• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steward Street School

Astoness, that sums up my thoughts well. How did those young people cope with the sudden changes in their lives.

it must have been so hard for them tony and for the family they had to leave behind to cope as best they could with no man in the house...very brave men in both wars and a lot of under age signing up as well..i have great respect for them all

lyn

I have a photo of my Father, George Green's class in the yard of the Steward Street School, circa 1918.

Attachments

• 1918 or 1919 George Green back row 4th from left 01.3.jpg
    1918 or 1919 George Green back row 4th from left 01.3.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 32
I really enjoyed reading this thread (and the other one about the Cross Keys Pub) Some of my family lived in Steward Street from 1914, the earliest date I can find, up until my Great Grandmother's death in 1941. I know her son, my Grandfather lived in the same house with his wife and child, my Dad, in the 1920s and my Dad would have possibly attended Steward St. School as a boy.
Listening to some of the tales told to me as a child both my Grandfather and his father would have drunk in the Cross Keys.
The family name at the time was Cunningham and had a bit of a reputation as rogues, especially my Great Grandfather who. from his police record which I discovered on Ancestry, was not a particularly nice person especially when in drink.
My grandfather took his mother's maiden name and as far as I'm aware the Cunningham line of the family died out with the death of my Great Uncle.

smashing family history jmadone glad you are enjoying reading the threads i think if we dig deep enough most of us will have a rogue in the family..so far i have found a couple of them.:D:D

lyn

thanks julian...i was just trying to work out how old your dad was in that photo...about 8 or 9 looks about right

lyn

Did anyone who has contributed to this thread know that as a young man, Field Marshal Viscount Slim of 14 Army Burma fame worked for a short time as a student, or trainee teacher at this school in Ladywood ?

this info is from wiki....

William Slim was born at 72 Belmont Road, St Andrews, Bristol, the son of John Slim by his marriage to Charlotte Tucker, and was baptised there at St Bonaventure's Roman Catholic church, Bishopston. He was brought up first in Bristol, attending St Bonaventure's Primary School, then St Brendan's College, before moving to Birmingham in his teens. In Birmingham, he attended St Philip's Grammar School, Edgbaston, and King Edward's School. After leaving school, his father's failure in business as a wholesale ironmonger meant that the family could afford to send only one son, Slim's older brother, to the University of Birmingham, so between 1910 and 1914 Slim taught in a primary school and worked as a clerk in Stewarts & Lloyds, a metal-tube maker.

Hi Astoness,I am from Ladywood and lived in Ruston Street And latterly in Anderton StreetI now live in Stirling.Iam great fan of Bill Slim and was amazed on reading a recent biography under the title Uncle Bill that the school he had taught in was Steward Street.I just wondered if anyone else was aware of his connection with that school

well i was not aware of it so its another bit of of brum history for our archives so thank you for bringing it to our attention...not sure about rushton st but i am pretty sure there are a couple of photos of anderton st on the forum unless you have already found them

lyn

Hi Lynn thanks for the info on Anderton Street,I think I may have confused you ,it was Ruston Street which was off Broad Street opposite St. Martins Street

Some happy faces (but a sad occasion before the school closure) in this 1969 photo. Viv.

E9DCB465-2EA9-4F39-97E9-7D449A19B9C5.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

What a lovely thread. My family were the corkhills. They lived at 55 steward Street and I think would most likely have attended this school. Does anyone know of the corkhills? I'm currently building my family tree and know up to william h corkhill my 2nd great grandfather. My great grandmother has 55 as her birth address and so does my grandmother.
Katie.

hi kate another thread for you to look at about the cross keys pub steward st...a few photos of it

Steward Street School in 1949. Looks like an art or craft class, very relaxed ! One girl has taken over the class teacher’s chair and desk. Viv.8E97520D-46BB-4CF1-A066-BD3D4E6BCED1.jpeg

Attachments

• A886371C-D98D-487B-BFFF-41CFF9B21236.jpeg
    A886371C-D98D-487B-BFFF-41CFF9B21236.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 12
Or perhaps, Viv, They were suffering a shortage of teachers and reverting to the Victorian habit of putting more senior pupils in charge of classes !! If the government's enthusiasm for form filling, listings, evaluations and testing drives away even more teachers from the profession , then that idea might return.

Back