner.

Pudding

Just as a matter of interest, these are the rears of the same houses after they were renovated in 1905. By the way if you ever come across a photo of the Gas House then I wouldn't mind a copy for my collection I've been after one for years.

Attachments

• Saltley Crawford St 2.jpg
    Saltley Crawford St 2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 64
mike

I have just accessed the electoral role for 1930 and you say that the gas house was previously the shakespeare but it gives both the gas house at no35 crawford street and the shakespeare inn at 19/20 crawford street or have i got it wrong?

phil

No you are not wrong Philbee. I was incorrect. I was quoting a post from a much earlier time by someone else, which I had recorded, and did not check to make sure it was correct. Ought to have known better. As you say the shakespeare is l;isted in 1930 and 1935 as at 19/20 Crawford st

I was suprised how populated crawford street was from the photos on this thread ,when we used the gas house in the 70s as a dinner time retreat from the gas there was not any houses or very few and a scrap yard, where would the shakespeare inn have been as neither the gas house or the shakespeare are shown on my 1905 ordnance survey map i presume they were built later?

phil

Phil
The maps did not mark all the pubs as pubs. Those with a beerhouse licence were usually not marked (in cities at least), and many of the full licence pubs were not marked either. this is true in some cases even on the large scale town plan maps. The map c 1902 below shows no 20 (shakespeare) in red, and 35 in blue . No 36 was a beer retailer then, though not in the same building, as the building is shown more laid back from the road and a different shape in 1934. I can only confirm that no 25 was definitely called the Gas house from 1930, though think it probably always had that name.

map_c1902_Crawford_st_showing_nos_20_and_35.jpg

Thanks for the info mike the amount of families living in that area was astounding my uncle and his family lived in clayton road which was the other side of saltley viaduct , when we used to visit him when i was a child it was a short row of houses but when i look at the maps of the area it was very populated so there must have been a lot demolition and rehousing and its amazing how many houses there were in that small area!

phil

HI GUYS PMC ,AND POSTIE
Many thanks For Your Memoris You Have Given MePmc ,And A Big Thanks To You Postie For The Pictures Of Crawford Street As I Remember Them When I Used To Visted Them In The Fifties , PMC What I Cannot Understand Is Why Did They Left Crawford St
Unattended And Every Fiftie Yards Walking They Are Scrap Yards Why Not Start Building New Houses If YouTry And Walk Along Craford Street Now There s All Scrap
Bits And Bobs Strewn Across The Road Its Inpossible ToWalk Down There
PMC Is The Three A,s Pub Still On The Corner Of Ash Rd ,Thats Been There For Years , Ain,t IT,?.And If You Walk Or Drve DownLandor St Thats Slowly Becomng A Full Lengh Scrap Yard Once AgainLads Thanks For The Memory, ASTONIAN ,;;;
My grandparents lived in Crawford st alf and edna sanders grandad used the London tavern

Only just pick this thread up as I was looking for the Shakespeare Tavern, Crawford St, re: Family Tree research. With regard to Isaac Ansell his Will read: Isaac Ansell of the 'Shakespeare' tavern Crawford Street, Saltley Birmingham. Beer retailer died 28th April 1899.

Hi GUYS,
Do we have a picture of the crawford arms on here please i can recall a couple of pubs along there on the main high street coming from crawford street towards the gate pub which i have got but not the shakespear on i did have a friend down crawford street wat back in the 1950s i recall the waterboard of the cannal offices and finances department for the cannal on the very corner years ago until the demolishing of crawford street that created all those scrap car deler along there through out the sixtys best wishes Astonian ;;;;

Back