• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Convalescent Home

cookie273uk

master brummie
When I was about 11 or 12 ( 1941-1942) I was in the General Hospital for a minor operation, afterwards I spent 2 weeks convalescence in a place in or near Coleshill which appeared to be staffed by Nuns, would anyone know what the name of this place would have been, often wondered. Eric

That was probably Father Hudson's Home. My cousin was in there for about 6 months after a major operation. I think the building's still there.

Big Gee

When I was about 11 or 12 ( 1941-1942) I was in the General Hospital for a minor operation, afterwards I spent 2 weeks convalescence in a place in or near Coleshill which appeared to be staffed by Nuns, would anyone know what the name of this place would have been, often wondered. Eric

THERE WERE SEVERAL HOMES IN COLESHILL,ALL UNDER THE FATHER HUDSONS ADMINISTRATION. (1) ST EDWARDS
CONTANING 4 HOUSE BLOCKS (BOYS ) ONLY.(2) ST JOANS (GIRLS) ONLY. ST ANDREWS (BOYS) ONLY.ATTATCHED ALSO WAS AN ORTHPEDIC HOSPITAL ( ST GERARDS) ALL THESE HOMES WERE RUN BY NUNS.SISTERS OF CHARITY ST PAUL.. All closed in the 1970's hope this helps
morris116

Eric, that would have been Saint Gerards, it is on the same complex as the other homes, but was always a hospital based service, as you rightly say, run by the nuns. It was a sanatorium and latterly an orthopaedic hospital, but sadly was closed in 1998. Last time I was there,the buildings still remained but I believe they are to be demolished and the land sold - I will check that out later.
The reason I know about it was that I worked there from 1991 to 1996 and loved it,the nuns ruled with a rod of iron but were so kind.
We used to take in respite care patients from the North Warwickshire community to enable their carers to have a break and picked them up in a red minibus, dubbed the "Happy Bus" by the patients. Most of them enjoyed their stay as the grounds and outlook was beautiful.
We also used to look after poorly priests from around Birmingham before they moved on to longer term care.
It was alovely place to work and the girls who were still there when it closed still have regular reunions.
Sue

You are right Sue the buildings look very sad all boarded up,I expect soon it will be another housing complex.
The Church is still there though.

THERE WERE SEVERAL HOMES IN COLESHILL,ALL UNDER THE FATHER HUDSONS ADMINISTRATION. (1) ST EDWARDS
CONTANING 4 HOUSE BLOCKS (BOYS ) ONLY.(2) ST JOANS (GIRLS) ONLY. ST ANDREWS (BOYS) ONLY.ATTATCHED ALSO WAS AN ORTHPEDIC HOSPITAL ( ST GERARDS) ALL THESE HOMES WERE RUN BY NUNS.SISTERS OF CHARITY ST PAUL.. All closed in the 1970's hope this helps
morris116

Hi Morris,

my cousin must have been in St Gerards as she had surgery on her spine. Probably she was moved to St Joans to convalesce. This was in the 1950's, and my memory's a bit hazy. I do remember the tears every time we visited....

Big Gee

HI Stitcher
there was a converless home run by the unions for workers whom was suffereing from industreal illness or accidents
which was down in wales which was organised by the trade unions
i think it was tonebaye or some think like that did any body ever go there this is in the thirtys or just before or around the forties period
best wishes astonion

Hello Astonian, a bit before my time I am afraid but I was aware of that scheme when I got older.

Eric, that would have been Saint Gerards, it is on the same complex as the other homes, but was always a hospital based service, as you rightly say, run by the nuns. It was a sanatorium and latterly an orthopaedic hospital, but sadly was closed in 1998. Last time I was there,the buildings still remained but I believe they are to be demolished and the land sold - I will check that out later.
The reason I know about it was that I worked there from 1991 to 1996 and loved it,the nuns ruled with a rod of iron but were so kind.
We used to take in respite care patients from the North Warwickshire community to enable their carers to have a break and picked them up in a red minibus, dubbed the "Happy Bus" by the patients. Most of them enjoyed their stay as the grounds and outlook was beautiful.
We also used to look after poorly priests from around Birmingham before they moved on to longer term care.
It was alovely place to work and the girls who were still there when it closed still have regular reunions.
Sue

Hi Sue
I was an NHS patient at St Gerards in 1983 and have been trying to find information about it for the past few months but there doesnt seem to be much info at all on it. Could you tell me exactly where it was in Coleshill as I would like to go back to see if it still looks how I remember it, thats if it is still there at all. For some reason I have it in my head that it was in Water Orton, my mum seems to think it was. I am not sure, all I remember was that it was run by nuns, there was a girl who lived on the ward who had spinabifida, i think her name was Wendy, but cant be positive about that! My recollections are very hazy but I remember having to wait for hours in the morning to use commode to go to the loo cos there was only one on the ward and just about every patient in there needed to use it!! I was in there for about two weeks in the summer of 1983 to have an operation on both of my feet. Do you know if there are any patient records available to the general public??
I would be really interested to hear of any info you have on the hospital and the building, or if you know of any photos that exist, cant seem to find any of those either!!
thanks for your time

liz

Back