• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

i did ask all that info at Bt, . and was told if there is a break in the fiber cable there is not much you can do untill it is repaired.....2025 is the end of copper LL.

i have a gen that powers my hovel/pc if the power goes off

My broadband supplier is the same as my mobile network. Their solution to a broadband outage that they are responsible for, as they were last week, is to drop 200Gb extra onto my mobile data allowance for the month. I can then switch to phone hotspot mode. Fine for me, but for those with poor mobile coverage ?? When the broadband light goes off, I get a text within half an hour telling me of the mobile addition.
Andrew.

My broadband supplier is the same as my mobile network. Their solution to a broadband outage that they are responsible for, as they were last week, is to drop 200Gb extra onto my mobile data allowance for the month. I can then switch to phone hotspot mode. Fine for me, but for those with poor mobile coverage ?? When the broadband light goes off, I get a text within half an hour telling me of the mobile addition.
Andrew.
That’s a great deal! Before we installed our broadband last year we used our phones as hot spots for our computer, a little slower than we are used to but worked fine and we were able to stream Masterpiece Theater!
who is you broadband provider?

who is you broadband provider?
We are with Orange. They used to be France Telecom. They provide the infrastructure, and the other three big boys tend to ride on their fibres. They also provide our mobile connection, and the whole thing is wrapped up in a single package. They are not the cheapest over here, but the service taken as a whole is pretty good. They have a cheaper level called SOSH, but it is a pruned down offering in terms of ‘extras’, such as response to problems.
Andrew.

We are with Orange. They used to be France Telecom. They provide the infrastructure, and the other three big boys tend to ride on their fibres. They also provide our mobile connection, and the whole thing is wrapped up in a single package. They are not the cheapest over here, but the service taken as a whole is pretty good. They have a cheaper level called SOSH, but it is a pruned down offering in terms of ‘extras’, such as response to problems.
Andrew.
Are they independent or did they just change their name?

Whats the port that looks like HDMI but isn t? and why have they changed hdmi for this is it better?

pete very confused

Whats the port that looks like HDMI but isn t? and why have they changed hdmi for this is it better?

pete very confused
Pete, HDMI is definitely the way to go. If your pc doesn`t have HDMI you may need a usb to HDMI cable. I think your pc will have to have usb3 to use this cable. Usb3 is identified by blue in the slot. Hope this makes sense !

If the Optiplex video out is DisplayPort and your monitor is HDMI then you will need a DisplayPort cable into an adapter to a HDMI cable

i will order one thanks OM and others for your help i wondered why i could not get the plugs in i try'd for ages thinking it was hdmi i must go to s/savers.

Yesterday I watched the England v Iran match on my tv and took the BBC option to watch in UHD ... it comes through the iPlayer. All looked good apart from needing a slight brightness increase. Decided to watch BBC UHD output today but a code number showed on the tv which I needed to enter on a computer before I could access the UHD pic on the tv. Big scramble finding my password but got there eventually and my broadband FTTC has no problem streaming the data.

i only watch movies etc on my pc there is no tv sig here in the sticks, so now i use the tv set as a computer monitor not such good graphics as the pc monitor but a lot bigger. be better when they connect my FTTH:grinning:

Has anyone used a Mesh wifi system suitable for use in buildings with thick stone walls?
A normal Sky router's wifi has great difficulty penetrating stone walls and wifi extenders such as TP link etc require logging on to the extenders and has not been very .successful when used. It appears that Mesh systems act as a large single network according to adverts ...

Is that the sort that connect through the electrical outlets
It creates a mesh or net using plug in devices. We have one, our house is brick and large relatively. We use for wifi and security devices. We have had it for about a year and works very well but not sure about stone.

Is that the sort that connect through the electrical outlets
No it is different. The 'through the mains' links do work but the 'extender' at the end of the link has a password and moving about the house with old stone walls requires it log in to the extender. If 'whats app' audio calls are in progress moving from room to room causes momentarily loss of connection which often end the calls. A mesh system is like having the same network wifi all over the house - the device in use seamlessly connects and the wifi log-in is same all over, so the adverts say.
Stone walls seem to easily block 2.4Ghz and definitely 5Ghz wifi.

Broadband over power lines​

that is a nightmare for us radio hams
I noticed interference on my scanner radio when I was near a TP link
I've just watched the following 20 minute Youtube which explains most of setting up Mesh.
Please note there are other Mesh systems available from other manufacturers

I noticed interference on my scanner radio when I was near a TP link
I've just watched the following 20 minute Youtube which explains most of setting up Mesh.
Please note there are other Mesh systems available from other manufacturers
That is basically what we have. Our system is Ring and the router is hidden. It works very well with no cold or blank spots. We have three outside cameras and door bell that take their feed from the mesh, so far with no drops. No drop reports from the system monitor. The router is AT&T 1gig. Lots of speed streaming 4 TVs. Was hesitant at first, thought it might be an up sell but it works well and reliably.

A Broadband story ... :)
My broadband had recently been dropping out intermittently and my usual 40mbps had reduced to 23 so I clicked the call-back button on the BT Hub manager. A lady from BT soon called back and after many settings and tests she said it was a line fault between the street cabinet and my house and they would fix it within 5 days. Next day BT sent a EE Mini Hub with unlimited data in case the line completely failed.

With my current 'slow' download speed of 23 I tried a simultaneous streaming test.
BBC UHD 4K football match on my TV
Same match hi res on my desktop PC
A film streaming on my iPad
Two Alexas streaming radio
Looking at Youtube on my laptop.

It was a bit noisy but all ran perfectly with no buffering so why would I need broadband faster than 40mbps?

A Broadband story ... :)
My broadband had recently been dropping out intermittently and my usual 40mbps had reduced to 23 so I clicked the call-back button on the BT Hub manager. A lady from BT soon called back and after many settings and tests she said it was a line fault between the street cabinet and my house and they would fix it within 5 days. Next day BT sent a EE Mini Hub with unlimited data in case the line completely failed.

With my current 'slow' download speed of 23 I tried a simultaneous streaming test.
BBC UHD 4K football match on my TV
Same match hi res on my desktop PC
A film streaming on my iPad
Two Alexas streaming radio
Looking at Youtube on my laptop.

It was a bit noisy but all ran perfectly with no buffering so why would I need broadband faster than 40mbps?
It is certainly something I had been thinking about. The providers tend to keep your usage a secret, so as a consumer you are never quite sure you have sufficient speed for the things you do.

It then makes the choice of providers difficult, steering you towards remaining with your more expensive provider with an over provision of your needs.

Back