• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crawford street Saltley

Sorry Alan, just done a search on "Crawford Arms" and it only gives your posting #17 as a result.

Checked the internet & plenty of that name up north, but none in the Midlands. Also checked the British Library Newspapers and nothing showed.

Maurice :)

Last edited:
Only just pick this thread up as I was looking for the Shakespeare Tavern, Crawford St, re: Family Tree research. With regard to Isaac Ansell his Will read: Isaac Ansell of the 'Shakespeare' tavern Crawford Street, Saltley Birmingham. Beer retailer died 28th April 1899.

Shirleymay,

It looks like your relation was a beer retailer at 20 Mill Lane the original name for Crawford Street as the Shakespeare Tavern was not then a fully licensed house and only able to sells beers, ales, and ciders and as such was never listed as a full public house until the late 30's when the licence must have been upgraded. It then seems to have disappeared in the early 40's possibly the effect of a bombing raid on the nearby gas works.

Shirleymay,

It looks like your relation was a beer retailer at 20 Mill Lane the original name for Crawford Street as the Shakespeare Tavern was not then a fully licensed house and only able to sells beers, ales, and ciders and as such was never listed as a full public house until the late 30's when the licence must have been upgraded. It then seems to have disappeared in the early 40's possibly the effect of a bombing raid on the nearby gas works.

I see a Gas House Pub referenced in this thread. Does anyone recognize the name Barry Hobbs (1938-2002)in connection with this pub? This is for research on family’s ancestry and any info at all would be much appreciated.

Only just pick this thread up as I was looking for the Shakespeare Tavern, Crawford St, re: Family Tree research. With regard to Isaac Ansell his Will read: Isaac Ansell of the 'Shakespeare' tavern Crawford Street, Saltley Birmingham. Beer retailer died 28th April 1899.
I, I believe that the pub on Crawford Street was called 'The Gas House'
Hi GUYS,
Do we have a picture of the crawford arms on here please i can recall a couple of pubs along there on the main high street coming from crawford street towards the gate pub which i have got but not the shakespear on i did have a friend down crawford street wat back in the 1950s i recall the waterboard of the cannal offices and finances department for the cannal on the very corner years ago until the demolishing of crawford street that created all those scrap car deler along there through out the sixtys best wishes Astonian ;;;;
Hi,
I lived in the back to backs in Crawford street during the early to mid 60's with my parents who are both still with us but in their 80's..

My great Grandparents lived at number 6 Crawford street in 1916 their son then moved to the the fox at walmley and then on to the monkey house in 1950's. cant find any more information about the family other than that tho.

Hi,
I lived in the back to backs in Crawford street during the early to mid 60's with my parents who are both still with us but in their 80's..
My family lived in 6/11 Crawford, but, moved way before your time. My Aunty ran Crown Mission on Crawford Street, until the 70's, I used to attend the Sunday School and Band of Hope on a Tuesday night.

Hello
I’ve just been looking up 17 Crawford street, my Grandparents lived there in 1937 when my dad was born. He was born at 77 Dudley Road, the hospital? Heading up today to visit family(for the second time) was hoping to visit the road, and appears this no longer exists
Would be nice to know more about this area, my dad moved away when he was 2.

Crawford Street still exists but no houses remain, just industrial units now,

Close to the gas works, railway and canal, it would have been a working class area. The city would have been expanding outwards for a good 20 years or so, houses improving though the houses on Crawford St look (from the maps) to be the same as they were in 1889. Adderley Park was not far away, there would be shops on the High St & Alum Rock Road and there would have been lots of pubs within walking distance.

There are a couple of photos of Saltley High St here, the pub (just visible) on the right was the London Tavern on the corner of Crawford St...

Hi,
My mom used to live in Crawford street 6/11, but, the family left in the 40's and moved to Ash Road. My Aunty ran Crown Mission and I attended there on Sundays for Sunday School and Tuesdays for The Temperence Society. I had quite a few friends that lived in Crawford St. and Cranby St. That would have been for the years 1957 thru' 1970.

Wow that’s amazing thankyou!
I’m not sure if any of the family stayed there after? However I have been told that there were family there, we have quite a big family and a lot still in Brum
Sad I can’t see it, see it! Staying in Sheldon area today and tomorrow! Then onto Dudley etc
My dad was baptised in January 1938 in the parish of saltley?

My family lived in 6/11 Crawford, but, moved way before your time. My Aunty ran Crown Mission on Crawford Street, until the 70's, I used to attend the Sunday School and Band of Hope on a Tuesday night.
Our family lived in Crawford Street. Up to 1968. Nan at number 40 & we was 6 back of 45.

Was your Aunty Mrs Stretton? "I to went to Crown Mission". We left Saltley in 1968.

My mom used to live in Crawford street 6/11, but, the family left in the 40's and moved to Ash Road. My Aunty ran Crown Mission and I attended there on Sundays for Sunday School and Tuesdays for The Temperence Society. I had quite a few friends that lived in Crawford St. and Cranby St. That would have been for the years 1957 thru' 1970.
We lived in Crawford Street 1956 to 1968. Our house 6 back of 45. Also went to Crown Mission Mrs Stretton was our Sunday School teacher.

I used to go to 'Crown Mission" and I had a few friends from Crawford St, this would have been late 50s early 60s - Henman. Peacock. Edwards Morris. And as my mum used to live there as a child, she also knew many of their parents.
We lived at 6 back of 45 Crawford Street. Our Nan at number 40. A lot of our family lived there Henman, Read & us Peacock we left in 1968.

Sunday School Day trip.jpg
Crown Mission Sunday School day trip. There's a few faces on here I don't recognise, I think they are from Nechells Sunday School, they joined us for a few weeks, while they were looking for somewhere new to hold their meetings. I recognise - Racheal, Edward and Steven and I think that might be me at the back sucking a straw.

We lived in Crawford Street 1956 to 1968. Our house 6 back of 45. Also went to Crown Mission Mrs Stretton was our Sunday School teacher.
I attended Crown Mission Band of Hope from the mid 50s to l970. I was Midland Band of Hope Queen and then went on to become Natio al Band of Hope Queen. Gwen Stretton was in charge and sbe was very instrumental in shaping me into the woman I am today.

Back