• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Court Rd Balsall Heath Bombing Nov19 1940

There appear to be several mentions of the church in the newspapers after the war. Also a different site suggests that there are church records available up until 1955.

If it was bombed and survived or rebuilt I don't know. There are war dead in Balsall Heath listed for that date.

Last edited:
Thanks a million a tiny lead
There appear to be several mentions of the church in the newspapers after the war. Also a different site suggests that there are church records available up until 1955.

If it was bombed and survived or rebuilt I don't know. There are war dead in Balsall Heath listed for that date.
Wg

Where would I find a list of War dead please? On the night of 19/20 Nov 1940 my stepfather killed at 10 Court Rd.

Here is a map from the 1950s which shows the chruch still standing, and marking no 10 Cirt Road in red. It can be seen that between no 10 and the church is a building marked ruin, which presumably was damaged by bombing.

map showing St Thomas in Moor church and 10 court road in 1950s.jpg

Thanks a million a tiny lead

Wg

Where would I find a list of War dead please? On the night of 19/20 Nov 1940 my stepfather killed at 10 Court Rd.
i take it this is your stepfather..this is from the BARRA database...his name should be on the tree of life civilian war dead memorial in the city centre ..i also have a book that lists all the names of civilians in birmingham who died..happy to look up any names....lyn

Results​

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
O'LearyJeremiah20/11/194010 Court Road, Balsall Heath39Civilian

Last edited:
He is also listed in the Barra Database I mentioned in post#7. It also gives a description of the raid on that night in Birmingham.
Untitled.jpg

He is also listed in the Barra Database I mentioned in post#7. It also gives a description of the raid on that night in Birmingham.
View attachment 178060
So grateful never seen this. It was said that ours was a landline. I remember the Warden carrying my brother from the collapsed Anderson and running as well as we could across Calthorpe Park to the Public Shelter after the bomb.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back