• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cowley Thomas b.1834

There are definitely 4 King/Cowley birth registration Sarah 1898, Jennie 1899, Bessie 1900, Charles 1902 and they are with William & Jane 1911. Apart from Jane (listed as Christina in 1901?) there is a Will b1894 (in 1901 & 1911) and a Rose b1895 (in 1911 only), not sure how they fit in.
Yes, it's not very clear. I also found the 4 King / Cowley births. Apart from those the best I can string together is this: According to census info Jane / Christine's birthplace was Bristol. Rose and Will may possibly have William King as father, as 1911 census says parents' marriage was 20 years long at that point, so possible william was the father but they did not marry officially until 1899 ...? For 1901 census I found a Rosy King aged 5 as a patient in the City Hospital (Ward End, St Margaret) which may explain why she is not shown at family home. No idea about Bristol connection for Christine, maybe linked to Henry Cowley's conviction driving family to change names/move away? ...Henry Cowley and Louisa had 3 living adult children, Jane, Lizzie and John. 1891 census shows - Jane - went to Bristol for a while and used a different name of Porter on return to Bham, Lizzie - with her mother under mother's maiden name of Bennett, John (Thomas Henry Cowley), gunmaker, I can't find on the census at all for 1891, so maybe he and wife Agnes and daughter Agnes born 1886 also changed name. In 1892 they were in New John Street West though (from their daughter Lily's birth certificate).

I mentioned John and Agnes in post #16, they are listed as Crowley at 27 Bullock St in 1891. Possibly a simple error rather tan a deliberate name change.

I did think that Bristol may have just been a mistake, however there is a birth registration for a Christine Cowley Sep qtr 1888 in Bedminster (covers part of Bristol), no mmn. And a death registration in Bham 1908.

William King is in Sherston, Wiltshire in 1891 which is about 5 miles from Bristol, so it would be nice to think that he may have been the father of Christine as well, but seems unlikely.

Last edited:
I mentioned John and Agnes in post #16, they are listed as Crowley at 27 Bullock St in 1891. Possibly a simple error rather tan a deliberate name change.

I did think that Bristol may have just been a mistake, however there is a birth registration for a Christine Cowley Sep qtr 1888 in Bedminster (covers part of Bristol), no mmn. And a death registration in Bham 1908.

William King is in Sherston, Wiltshire in 1891 which is about 5 miles from Bristol, so it would be nice to think that he may have been the father of Christine as well, but seems unlikely.
Sorry, I overlooked #16, got it now. Thank you so much for your help with this, I now know alot more about the Cowleys than when I started.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back