• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Corkhill 55 steward street ladywood

Kate1992

proper brummie kid
My grandmother has this address on her birth certificate. We know she lived with her grandad william h corkhill. Does anyone know of the corkhill family who once lived in the area. My grandmothers mom was may corkhill, Williams daughter with Emma Cook. May has been almost a ghost in researching the family. If any of these names mean anything to anyone I'd appreciate the help. Thankyou

An interesting and well travelled family. May's sisters had unusual names.

I can see May on the 1939 register with her father and step mother at Steward St.

Have you or are you looking to trace her? One interesting thing is that her dob is given as 7th Nov 1918 and there is a death for a May Webster in Bham 1970 with that dob. Can't see another May on the 1939 register with that dob, though that doesn't always mean much.

Yes her sisters were adelphine and zellah catherine. My great great grandmother was from St hermine in France. I have them all on my tree and I've dna matched with relatives etc. May died May webster she never married but used that last name she died in 1970 in ladywood I believe. I am waiting for her death certificate as my grandmother told us she was murdered. She was a prostitute this is why I don't think I can find her anywhere. She was in London at a point and went to holloway prison. My grandmother maureen corkhill I can't find on any census as a child or teen. I was hoping maybe someone local to ladywood might know more about the family. But that's fantastic I've never found her on a census is the step mother violet. Violet had a daughter vera with William and although she was my nans aunt she always said they were more like sisters as vera was only 8 year's older then my nan. I met vera throughout my childhood my nan always stayed close with her. I know my nans biological grandmother emma died in 1925 when she was about 40. Thankyou for answering. Is the census for May violet and William at 55 steward Street? Thankyou for you reply.

You're unlikely to see any trace of your grandmother until she was 18 and then she would appear on the electoral rolls. She should be listed on the 1951 census (there wasn't one in 1941) but censuses are not allowed to be published for 100 years.

Yes, stepmother was Violet (Hanks) who already had a son Dennis and as well as Vera there was a son Ronald Corkhill. Violet remarried in 1951 (James F Dawes).

The 1939 register wasn't a proper census but they are listed at 55 Steward Street on it.

Your great grandmother must have had a hard life, did she have another child in 1951 (Michael) ?

Thankyou. Yes my grandmother went into care for a while before she was 8 and then she went to live with William and violet. I think violet did marry again my dad remembers violet he said she was a lovely woman. He also met my nans mum once on a farm some family owned he said in Wales. I'm yet to look for that but from what he said may expected to inherit the farm but didn't. My nan spent her teen year's there after william died. And that's amazing weve always wondered if there where anymore children so it's highly possible. I will have to look into that. But yes me and my sister have tried to see where it all went wrong for her. Her mum died when she was about 7 so that must have been hard. She fell into a life of drugs by the time she had my nan and died when my nan was 31. My grandmother used to tell us stories about her childhood and as we got older the more darker stuff but sadly she passed away in 2010 after I had my first daughter so I've had to go on everything she's told us in the past. But may as far as we know was never married but my dad said he was told to call her nanny webster. I wonder if the family who owned the farm were websters? Thankyou for looking into it with me though. It's quite the mystery. I have however received May's birth certificate today which confirms her date of birth as the same one for the webster death certificate so I'm going to go ahead and order it. She also was born at 55 steward Street. Here is a photo of it.

hello kate...we have a thread for steward st you could be interested in..the thread shows a photo of steward st school with children in the playground dated 1918 at some point i think may would have attended this school..the school is still there and the thread also shows photos that i took of it a few years ago...click on below link actually i think i have some old photos of steward st before demo so i will post them on the steward st thread asap

lyn

Thankyou lyn. I'll come and check it out. I did look on a oldladywood website and noticed there was a school on the street and thought may must have attended.

Emma Cook's birth was registered Mar qtr 1883, so her age given at death is slightly out.

Wonder what took Emma's grandfather, a fairly mundane puddler, to western (?) France.

I'm not sure I haven't got Emma's birth or death certificate yet. And I wouldn't know why or how he met her but through ancestry I've done dna and have linked dna matches through her. I recently spoke to a 2nd cousin who gave me more information on her. His surname was chalmers and his dad was born on steward Street and grew up there. He has actually visited where she was from looking for more information. And as for my grandmothers mum we have done the same thing we thought surely it would be in some newspaper but couldn't find anything that is why her death certificate is important to us. She was definitely murdered and we do have some detail how but we came to the conclusion that it wouldn't have been massive news she would of been seen as a junkie and a prostitute and I'm not sure how much sympathy that would of got her back then. But as I said I will get her death certificate and am more than happy to share it with you. It's something we've always spoke of as a family but never known the full details. My dad said she spent time in holloway prison she spent some time in London in the late 40's early 50's. I did try to find records for that with no luck but I am by no means a professional researcher.

After a bit more digging on thomas Aston I've found that yes he's registered as a puddler when he's married to adelphine but I have found him in a directory. Did you notice their son is a fine art fitter I wonder what that entailed back then. I still have more to look through for him.
Katie

Thomas Aston appears to be quite a popular name, can't see a connection to your Thomas and either of those two.

I don't know honestly he must have been an unemployed waste of space that managed to somehow catch the eye of a lady from France. I do apologise for coming on here to ask for help I didn't realise this wasn't a place for help. I won't bother you again. I did just screenshot all of my dna matches on ancestry to hortense but what's the point it's probably not even my dna if I was to ask you. Thankyou for replying to me take care,
Katie

Back