• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cox family

Cheryl parry

proper brummie kid
Hi I’m trying to trace the family of my grandmother lillian Edith cox who married David parry and had two kids Glyn and Glenys .they lived in Charlotte rd edgebaston for a while before moving to wales in around 1950 .she had a brother Henry cox .thanks for reading

Glynn and Glenys seem to be registered with mmn Cooke not Cox.

There is a Lilian Edith Cooke born Sep 1921 Bham, daughter of Joseph Cooke and Lily Patrick that matches a death for a Lilian Edith Parry in Wales in 1970. Can't see a marriage for her to a David Parry though (or for a Lilian Cox).

Lilian Edith Cooke had a brother Henry amongst others.

Ok my mum is elderly so maybe got the surname wrong and my dad has passed away recently so only got her info to go on .do u know if there’s any other family from Henry maybe ?

There are a number of marriages for a Henry Cooke in the 1950s but I think he married an Alice J Cumming. If so it doesn't appear they had any children (unless she had been married previously).

Her other siblings were Joseph (b1920) and William (b1923) definitely and possibly Ernest (b1925), Doris (b1927) and Dennis (b1930).

There are a number of marriages for a Henry Cooke in the 1950s but I think he married an Alice J Cumming. If so it doesn't appear they had any children (unless she had been married previously).

Her other siblings were Joseph (b1920) and William (b1923) definitely and possibly Ernest (b1925), Doris (b1927) and Dennis (b1930).
Gosh how do u find out all this stuff have no idea where to find stuff

There are a number of websites you can look at, some are free, some you just need to register and some you have to pay for. You can find out quite a bit.

Do u know any more ?im assuming even the last born sibling has passed away ?did any of them have kids ?thankyou for sharing all the info with me

Sorry missed 2 more - Sydney (b1935) and Margaret R (1937).

Sadly it looks like Doris and Sydney died young.

And unfortunately, I wouldn't be certain of the marriages for any of the others. You may probably need certificates to be certain which but that can become expensive if you're not sure. I'll have another look.

Sorry missed 2 more - Sydney (b1935) and Margaret R (1937).

Sadly it looks like Doris and Sydney died young.

And unfortunately, I wouldn't be certain of the marriages for any of the others. You may probably need certificates to be certain which but that can become expensive if you're not sure. I'll have another look.
Wow they were busy in those days thankyou so much for your help it’s lovely to know these things

Lilian's parents married 25 Jan 1919 at St David's, Bham. His father is listed as William and hers Walter.

According the 1921 census Joseph was born in Hull but I can't see any other mention as such so I'm not sure. Lily was born in Bham, the daughter of Walter Patrick and Celia Warren.

That is all reliant on the info on Lilian being correct.

Lilian's parents married 25 Jan 1919 at St David's, Bham. His father is listed as William and hers Walter.

According the 1921 census Joseph was born in Hull but I can't see any other mention as such so I'm not sure. Lily was born in Bham, the daughter of Walter Patrick and Celia Warren.

That is all reliant on the info on Lilian being correct.
Yes it’s definitely her

I think Ernest probably died young as well.

It is possible that Dennis married a Grace L Lea and had one, possibly 2 daughters.

Again, I'll say that with little corroboration and a fairly common name I'm not totally confident that we have the right family but here goes.

On the 1921 census and the ERs until 1935 Joseph and Lily are listed at 10 court 21 Lower Essex St. On the 1939 register and subsequent ERs they are listed at 12 Newlyn Road.

There are a couple of possible deaths that fit for Joseph - 1940 or 1942 - and a couple for Lily also - 1943 or 1960.

Also listed at Newlyn Road at different times are Henry (with his wife), Margaret R and possibly Lilian. Lilian is from 1955 to 1960 so not sure if that puts a big spanner in the works.

Going further back Lily seems easy to trace but Joseph seems much more tricky. As mentioned on the 1921 census he lists his birthplace as Hull but there doesn't appear to be a match for him.

This is what I know about their children...

Joseph Cooke, b1920 - with parents on 1921 census. Don't know what happened to him.
Lilian Edith Cooke, b 18 Sep 1921, d 1970 - your gran.
William Cooke, b 2 Jun 1923, d 1979 - with parents on 1939 register.
Ernest Cooke, b 1925, d 1926.
Doris Cooke, b 1927, d 1928.
Henry Cooke, b 25 Oct 1928, d 1988 - with parents on 1939 register and on ERs at Newlyn Road.
Dennis Cooke, b 1930, d 2013.
Sydney Cooke, b & d 1935.
Margaret R Cooke, b 1937 - on ERs at Newlyn Road.

There are a number of marriages listed that could be for William but no way to tell which if any are his. As mentioned, Henry appears to marry an Alice J Cumming (she is listed on the ERs at Newlyn Road). There are a couple of possible marriages that could be for Margaret R but again no way to tell which if any are hers.

Which leaves just Dennis who appears to marry a Grace Lilian Lea. They are listed as living in Droitwich from 2002 and there are matching deaths for both in Worcestershire.

Again, I'll say that with little corroboration and a fairly common name I'm not totally confident that we have the right family but here goes.

On the 1921 census and the ERs until 1935 Joseph and Lily are listed at 10 court 21 Lower Essex St. On the 1939 register and subsequent ERs they are listed at 12 Newlyn Road.

There are a couple of possible deaths that fit for Joseph - 1940 or 1942 - and a couple for Lily also - 1943 or 1960.

Also listed at Newlyn Road at different times are Henry (with his wife), Margaret R and possibly Lilian. Lilian is from 1955 to 1960 so not sure if that puts a big spanner in the works.

Going further back Lily seems easy to trace but Joseph seems much more tricky. As mentioned on the 1921 census he lists his birthplace as Hull but there doesn't appear to be a match for him.
Lillian was in wales from around 1951 u tip she died so maybe it does throw a spanner in the works

So, do the dates (1921-1970) match your gran? And what you know for certain is that Lilian was living at Charlotte Road (confirmed by ER) and that she had a brother Henry? Was the Charlotte Road address from a birth certificate? Is there anything else? Do you know if Lilian was from Bham?

I still think the Lilian mentioned is probable (if dates match) and the Lilian on the later ERs could be another relative. They don't tell you a lot unfortunately.

This is 17 Charlotte Road which fortunately (unlike the opposite side of the road) appears to have survived...

This is what I know about their children...

Joseph Cooke, b1920 - with parents on 1921 census. Don't know what happened to him.
Lilian Edith Cooke, b 18 Sep 1921, d 1970 - your gran.
William Cooke, b 2 Jun 1923, d 1979 - with parents on 1939 register.
Ernest Cooke, b 1925, d 1926.
Doris Cooke, b 1927, d 1928.
Henry Cooke, b 25 Oct 1928, d 1988 - with parents on 1939 register and on ERs at Newlyn Road.
Dennis Cooke, b 1930, d 2013.
Sydney Cooke, b & d 1935.
Margaret R Cooke, b 1937 - on ERs at Newlyn Road.

There are a number of marriages listed that could be for William but no way to tell which if any are his. As mentioned, Henry appears to marry an Alice J Cumming (she is listed on the ERs at Newlyn Road). There are a couple of possible marriages that could be for Margaret R but again no way to tell which if any are hers.

Which leaves just Dennis who appears to marry a Grace Lilian Lea. They are listed as living in Droitwich from 2002 and there are matching deaths for both in
So, do the dates (1921-1970) match your gran? And what you know for certain is that Lilian was living at Charlotte Road (confirmed by ER) and that she had a brother Henry? Was the Charlotte Road address from a birth certificate? Is there anything else? Do you know if Lilian was from Bham?

I still think the Lilian mentioned is probable (if dates match) and the Lilian on the later ERs could be another relative. They don't tell you a lot unfortunately.

This is 17 Charlotte Road which fortunately (unlike the opposite side of the road) appears to have survived...

Yes definitely Charlotte rd my dad told me that and David parry was my grandfather living there with her .the dates of birth and death for her at right too.yes think she must have been cos my grandfather went to work there and then they both moved here to wales when my dad was around 10 years old

Back again with more speculation.

As mentioned, there were 2 possible deaths for Joseph - 1940 and 1942 - and I can now rule out the 1942 one. There is a corresponding burial for the 1940 death at Lodge Hill Cemetery which is not far from Newlyn Road.

There were also 2 possible deaths for Lily - 1943 and 1960 - and whilst the age listed would favour the earlier one the corresponding burial is at Yardley Cemetery which is a good distance away. The 1960 death however has a corresponding burial at Lodge Hill which would seem more likely.

So, if (again if) this is correct then the Lilian on the later ERs could be her mother rather your gran which would explain the 'spanner'.

Back again with more speculation.

As mentioned, there were 2 possible deaths for Joseph - 1940 and 1942 - and I can now rule out the 1942 one. There is a corresponding burial for the 1940 death at Lodge Hill Cemetery which is not far from Newlyn Road.

There were also 2 possible deaths for Lily - 1943 and 1960 - and whilst the age listed would favour the earlier one the corresponding burial is at Yardley Cemetery which is a good distance away. The 1960 death however has a corresponding burial at Lodge Hill which would seem more likely.

So, if (again if) this is correct then the Lilian on the later ERs could be her mother rather your gran which would explain the 'spanner'.
Do u know if there are any relatives alive other grandkids like myself ?

As mentioned, the only one of the possible siblings of your gran that had I'd be reasonably confident married and had children would be Dennis.

Fairly certain he had one daughter - Lynette D - and maybe another - Nicola J - but she was much younger so maybe not. Dennis lived in Droitwich before his death and Lynette appears to have lived there for some years.

As mentioned, the only one of the possible siblings of your gran that had I'd be reasonably confident married and had children would be Dennis.

Fairly certain he had one daughter - Lynette D - and maybe another - Nicola J - but she was much younger so maybe not. Dennis lived in Droitwich before his death and Lynette appears to have lived there for some years.
Ok I’ll do some digging see if I can find her thanks

Back